German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Aggression (the good, the bad & the ugly) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/)
-   -   What kind of guarding is this? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/417242-what-kind-guarding.html)

Msmaria 02-27-2014 02:53 PM

What kind of guarding is this?

Dex is now 14 months old (neutered) and is pretty good with other dogs and hasn't shown any signs of resource guarding me or my family.
At the dog beach last weekend he played well with all the other dogs until another dog peed on our beach chair. Dexter ran over to our chairs and growled at the other dog, a cute waggy tail black lab, that just didnt seem to get the notice he was unwanted there. I called Dex over to me, who came to me, but ran over to the lab again, who now was sitting down in front of my mom and growled . I decided to pick up our chairs and move.

Is this normal GSD behavior? Is this a form of guarding or aggression? I am hoping to nip any aggression in the bud. How should I handle this situation.

Blanketback 02-27-2014 03:45 PM

Your story reminds me of a big brouhaha that happened here a few years ago. Our neighbor's lab used to roam onto our property and urine mark our vehicles. DH was furious! And to make matters worse, my GSD would be the one caught doing the marking, because he'd be covering the lab's with his own. My dog never marked my car, ever. Not until this lab started doing it. I had to stick up for my dog, and tell DH that the lab started it, and my dog had a right to leave his mark on his (our) own property. I'm guessing Dexter was telling the dog to leave his (your) chair alone. Nice of him not to mark your chair :)

HarleyTheGSD 02-27-2014 03:48 PM

It sounds like territorial guarding to me.

Msmaria 02-27-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blanketback (Post 5104050)
Your story reminds me of a big brouhaha that happened here a few years ago. Our neighbor's lab used to roam onto our property and urine mark our vehicles. DH was furious! And to make matters worse, my GSD would be the one caught doing the marking, because he'd be covering the lab's with his own. My dog never marked my car, ever. Not until this lab started doing it. I had to stick up for my dog, and tell DH that the lab started it, and my dog had a right to leave his mark on his (our) own property. I'm guessing Dexter was telling the dog to leave his (your) chair alone. Nice of him not to mark your chair :)

Oh no, so your husband had to put up with two dogs marking your car LOL. I don't think Dexter has learned how to yet. He still pess while just standing there and has not marked at all on our walks up to now. He seems to be maturing very slowly. Teeth didnt fully come in til 7 months.

Blanketback 02-27-2014 03:59 PM

Yes, it was bad. This lab is 14 now, so he'll only wander into his immediate neighbor's yard nowadays. He used to tear open all the garbage bags too. Nobody was very happy when this boy was in his prime, lol.

My little guy is just past 2 and he still squats too, with the occasional leg lift. Our female is the one that does all the marking on our walks, with my pup going on top of wherever she goes, lol.

Msmaria 02-27-2014 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD (Post 5104066)
It sounds like territorial guarding to me.

Thank you. I hadn't thought of that. So moving the chairs are not going to help, because he sees them as his chairs to guard. I usually don't take the chairs but didnt want my mom sitting in the sand.

Msmaria 02-27-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blanketback (Post 5104178)
Yes, it was bad. This lab is 14 now, so he'll only wander into his immediate neighbor's yard nowadays. He used to tear open all the garbage bags too. Nobody was very happy when this boy was in his prime, lol.

My little guy is just past 2 and he still squats too, with the occasional leg lift. Our female is the one that does all the marking on our walks, with my pup going on top of wherever she goes, lol.

That is so funny. It sounds like you have quite a pack. We have one marker and that's the 6 yr old maltipoo who was intact when the shelter got him. He marks on top of both the female and gsd. Dex just looks at him like why are you peeing on top of my pee :wild:

Blanketback 02-27-2014 04:14 PM

Since you're in LA, you probably haven't heard about what seasonal fun the snow and ice bring: pee lingers, in a nice formation! You can dig at it! Wow! Party!! :D

Msmaria 02-27-2014 04:20 PM

Yellow snow! Nope, no snow here, we just got rain today. I thing Dex has seen rain about 8 times. He DIDNT want to go outside to pee. I had to go with him and I couldn't tell if he went or not since he just stands there.

Blanketback 02-27-2014 04:23 PM

It's lemon, yummy. You can eat the yellow snow - yes you can :D