German Shepherds Forum banner

Can he be placed?

18K views 174 replies 32 participants last post by  my boy diesel 
#1 · (Edited)
Unhappy Brutus Buckeye

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi. I just joined yesterday. Unfortunately we have a problem with our beloved Brutus Buckeye. He badly bit a child who was playing with our two granddaughters in our house. Everything worked out fine with the child, her mom and her grandparents. One attitude is that he needs to be put down. Another (mine) is that surely there is a place for him with someone else in the right environment. Help.

Thanks for the responses. Here is more background. Brutus had been a problem at his prior residence as he had nipped at a couple of kids (always around the granddaughters) so I guess he was showing his protectiveness. We now have him at our house 95 percent of the time and we just moved to be close to the grandkids. The child he bit a few days ago was new to him. There was a puncture of the forearm, a gash in the calf and a bite in the back that showed all four canine teeth in action. Fortunately he released, probably when I intervened. He is now four and we got him when he was two. He had training at about one year old but I don't know what kind.

See less See more
#147 ·
Do you know why I think THIS dog should be put down? It is because THIS dog did something that IS NOT normal behavior for a GSD. A bite can be normal behavior. Several bites can be normal if we are talking about a serious threat, that is fighting back. But several bites on a seven year old kid is NOT normal behavior.

:thumbup:

so basically this is a temperamental issue
the other situation was a management issue and a dog who has been let rule the roost

in my opinion (only my opinion)
a temperament issue would be euthanized
while a management issue could be worked with

now this temperament issue might be able to be managed
and a management issue may need to be put to sleep

but this is how i see dogs and their biting
i am not afraid of management issues because i am good at managing my dogs and even other dogs

but temperament issues are a whole nother ball of wax
something i dont have time to sort or work with quite honestly
if someone else feels they can that is fine

i think the problem is too many are seeing this situation in this thread as merely management and they need to realize it is more of a temperament issue
since it is temperament there is no drawing the line at what this dog might do

#148 · (Edited)
Aw finally something solid to work with!

I don't know about his temperament, So I'll accept your take on his temperament but I still think had "this" dog been properly managed he never would have had the chance/opportunity to do what he did here!

If his temperament is unsound that should have been found out through "training"! I tell my dog to "stay" and I turn my back and walk away. If I have a dog that won't stay because he's got some serious issues with who's in charge!! Then it's "my" problem to deal with not JQP's kid. So for me it's still a management issue.

The leash was dropped, so what tell the dog to "stay" problem solved! He breaks a stay and goes charging after a kid!:eek: He'd been thinking about "me" chasing his butt down and not some kid!

And yep a full body tackle and a head lock if need be! I don't know the proper protocol for my "Bat crap crazy GSD is going after a kid"!

But "I" wouldn't inflict my bad choice in picking a dog on the public. That's still "my" take. :)

#160 ·
The dog is a threat to public safety. It should not matter what a rescue evaluator determines. It should have been evaluated by Animal Control and a determination should have been made by them as to the disposition of this animal. I'm rather surprised it was not seized and destroyed based on the owner's description of the child's injuries.

Frankly, I would not have been so understanding if someone who knew their dog had previous issues with children, didn't tell me about them and allowed it anywhere near my child. I would be pushing for not only that dog's death but also criminal charges against its owners. At the very least this is criminal negligence if not endangering the welfare of a child.

#161 ·
I fostered a dog that was deemed aggressive. He was the best dog I have ever fostered. Amazing, actually. So, rescue evaluations are useful and should be taken seriously before putting a dog to sleep. Every dog should be evaluated individually by people who know what they are looking at before a PTS recommendation is made.

#162 ·
Every dog should be evaluated individually by people who know what they are looking at before a PTS recommendation is made.
I did say it should be evaluated. By Animal Control. The department that is responsible to the city and, thus, the people of the city for their safety concerning animals.

I certainly hope that rescue's liability insurance is paid up.

#165 · (Edited)
The Norm now is for GSD to be a Golden Retreiver in a GSD suit.

GSD are working dogs, original herding dogs = running for hours with a job to do.

Did this dog get Any exercise? Ever get to Run? A Large Breed Dog, GSD.
So Many surrenders are = "Not enough time"

Then lets take this large, GSD, exercise or not, in the house, small room? Rambuncious kids? What where they doing?

A GSD should never be left unattended with children under the age of 10, get another breed.

Ultimately the GSD pays with its life.

Lots of other breeds out there, GSD are not for everyone, but they are made to pay the price for not conforming to what the pet owners want.

Also so many want the GSD to conform to children, children need to comform, ie respect, or learn from the adult & reason for my statement above, not leaving a GSD with children under the age of 10, cuz = who know what kids may do, they are kids, ..... but as said, GSD are not for everyone, but everyone want one, with that Golden Retriever interior.

Wonder what the breeding of this dog was, didn't see a pic, doesn't matter, my message is the same.

#172 ·
Maybe it is because I read through the synopsis of all the deaths due to dogs in 2013, and how many of them had a history like this dog. People are willing to take on such a dog, and then such a dog who has already demonstrated that it will do damage to a non-threat, gets the opportunity to prove it once again. The one lady fought to get her dog back. It then killed her.

And maybe it is because I have a couple of 7 year old nieces that I have been caring for at least once a week for 5 years. I know them inside and out. And so, I have a pretty good point of reference for what seven years old looks like, acts like, is responsible for.

A dog that does that to a seven year old is not right. And until these dogs are simply euthanized, I refuse to believe that rescues and shelters are hurting with some over-population. Sorry. This dog is totally dangerous and doesn't have a home. Put it down and find a home for a dog that WILL pass a temperament evaluation and DOES NOT have a history of MAULING small children. Put your resources into these dogs that for no other reason than there not being enough space are put down. I just do not understand the thinking here. I'm too thick i guess.

I was watching an episode of animal cops where they brought in a pair of Rottweilers. The one was aggressive and bit the shelter worker. He felt it was his fault. And brought in a trainer and they spent all kinds of resources on this dog. It bit again. More resources. At the end of the program they said it attacked again and they had to put it down. Well, just great. How many dogs could they have saved that this dog took time and space and training resources away from?

And even if you feel that the dog is rehabilitated -- like that Cesar-wannabe across the pond whose rehabilitated rottweiler 'service dog' attacked a little girl in a mall.

There is a huge difference between a bite and an attack. A bite I will generally give a dog the benefit of the doubt over. But repeated biting and not stopping is something that I can't understand wasting the time, space, and money on when everyone claims there are so many dogs out there snuffing it just because there is no room in the shelters. If that is no longer the case, than I still think it is a crappy waste of resources. Help people do low-cost spay/neuters, or help people afford veterinary care for their pets rather than signing them over for care. There is so much need of resources, and so few resources that putting in more than the cost of humane euthanasia into a homeless child-biter is unthinkable.

If the owners of the dog wanted to try training and management and a behaviorist, I would understand it. I would. No one wants to feel like they failed a dog. They want to try everything before giving up. I get that.

This dog doesn't have a home! It has a rescue willing to try and find it a home. How can you be 100% certain that you are matching this dog up with the responsibility and commitment that it will not cause even more damage to the breed itself.

How many other dogs could have been helped, except that someone's ego wants to believe they can fix them all. It is disgusting.

#174 ·
I keep reading this thread, and honestly I can't understand the thinking and/or attempt of saving this dog. The dog didn't give a warning bite. He bit once, twice, then went in for a full bite. He released ONLY after the owner intervened. How much further did this dog intend to take this attack? Instead of taking responsibility, the owner instead passes the problem on.

#175 ·
its because people cant differentiate between a temperament problem and a situational problem
or dont want do
thinking they can save them all
the pics on that facebook page before they pulled all pics
told the story
the dog is a nervebag and an accident waiting to happen

hector that dog will always be a bite risk
of course there is always some bleeding heart that wants to save them all
its ego or sheer idiocy but whatever i guess

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.