German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Aggression (the good, the bad & the ugly) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/)
-   -   The Quality of Resource Guarding Aggression (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/417794-quality-resource-guarding-aggression.html)

DutchKarin 02-28-2014 06:37 PM

The Quality of Resource Guarding Aggression

Hi all.

Kind of a strange question, but is the quality of resource guarding aggression different than other kinds of aggression (fear, dominance, social rank, etc)? Seems like when I see video of resource guarding the dog is very tight, very sharp about going in quickly for a bite or making a scene with out a lot of, I don't know, consideration or time to check things out. If there is a quality difference, does resource guarding lead to greater potential for significant injury? I think of the video Cesar Mellon's "worst bite" and it is a lab with severe food guarding.

Thanks for your input.

P.S. This is NOT a thread about Cesar Mellon. :headbang::headbang:

Baillif 02-28-2014 07:25 PM

I dont generally worry about that kind of thing. Its a sign of a disconnect in the relationship between dog and handler. For toy or bone guarding i teach interactive games with toys with rules and that takes care of that. For food i take the bowls away and handfeed during training and the change in relationship dynamic for that ends the perceived conflicts.

DutchKarin 03-01-2014 02:35 PM

Bumping this as I just wanted a few more perspectives.

Baillif, appreciate your response!

MaggieRoseLee 03-02-2014 11:36 AM

This article explains some differences in the drives

Sirius Dog

:)

Blanketback 03-02-2014 12:00 PM

Guarding behavior is interesting. The common one, guarding resources (food, bones), seems simple enough to understand. When it gets to territory then it's more complex. Why does that dog want to keep me off the couch? In my case, that dog was DH's AmBull and me even being in the house in the first place might have been the issue, lol. But she's a very social dog, so she loved the added attention I brought. Somewhere I crossed the line from 'welcome friend' to 'get lost loser' and the couch/bed was where it happened.

Chip18 03-02-2014 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blanketback (Post 5121737)
Guarding behavior is interesting. The common one, guarding resources (food, bones), seems simple enough to understand. When it gets to territory then it's more complex. Why does that dog want to keep me off the couch? In my case, that dog was DH's AmBull and me even being in the house in the first place might have been the issue, lol. But she's a very social dog, so she loved the added attention I brought. Somewhere I crossed the line from 'welcome friend' to 'get lost loser' and the couch/bed was where it happened.

I can't find the link where this came up? Might find some useful information there.

Note don't do what I did!! Turns out that most of us have not really had a real resource guarder. So I got nothing.

DutchKarin 03-02-2014 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee (Post 5121553)
This article explains some differences in the drives

Sirius Dog

:)

MaggieRoseLee... thank you for the link, that was interesting and incredibly dense. Crap, I have so much to learn! :blush:

Considering that article, my query was somewhat misdirected? The way I understand it then is that resource guarding behavior and its intensity is not the relevant query, rather it is to think of resource guarding as a dog perceiving a threat and then considering the responses to that threat, namely the different defense drives, frustration aggression, or social aggression. That would be a way to gauge intensity of the response to that threat.

Thank you, lots of thinking I have to do.