German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Aggression (the good, the bad & the ugly) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/)
-   -   Good around other dogs until.... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/419345-good-around-other-dogs-until.html)

Cherlyn 03-04-2014 11:24 AM

Good around other dogs until....

My GSD is 6 months old. He is so good around my kids and other dogs. He plays really well with them, until they find something he wants and then he attacks. And it's scary. I have an e collar on him and I rarely have to use it. He come when called, sits, leaves it. Ect. But once he is attacking another dog he does not respond. I don't know what to do to Chang this behaviour. I know he's young, but he is already 65lbs, and I don't want him hurting anyone, or anything. Any suggestions. This morning for example I had our dogs out and the other one found some dead thing, and he wanted it so he attacked. Luckily i got them apart and they both got put in a kennel. Anyway. Any suggestion? Thanks

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

blackshep 03-04-2014 12:35 PM

That's resource guarding
How to React When Your Dog Begins Resource Guarding Against Other Dogs - Whole Dog Journal Article

Jax08 03-04-2014 12:38 PM

Get a trainer! Get one now! And do not use the e-collar for aggression. You will make it worse if used improperly.

Cherlyn 03-04-2014 01:47 PM

Agreed! We don't try and use it much, but only use it for proper training. I learned quickly it did nothing. And now see how it can make it worse. Thank you for your article. I look foreword to reading it. And the closest trainer is 1 hr 40 mins away...but we will see. Thank you

Chip18 03-04-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherlyn (Post 5133377)
My GSD is 6 months old. He is so good around my kids and other dogs. He plays really well with them, until they find something he wants and then he attacks. And it's scary. I have an e collar on him and I rarely have to use it. He come when called, sits, leaves it. Ect. But once he is attacking another dog he does not respond. I don't know what to do to Chang this behaviour. I know he's young, but he is already 65lbs, and I don't want him hurting anyone, or anything. Any suggestions. This morning for example I had our dogs out and the other one found some dead thing, and he wanted it so he attacked. Luckily i got them apart and they both got put in a kennel. Anyway. Any suggestion? Thanks

He's a Domaninte male dog, they fight that's what they do! Quit putting him around other dogs! Some dogs are not dog park dogs.

Your trying to fix a problem you don't need to have. Teach him to ignore other dogs, enjoy the friends he has and you and have a good life. :)

Or persistit on your current course and learn the proper way to break up a dog fight before you get hurt.

My personal belief is that Dominant dogs don't have a problem with constantly being in dog fights. You could let us know if my theory is true?

Or you could just stop exposing him to other dogs. Oh and 6 months and an E collar???

martemchik 03-04-2014 02:01 PM

You need to be able to correct with something that gives you the power to restrain him as well. So first...management. Don't put anything out of high value that he might attack over. Second...start training. Put a toy out, he takes it, take it away from him. If you see he's going to attack. Correct him with something you can also stop him from attacking with...you'll never stop him with an ecollar, you need physical restraint. When he stops/calms down. Give him the toy as a reward. Do this over and over again until he realizes that there are other ways to get what he wants.

Is he food aggressive? If someone walks by his food bowl does he growl/attack? Can you take his food bowl away from him while he's eating? He just has resource guarding issues, things that can easily be worked on.

This is not dominance...its insecurity. It's not understanding that he's going to get the toy or food if he just does what YOU want rather than just goes for it. Dominant dogs don't always have to use force to get what they want.

We just got a second GSD and at around the same time were dog sitting a female great dane that my dog has known his whole life. We were easily able to feed all three in the same area. If my dog walked away from his bowl (tends to do so as he is used to being an only dog) and one of the females went towards it to finish up, he'd calmly walk over and just nudge them out of the way. By day 3, they just left his food alone and would just walk away if he was coming back near it. If he wanted to he could move them away from their bowls, which I corrected and he stopped doing. This was an 80 lbs GSD moving a 130 lbs great dane with out any violence or aggressive behavior.

middleofnowhere 03-04-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherlyn (Post 5134409)
Agreed! We don't try and use it much, but only use it for proper training. I learned quickly it did nothing. And now see how it can make it worse. Thank you for your article. I look foreword to reading it. And the closest trainer is 1 hr 40 mins away...but we will see. Thank you

I drive quite a ways about 2 x a month for training - an hour and a half isn't that bad.

Cherlyn 03-04-2014 02:05 PM

Thank you so much for the article. We have had to modify, his behaviour with food, and balls, and now I just need to take it a step further to be able to modify it in the great outdoors. I just needed to understand his behaviour. Thank you

Cherlyn 03-04-2014 02:09 PM

We just use the beeping on the e collar to get his attention....not any shocking. We live on a farm, and we just use the beep to remind him to come when call so he get a treat. Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Cherlyn 03-04-2014 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by middleofnowhere (Post 5134609)
I drive quite a ways about 2 x a month for training - an hour and a half isn't that bad.

Good to know that you can go 2 a month and have it still be worth it. For some reason I thought it would have to be a weekly thing. Thank you I'll look into it.