Atacking other dog when leaving a room - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Atacking other dog when leaving a room

Hi,

I am really hoping that one of you good folks can help me, I'm at my whits end, stressed and don't know what to do, so here goes:

When my dogs *think* they are going to be let out of a room, or their yard etc...the female GSD (2.5 years old) will viciously go for the male GSD's (4 years old) back legs. When this happens she is very aggressive and seems like she is in such a frenzy that she is oblivious to what is happening around her. I always have to get in there with physical force to break it up. Shortly after I have broken them up she will go back to normal and they will be fine with each other again. Yesterday when I jumped in to separate them she accidentally latched onto my ankle instead of the other dogs back legs. She let go straight away but I've still got 3 puncture wounds on side of my foot. It takes getting bitten fully realize the power they have. Just to make clear she wasn't going for me, I jumped in there in a really stupid way.

I really need to find a solution to stop this, separating them forever is not really an option long term and I worry that this behavior may begin to manifest in other undesirable ways.

So any advice on why this might be happening and how to counter it would be really appreciated.

Thanks
woody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

First and best suggestion is get a trainer. Put a drag lesh on the bad dog (short leash with no handles). If this is prefered method of attack? Have her is a down stay and have the other dog leave or enter then release her.

If she won't stay...there is your first problem she does not respect you as a leader. Even if she does you can still get blow back as to who runs the crew! Had that problem myself, I was in charge of the ship...my GSD wanted to run the crew!

Having said that these are some of the things you need to know:

https://suite.io/adrienne-farricelli/2t5h2q5
Leerburg Dog Training | Dealing with the Dominant Dog
Two or More Dogs

More info here:
:Aggression after walks

And this:
New Dog, Very Challenging

So look at the links I posted make some changes where needed, that "might" solve it. Don't give her another chance to keep doing this or you can have two dogs with problems!

There is more but you need to have the basics covered first.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ouch, your poor ankle! I've noticed my pup gets riled up going into the back yard too, and gets overexcited with our other dog. He's trained to stay and wait at the front door, as a safety precaution, and he has to wait for the release word. But I'm also using that at the back door these days, so that our older dog doesn't have to deal with him bashing past her and waiting to charge her while she goes down the steps. This works perfectly!
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
Ouch, your poor ankle! I've noticed my pup gets riled up going into the back yard too, and gets overexcited with our other dog. He's trained to stay and wait at the front door, as a safety precaution, and he has to wait for the release word. But I'm also using that at the back door these days, so that our older dog doesn't have to deal with him bashing past her and waiting to charge her while she goes down the steps. This works perfectly!
The door dash I think was the source of my issues, on walks I have them wait and then I did a "go for it release".

Yeah..that did not work out to well for me in the long run!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I stumbled upon the solution: give the release word and then walk back into the house, lol! Really, this worked for me - my pup was flying off the deck and I didn't want to use a leash (ahem, lol) to slow him down, so I tried getting him to focus more on what I was up to, rather than what thrilling new scents were out on the lawn. Try it!
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

this sounds like redirected aggression borne of excitement or overstimulation

i agree with the others
leash the female

however this is probably only a temporary fix and she may start amping up when the leash comes out so be aware of that

i really dont know how to permanently fix this issue and have been largely unsuccessful with fixing this type of aggression and i have found management is the key
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks so much for the feedback guys, Chip18 - great articles & some good DVD's on the leerburg product page that I will check out.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Having 2 GSDs myself, this sounds like over excitement (it's always the girl too!). If it were me, I would leash the female until she is calmer and then release her. Once you release her in a calm state, if she still goes for the male, put her on leash again. She will soon realise you mean business and if she doesn't stop her bad behaviour she won't get to enjoy the yard etc. It shouldn't take too long for her to figure this out, you must be consistent in taking control and showing her that her behaviour is not acceptable.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have a similar issue with one of my dogs. My Labrador "attacks" the other dogs as they go outside for first morning potty and after work potty. It's excitement and redirection of said excitement.

I have tried just about everything, nothing has worked. So now she goes out last by herself. Once that initial time out had happened she is perfectly fine every other time.

Sorry. Instead of stressing too much about it, and putting lines on dogs and harsh corrections, I just manage. Although with my Lab, a long line and stern correction would probably work. Have not tried that, hmmmm. Love it when a solution comes to you out of nowhere.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 04-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Have her sit and stay and let the other dog roam around if she is ok with you then slowly leave the room when its just her and the other dog if she starts barking then scold her firmly.
scout172 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.