Should i muzzle our zola ???????????? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should i muzzle our zola ????????????

hi everyone we are having a few issues with our zola mainly fear aggression..... she has started to get a bad name for herself where we live as when she is off lead she charges people but stop suddenly and barks at there feet, she would never bite and never has, people are getting the wrong impression of her. what is most frustrating is there dogs who do the same to us in there eyes is fine as they are not a gsd,,,,, i think this is wrong ......... poor zola is a big soft bear , do you think people wld think its better she was muzzled i myself dont like this, but im at my wits end im sick of people thinking she is some sort of monster please help as i need your thoughts on what you wld do thanks...... ursula zolas mam

Zola 2012-

Safzola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 08:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

solve the problem with her reputation and the one YOU may be getting in your neighbourhood "she has started to get a bad name for herself where we live as when she is off lead she charges people"
Keep her on lead . (which in the UK you are supposed to anyway with your selective anti-breed laws).

You can not guarantee that ," she would never bite". What if someone kicks out from being frightened or annoyed .

"hi everyone we are having a few issues with our zola mainly fear aggression..... " You need to control the dog and control how and what interactions she has with people so that her fear is not enhanced by negative reactions which confirm her need to be fearful .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

How old is she?

What does your dog trainer recommend?

Is she also behaving that way in dog classes or just when around your neighborhood?

Have you been working on attention/focus/engagement type training? --> Top Training Expectations for Puppies

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 08:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

In another thread about nose flicking and mouth slapping ----
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry and Lola
Isn't licking their mouths and up to their nose a sign of anxiety and nervousness?

you said "Our thought as well,so what is she nervous about ? Zola does that when we are getting ready to go for a walk AND mouth slaps..... "

Zola is in a lot of stress even getting ready to go for that walk . A muzzle is not going to help while you drag her out into a situation that creates stress upon stress . That is a lot of apprehension --- the dog may very well bite and that is what you need to prevent.

What is her fear .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 08:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I would never let me dog off lead unsupervised or where the situation cannot be controlled.

Do you have a fence? I'm guessing no. Your dog should be leashed 100% of the time.

What if it ran into the street and got hit by a car? And don't say that would never happen. Because I'm sure you never thought your GSD would never run after someone.

Fence your yard or leash your dog. Don't be that person.
nikon22shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

This sounds SUPER familiar to me.. because Titan has taken to doing the same exact thing.

Are you sure it's fear for one thing? And what does she do when she barks at their feet.. does she do it aggressively? Does she stop on her own? Does she come back to you? Also I agree with carmspack.. you cannot be positive that she won't bite.. If you get a chance find my thread (on my phone or I'd find it for you) in the aggression forum called "was this aggression?....." I had the same thought with Titan and became really lax with his off leash "greeting" of others because "he's a big teddy bear, he's just excited! He'd never bite anyone!" And all those excuses we make for our babies.... it bit me in the butt (no pun intended ) when he actually did go running up and bite someone.. didn't break skin and the man was so oddly cool with the whole situation thank God.. but it was an extreme eye opener.

Put her on a leash.. If you want her to meet someone. Take her to them, make her sit and then allow the greeting. Since the incident, we haven't had a lot of off leash time in Public except very secluded areas.. and have not let Titan introduce himself, so to speak. Titan has been fantastic. Take control of her and I'm sure you'll see a change. It was a hard realization for me, a good one, to realize I am the one that encouraged this unintentionally.

If it is indeed a fear issue, regardless, leash her, but someone else will definitely ha e good advice for fear aggression.

I do wish you luck!

EDIT: did just want to add that this was not a fear issue for Titan.. just an extreme excitement.. so if it is a fear thing.. which i wrote this before other had chimed in.. then definitely focus on managing that and what I did may not work. I just wanted to make that clear.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010

Last edited by wyoung2153; 02-18-2014 at 08:38 AM.
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon22shooter View Post
I would never let me dog off lead unsupervised or where the situation cannot be controlled.

Do you have a fence? I'm guessing no. Your dog should be leashed 100% of the time.

What if it ran into the street and got hit by a car? And don't say that would never happen. Because I'm sure you never thought your GSD would never run after someone.

Fence your yard or leash your dog. Don't be that person.
we have a secure garden 6ft fence all round zola is always on the lead until we get to our place of play the river park etc she is 23 month old and always comes bk when called

Zola 2012-

Old 02-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

we had a trainer who we have just stopped seeing as his attitude was a disgrace zola is still bad on the lead she still trys to launch at people thats with me anyway ..yet my husband has found a way of distracting her by using a stick in wich she carries, she never bothers anyone until its my turn to take her out and everything changes i carnt even talk to people as she will show her teeth they even look at her

Zola 2012-

Old 02-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safzola View Post
we have a secure garden 6ft fence all round zola is always on the lead until we get to our place of play the river park etc she is 23 month old and always comes bk when called
If she always comes back when called, then your either not watching her when she charges people or she doesn't always come back when called.

Either way, leash your dog before she bites someone and they have to put her down and file a lawsuit.

Its harsh, but its the truth. Accidents happen, what if the next person goes to run or kick your dog and her prey drive or defense kicks in and she bites? Are you ready to fight that battle (When she's already getting a name for herself).

Better safe than sorry
nikon22shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Did you address any of the questions I put up? Were you able to view the videos?

What does your breeder say? Are the littermates behaving the same? Did they do a repeat breeding?

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.