First time barking at another dog... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default First time barking at another dog...

This may be silly and or a stupid question...

She is 15 months old. She is a therapy dog since 1 year old. She is still in training and we will continue through at least 3 years old, longer if we need to.

Today...2 new puppy's to class. But 6 total, along with the older dogs that are normally there.

She growled and barked at one of the younger pups. She has never done this before, she goes for other dog play dates. She has never been aggressive with anyone, or thing. She is a working line Czech/DDR shepherd. She has intense drives in every area. She did not bite, jump on, or chase the puppy. Just growled and barked. She is not spayed yet. We are waiting until she is more mature, fully grown and hoping to avoid some of the possible health risk latter in life. We don't want to do hormone replacement....
Anyway...she is due for her heat next month...if she has it every 6 months. Her first was at 11 months. It was very easy and she has no mood swings.

We have had snow which is not normal for our area. She has been trapped inside....more than she normally would have been.

She is eating normally, this week has been the first week on raw diet....from the orgjien puppy food....

I may just be hyper sensitive to the Growling and barking because of many label shepherds as "bully breed" this is our first time with shepherds. We have been Training from day one....they get ran hard for an hour a day during our soccer game...and they do training and walks other times of the day. She works puzzles and has a lot of indoor brain work. We like them tired for bedtime. Everything we have done is to avoid them barking and growling at other dogs and people....never seeing her do this and all of the sudden, after 15 months old...doing it twice in one day...we don't know what could have caused it.
The trainer said older, well behaved dogs will sometimes try and correct hyper, high energy, bouncy puppies. I trust the trainer and he did not act concerned but I am the type of person who will read many articles from both sides to form my opinion...I do the same with politics....:-/

I understand shepherds have MANY growing and attitude changes from newborn to 3 years old....

I called another friend with a shepherd, she said she would not be concerned...that her dog barks at some dogs and ignores others...she just tells her dog to leave it and they move on.

This site has been a life saver for the year before we got our dogs. It helped us finalize our decision on the breed and you guys seem to know what you are talking about!

Is this something to be concerned about? Should we keep her from doggie play dates for a while...? My husband is scared of big dogs, he is scared of shepherds, he trust ours but now thinks she is an aggressive dog. Looking for things to help him continue trusting her and keep. I personally think it was moody day but I can't say this for sure since she has never acted this way before...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mcdanfam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

pretty much , "The trainer said older, well behaved dogs will sometimes try and correct hyper, high energy, bouncy puppies. I trust the trainer and he did not act concerned but I am the type of person who will read many articles from both sides to form my opinion...I do the same with politics..."

I wouldn't do play dates --- a THERAPY dog cannot be reactive .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
pretty much , "The trainer said older, well behaved dogs will sometimes try and correct hyper, high energy, bouncy puppies. I trust the trainer and he did not act concerned but I am the type of person who will read many articles from both sides to form my opinion...I do the same with politics..."

I wouldn't do play dates --- a THERAPY dog cannot be reactive .

I think I forgot to mention she barked at the puppy in dog class, she has never barked at dog while working...but that was a concern. If she barked at the puppy in class, will she start barking at many other dogs?

Old 02-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Yes to me sounds like she was correcting the puppy, you don't know what the puppy was doing - may have been openly staring at her, may have been anxious and nervous and she was telling the pup to quit it. However, it is not her place to do this. If you are concerned, maybe keep her away from puppies, however if she is good with most, then it is obvious it was something this puppy was doing to make her correct. She may correct juveniles or even older dogs too if she is allowed. to.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Okay...he did have us correct her in a firm voice, he did not allow us, to allow her to correct the puppy. He also tested her obedience after the fact...she had to do a sit stay in the area of the puppy, and was recalled. She ignored the puppy after that....the remaining 30 mins of class she was still in the general area, and did not bark or growl....she focused like she normally does and ignored the puppy. Not sure what happened today....15 months and no problems with behavior...guess the easy dog could not last forever...:-/

Old 02-22-2014, 07:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry and Lola View Post
Yes to me sounds like she was correcting the puppy, you don't know what the puppy was doing - may have been openly staring at her, may have been anxious and nervous and she was telling the pup to quit it. However, it is not her place to do this. If you are concerned, maybe keep her away from puppies, however if she is good with most, then it is obvious it was something this puppy was doing to make her correct. She may correct juveniles or even older dogs too if she is allowed. to.

Thank you....:-)

How would you correct her durning this situation? Hoping we handled it correctly.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

I would give her a verbal reprimand and put more distance between them, also if I saw a puppy or dog that was displaying unstable behaviour (fear, nerves etc) then I would not allow her too close to the dog so that she is affected, that way if she is not too close she may not feel like it is her place to reprimand and that the owner has control.

Also, I am going through something similar with Harry and I am finding distance and more control from me is helping.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
I would give her a verbal reprimand and put more distance between them, also if I saw a puppy or dog that was displaying unstable behaviour (fear, nerves etc) then I would not allow her too close to the dog so that she is affected, that way if she is not too close she may not feel like it is her place to reprimand and that the owner has control.

Also, I am going through something similar with Harry and I am finding distance and more control from me is helping.

Okay...great to know. That is what he had us do...move farther away but still in the general area....he stayed between the puppy and Millie while we were testing the obedience after the bark and growl.
He took them from 5 feet apart to 12-13 feet apart.
Did stuff to keep her focus.
I do trust our trainer and his dogs are amazing...but it never hurts to get more info and knowledge.

Thank you so much for taking the time...

Old 02-22-2014, 08:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdanfam View Post
Okay...great to know. That is what he had us do...move farther away but still in the general area....he stayed between the puppy and Millie while we were testing the obedience after the bark and growl.
He took them from 5 feet apart to 12-13 feet apart.
Did stuff to keep her focus.
I do trust our trainer and his dogs are amazing...but it never hurts to get more info and knowledge.

Thank you so much for taking the time...

Great you have a trainer you trust and like, this makes a huge difference with GSDs (as our breed can be quite embarrassing sometimes and you get people with other calmer breeds looking at you as if you have two heads!)

Old 02-22-2014, 09:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Great you have a trainer you trust and like, this makes a huge difference with GSDs (as our breed can be quite embarrassing sometimes and you get people with other calmer breeds looking at you as if you have two heads!)

We have many in our area tell us we are nuts for getting a "bully breed" and we are not very smart with all the kids in and out of or house.
We wondered if she would ever act like what people were describing...took her 15 months but we were embarrassed today...luckily he likes everyone to have these distractions at his field so we know how to handle them in public. He is very firm about the 2 foot rule, now I understand why!
Thank you again for taking the time to voice your thoughts! They are greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.