Can he be placed? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can he be placed?

Unhappy Brutus Buckeye

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi. I just joined yesterday. Unfortunately we have a problem with our beloved Brutus Buckeye. He badly bit a child who was playing with our two granddaughters in our house. Everything worked out fine with the child, her mom and her grandparents. One attitude is that he needs to be put down. Another (mine) is that surely there is a place for him with someone else in the right environment. Help.

Thanks for the responses. Here is more background. Brutus had been a problem at his prior residence as he had nipped at a couple of kids (always around the granddaughters) so I guess he was showing his protectiveness. We now have him at our house 95 percent of the time and we just moved to be close to the grandkids. The child he bit a few days ago was new to him. There was a puncture of the forearm, a gash in the calf and a bite in the back that showed all four canine teeth in action. Fortunately he released, probably when I intervened. He is now four and we got him when he was two. He had training at about one year old but I don't know what kind.

Last edited by Chevalrouge; 03-14-2014 at 02:42 PM. Reason: further explanation
Chevalrouge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

oh boy. IMO, that is not a bite, that is an attack. Bite marks in three different areas of the body? On a child? How old is the child?

No, he can not be placed. You can not pass off a problem dog on to someone else, especially with a history like that. Either keep him isolated away from children and up his obedience dramatically with a good trainer. Or euthanize him.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I agree, that sounds more like an attack and not a bite. Since there is a prior history of him being aggressive with kids, I wonder why he was allowed around children now. Especially children he doesn't know.
stmcfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Agreed with the above. Where are you located?
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This dog had a history of biting a child before you had him. Yet you allow him to be near children again?

Would you want to pass him down the line to do it again? You have 2 choices here: euthanize him, which I'm hoping you don't want to do or CRATE HIM when you have children around.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The dog is wired wrong.

Unless you are willing and able to properly crate or kennel him, and I mean LOCK so children CANNOT get to him. Then, do the kind thing and take him to the vet and have him euthanized.

No other child should ever be subjected to an attack by this dog.

I am sorry, but no rescue will work with such a dog. And no shelter will do anything with him but euthanize him. It is far kinder to go and be with him that to throw him into a kennel where he will be dragged along by strangers to the room and have it done.

I think it would be wrong to rehome this dog to anyone. While you may be totally clear and open with his history and why you are rehoming him, those people may not be. And then another child is attacked. This is very bad for the breed and dog owners everywhere.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Bad scene, i am sorry you are going through this, Selzer is correct rescues will not take him and shelters will destroy him once they know all the info. To rehome him would not be fair to anyone.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Everything mentioned above is correct. PTS or absolutely no contact with children. At what point are you legally responsible for the actions of your dog? With a knowledge of prior attacks... That's negligent at best. If it were my kid, you'd be paying the med bills and then some and on top of that I'd be seeking criminal charges if possible in that state.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

In this case, pretty much agree with the others and I'm usually about giving the dog the benefit of the doubt.

if you decide to euth due to the bite most states have a waiting period, for ensuring there is no possibility of rabies transmission and you'll need to keep him locked away from children, securely, at all times.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I am sorry, but no rescue will work with such a dog. And no shelter will do anything with him but euthanize him.
I agree with one important caveat: no responsible rescue or shelter will take this dog. Not with that bite history.

You may, if you look long enough and are willing to pay generously enough, find a less responsible rescue and/or "no-kill sanctuary" that is willing to take the dog.

I would be very, very careful about entrusting any dog to such an organization. While it's tempting to imagine that they offer a happy solution to your dilemma, the great majority of groups willing to take dogs with this type of bite history are clueless, delusional, and/or exploitative, and the fate that ultimately awaits animals in their care is far worse than the merciful end of a needle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.