German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Aggression (the good, the bad & the ugly) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/)
-   -   Not getting along all of a sudden (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/428498-not-getting-along-all-sudden.html)

stmcfred 03-23-2014 10:28 PM

Not getting along all of a sudden

Lola has been fighting with Connor for about a week or two now. I'm not sure what to do. They get along fine one moment then the next all heck breaks out and I have to pull them apart.

Lola is the more dominant one and is always the one that starts it.

For instance, today I was doing some stretching. Lola was laying in the corner of the room (not too far away) and Connor came in the room and up to me. Lola quickly gets up and then I have to pull them apart. I told Lola no and put her in the crate.

Earlier today it was because Connor had a toy she wanted. I did go through the house and put away ALL toys, bones, etc.. I had been giving them treats and bully sticks while they are separated for a while now because of that.

Yesterday, it was because Connor took a drink out of her bowl. And several other times, where I'm not even sure what happened. I ended up crating Lola for a while because they just kept at it.

I really need to fix this issue, but I don't know how. I know Lola doesn't care of other dogs but her and Connor have always played well together until recently.

Oh, and it's only in the house. Outside they play awesome together.

Lola is 7 months old, unspayed. Connor is 9 years and neutered. He's a 90 pound mixed breed.

stmcfred 03-24-2014 08:28 AM

Anyone?

Baillif 03-24-2014 08:57 AM

I'd either manage them separately unless I was around to monitor them or start punishing (think physical punishment not time outs) Lola for starting stuff or messing with Connor or a combination of the two.

Blanketback 03-24-2014 10:57 AM

I wonder if she's acting like this because she's going into heat? That's something I don't know anything about. I do know that if you want to stop this behavior, you have to intervene long before it gets to the point of pulling them apart. Don't give her a chance to even try! As already mentioned, separate them - or if she's the sole instigator, then tether her when you can't intercept before it happens.

stmcfred 03-24-2014 12:18 PM

I've been trying to manage them separately. It's hard because they are both my dogs and always want to be around me. When Lola isn't crated, she's at my side. Connor isn't always by me, but I'd say about 90% of the time he is.

What do you mean by physical punishment? I don't keep her prong on her unless we are training, and I don't want to hit her.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 5257458)
I'd either manage them separately unless I was around to monitor them or start punishing (think physical punishment not time outs) Lola for starting stuff or messing with Connor or a combination of the two.

Baillif 03-24-2014 12:21 PM

Start keeping the prong on her then or get an e collar and use that. Sometimes training isnt sits downs and stays sometimes its dont be a jerk to my other dog.

Cheyanna 03-24-2014 12:25 PM

It is likely she is about to go into heat. Fiona and her sister have been fighting for the last few weeks. They are both in heat now. We use the prong and keep them on a leash. Yesterday when they started growling at each other through the fence. I pulled Fiona's leash, made her go in a down and then rolled her on her side. I held her there until she calmed down. When you cannot supervise them, keep them separate.

stmcfred 03-24-2014 01:33 PM

I never thought of that since she's 7 months. I don't know anything about females in heat as I've never had one.

I don't know how to intervene long before it starts, because one moment they are the best of friends and it happens in such a split second. I do get them separated pretty quickly. She has growled a few times and I was able to get her calmed down before anything happened.

I can tether her to me, which I have before. But then anytime my other dog comes close to me she gets mad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blanketback (Post 5258002)
I wonder if she's acting like this because she's going into heat? That's something I don't know anything about. I do know that if you want to stop this behavior, you have to intervene long before it gets to the point of pulling them apart. Don't give her a chance to even try! As already mentioned, separate them - or if she's the sole instigator, then tether her when you can't intercept before it happens.

stmcfred 03-24-2014 01:34 PM

I will keep the prong on her then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 5258546)
Start keeping the prong on her then or get an e collar and use that. Sometimes training isnt sits downs and stays sometimes its dont be a jerk to my other dog.

stmcfred 03-24-2014 01:35 PM

I hope that's all it is. I do put her in a down/stay. I'll try rolling her over on her side next time. And she'll have a prong on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheyanna (Post 5258578)
It is likely she is about to go into heat. Fiona and her sister have been fighting for the last few weeks. They are both in heat now. We use the prong and keep them on a leash. Yesterday when they started growling at each other through the fence. I pulled Fiona's leash, made her go in a down and then rolled her on her side. I held her there until she calmed down. When you cannot supervise them, keep them separate.