Can he be placed? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

less than ethical 'rescues' will take dogs with a bite history and use them as bait dogs for pitbull training...

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am curious as to why the parents of the bitten child aren't screaming bloody murder and having the dog quarantined through animal control. What is the story/excuse for this dog's behavior? Was he sleeping and the kid fell on him? Was the kid hitting the grandchildren and screaming?

Bites on three locations and only stopping because you were able to come in and stop him, is really, really serious. Knowing of any extenuating circumstances, may be helpful in deciding whether this dog is safe to be around you and your wife.

I mean, some dogs, and it isn't common, but they have something called Rage Syndrome. Not sure if such a dog would have been able to snap out of it when you pulled him off. But in that case, the dog needs to be liberated from its demons. If the kid tried to ride the dog like a pony, then you don't need to worry so much about you and your wife.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Depending on the state if the dog is provably current on rabies they can do in home quarantine.

Had a friend deal with that when her dog was bit by a rabid raccoon last summer but he was current on his vaccines. Same thing when I fostered a JRT that was a child biter too...in home quarantine, in our case 10 days, because he was current on vaccines.

If the dog is not current on rabies vaccine then, again depending on location, they may quarantine at a facility.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Check her wall, Sue, there's a message there with more information.

I really hope this is a trolling episode.

Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08

Old 03-14-2014, 05:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thanks. The kid was seven. Sorry, it is so sad for the owners, but the dog really needs to be humanely euthanized. That is too much damage on a child who can't possibly be seen as a threat of any sort.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 03-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A stable dog properly, socialized dog shouldn't see a 7 y/o as a threat.

A human who knows her dog has a bite history shouldn't let any child near the dog.

Otto is a stable well socialized adult dog but he's still 98lbs of east german booyah. I crate him when other people's kids are here because it's just too much risk, too much worry, what if he gets jiggy with their leg? What if he growls and the child wets itself...

Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08

Old 03-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with Jenn. I have a dog with a bite history. He is currently in a large kennel run in my back yard, surrounded by hot wire. He never even has contact with family members, only my husband or I. Period. If I didn't have the ability to contain him, I would have him euthanized. He is a broken dog.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 06:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think his problem is kids no matter how he is or isn't wired. There are plenty of homes that don't and won't ever have children in them. Some dogs just don't like them, just as some dogs don't like other dogs or cats. I wouldn't lie about what he has done. Were you present during the bite to witness what happened before hand? Has this dog ever gone after your grand kids?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

[QUOTE=llombardo;5201578]I think his problem is kids no matter how he is or isn't wired. There are plenty of homes that don't and won't ever have children in them. Some dogs just don't like them, just as some dogs don't like other dogs or cats. I wouldn't lie about what he has done. Were you present during the bite to witness what happened before hand? Has this dog ever gone after your grand kids?[/QUOte

This is what I see as wrong with the internet. Diagnosing such a serious issue as something so simple as he doesn't like kids. The biggest part of passing a dog like this on is that you can never be sure this dog won't be re-homed again without his history following him. It's to easy to say it's just a problem with kids. Ok, then what age kids, what if this escalates to older kids, then to adults. 3 bites also equate an attack to me, this dog isn't right.
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How many bites should a single dog have? Every time a GSD attacks a small children 500 people know about, and remember it every time they see a GSD. This is how the breed is given such a bad name.

It doesn't matter that some dogs just don't like kids. If you have a dog that ATTACKED one, then you need to do the right thing. An attack is not a warning snap that connected, a nip, a single bite. An attack is when a dog goes after its target, bites it more than once, and isn't stopping until someone is able to pull it free.

If this dog gets out of the yard when the new owners are not home, and chases a child on a bike, it will KILL the child on the bike, because no one will be there to stop it.

You cannot, with a clear conscience rehome this dog. Not to anyone, save maybe Cesar. Only because if he rehomes the dog and it KILLS someone, then he has way too much to lose to do that.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.