German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Aggression (the good, the bad & the ugly) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/)
-   -   Just Adopted Max (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/405730-just-adopted-max.html)

AlexandriaK 02-03-2014 12:14 AM

Just Adopted Max - HELP!!!

I have a one year old Pomeranian - actually shes my husbands :laugh:

I adopted Max a one year old GSD friday 2-1-2014. She (Pomeranian) will constantly bark at him which is driving me crazzyyyy and she will bare her teeth and try to bite him. Max will just walk away from her.. I've been walking them separately - the first walk together didn't go so well she would not stop barking and he was just confused. He has showed no aggression towards her whatsoever til now. But just an hour ago I was scared.. I just walked Max.. he was calm when we walked into the house but then the Pomeranian came right up to him as soon as we walked in and got right in front of him and snarled and started barking..... He grabbed her in his mouth picked her up and shook her... It all happened so fast I grabbed her and handed her to my husband and walked him away... she defecated... I already love him and my husband of course loves her... I have no idea what is causing her to act like this... My opinion is Max finally got tired of taking her dominance and tried to show his back... but then I feel bad for her ... Keep on mind in his previous home he was with chihuahuas if that helps .. I need some advice I'm desperate for this to work

Thank you..

RebelGSD 02-03-2014 12:50 AM

I think even the best dog gets fed up being terrorized by the little ones. I suggest controlling the pom. That is not acceptable behavior, little dogs need obedience too and should listen to the owner. The Pom has to be taught to stop the drama. Have you tried the two week shutdown and introducing them outside on neutral ground (away from the home)?

AlexandriaK 02-03-2014 12:52 AM

The first meeting was down the street I had my husband walk the pom and I shortly met him there.. the same reaction barking and snarling... how do I teach her this is unacceptable?

middleofnowhere 02-03-2014 01:29 AM

Max might have taken care of that for you. Hope she's alright.

Chip18 02-03-2014 01:52 AM

Yep is the Pom trained at all?

AlexandriaK 02-03-2014 01:57 AM

Maybe... Since then she hasn't barked or even growled at him. She cowers and shakes. I think he has shown her he isn't taking it anymore. I don't blame him but I wish it could've happened a different way.

I just walked her. I carried her until I put her in my room. I don't know if he was curious of her or what but he was trying to get to her in my hands. I think it's best to keep them separated for now. But how should I re-introduce them?

AlexandriaK 02-03-2014 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chip18 (Post 4955306)
Yep is the Pom trained at all?

No she is not. I've had her for about 2- months

David Winners 02-03-2014 02:14 AM

Well, probably not the way it should have went down, but it's over and time to move on. Don't feel guilty or coddle the Pom about it. That will only make things worse.

The first thing I would do is make sure that everyone has a place to go to get away. If it is a crate or room or corner of the living room behind a chair, it doesn't matter. They have to have space if they need it. Enforce this so they both understand that you will step in if the offender is intruding.

I would crate one or both of them when unsupervised for safety.

From your description, I bet the Pom is willing to leave the GSD alone now. There isn't much you probably need to do in that department. Because your GSD was willing to take so much in the first place before reacting, you should use this experience to head off any negative interactions from now on. Protect the little dog and don't allow it to push the GSD over the edge again. You now know what is going to happen if you stand back and observe.

I would put some drag lines on the dogs when they are interacting so you can manage the situation from afar by limiting interaction through physical restraint. They may get along great after this, and they may have to be crated and rotated forever. It's up to you to observe interactions and intervene before anybody gets out of hand.

I would allow them to interact under supervision to see how the relationship has changed and go from there. Post back with an update to let us know how it's working out. If the little dog shows interest in approaching the GSD, I would allow it under close, calm supervision, and I would be ready to reel the Pom out if things look negative.

Chip18 02-03-2014 02:28 AM

Yeah pretty much though so. Poms are little dogs with bad attitudes that "think" they are big dogs, Now yours knows she not! They take a lot of hard work for someone that is actually willing to train them.

You should have had one trained dog before you got a second one. Hopefully your GSD is better behaved but he's still young and if you don't handle him properly, you'll have issues.

At this point your best course of action is to keep them separated and look for a qualified, certified behaviourist. Petco is not gonna get it.

The GSD showed he doesn't have issues with little dogs he has problems with bad dogs, your job was to control the Pom you didn't do it so he felt he had to! That's not his job it's yours.

I suggest a trainer because your Pom is not in a position to be able to tolerate a lot of "mistakes" while your getting your act together,

I screwed up myself with my guys I wound up with problems in my pack but my boys were both big dogs and the only one that got hurt was me trying to break them up, while I got my act together!

You don't have that luxury (two equal dogs) so your best course is to look for help and don't leave them alone together unsupervised.

Chip18 02-03-2014 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Winners (Post 4955354)
Well, probably not the way it should have went down, but it's over and time to move on. Don't feel guilty or coddle the Pom about it. That will only make things worse.

The first thing I would do is make sure that everyone has a place to go to get away. If it is a crate or room or corner of the living room behind a chair, it doesn't matter. They have to have space if they need it. Enforce this so they both understand that you will step in if the offender is intruding.

I would crate one or both of them when unsupervised for safety.

From your description, I bet the Pom is willing to leave the GSD alone now. There isn't much you probably need to do in that department. Because your GSD was willing to take so much in the first place before reacting, you should use this experience to head off any negative interactions from now on. Protect the little dog and don't allow it to push the GSD over the edge again. You now know what is going to happen if you stand back and observe.

I would put some drag lines on the dogs when they are interacting so you can manage the situation from afar by limiting interaction through physical restraint. They may get along great after this, and they may have to be crated and rotated forever. It's up to you to observe interactions and intervene before anybody gets out of hand.

I would allow them to interact under supervision to see how the relationship has changed and go from there. Post back with an update to let us know how it's working out. If the little dog shows interest in approaching the GSD, I would allow it under close, calm supervision, and I would be ready to reel the Pom out if things look negative.

Sound advice...I just get a giggle out of a drag leash on a Pom! But in all seriousness, yes they need to be treated like the big dogs they think they are! I had a client that did a lot of work with trainers on a Pom, she had to rehome him because her husband was just an idiot. But he turned in a nice, controlled doggie!

I had given serious thought to taking him but I was dealing with Rocky's "issues" and didn't think it would be safe for the little guy at the time.