My dog got attacked. Her response surprised me. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2014, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default My dog got attacked. Her response surprised me.

I knew it would happen sooner or later. We have so many off-leash dogs in our neighborhood and people who think they should just let their dogs run wild and "sort it out themselves." I was walking Gypsy on the sidewalk and we got attacked by a teenager's brindle mix who was getting out of a vehicle off-lead. It was just loud and frightening, no injuries whatsoever so that's good. My dog (female, spayed, age 4.5) has a bite history with other dogs so I was fully expecting there to be a bloody battle. She usually enters a situation with ears and tail up, has always shown very offensive posturing rather than typical fear aggression. A couple of months after I adopted her, we started working diligently to curb her reactivity. It's been about eight months since then. She still shows the same body language if another dog gets in her face but has stopped trying to bark, lunge, or bite. When this dog attacked, she acted differently than I have ever seen her: ears flat, tail tucked, just trying to get away and crying. I hope this doesn't affect her progress or change her personality. I am not sure if she has ever been aggressively confronted before in this way. Most of the time the dogs that bother us are not serious, just barking at a safe distance or being annoying. I have got her to the point that even little chihuahuas have come up to us on the street and she will not attack them.

It makes me so sad that most of her experiences with other dogs have been negative since coming to live with us. She has a very sweet temperament and I feel like what she really needs is structured exposure and socialization. I have been trying to do this through classes and it helps, but one good experience once a week doesn't outweigh what happens during the week. When other dogs show submission or fear she becomes a bully, so I never let her interact. I just feed her treats for ignoring the other dogs and paying attention to me. This post doesn't really have a question associated with it, just sharing a story. I thought my dog would be the type to escalate a fight, but it turns out she is not like that at all. I wonder what was different, if it was just that the other dog was more confident or because he came at us so suddenly.
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 02:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

It is scary and it happens so quickly. Noise is good with dog fights, silence is not, when dogs are silent and fighting there is usually always contact made, I always remember that saying 'beware of a silent dog'.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 02:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

You should read this thread if you haven’t already.
What to do if another dog attacks your while on leash

Your job is to protect your dog. A walking stick, mace or pepper spray, stand in front of your dog and scream at the other dog. Jumpiing from a car is a new one to me ( my dogs don't bolt of cars, homes, garages etc) but yeah it happens.

If you know dogs are running lose, then you need a plan of action, either to defend your dog or load her in the car and go some place safe to walk, No plan at all isn’t much of a plan; if you "know" loose dogs are around. Granted "this" dog wasn’t around as it were but had you had a plan it would have been better for your dog.

Last edited by Chip18; 01-25-2014 at 02:49 AM.
Chip18 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 10:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post

If you know dogs are running lose, then you need a plan of action, either to defend your dog or load her in the car and go some place safe to walk, No plan at all isnít much of a plan; if you "know" loose dogs are around. Granted "this" dog wasnít around as it were but had you had a plan it would have been better for your dog.
I'm not sure what I could have done in this situation since it happened so fast. Based on the angle I would have been macing my own dog. In the past getting in front of her and screaming has worked. I might get pepper spray for the future though. I am just a little concerned about the legality of macing a dog that hasn't technically done anything. I live in a rough neighborhood and the neighbors with small loose dogs hate my dog because I yell at theirs all the time. If I could be sure to get away with it, I would LOVE to mace the next dog that tries to mess with us. I am so angry.

I take her to walk other places as much as I can but this is not feasible to do before work.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

This is my fear.
We have a lot of off-leash dogs around here. When I walk Harley, the dogs usually walk right up to us, but Harley is very submissive and never payed much attention to the dogs. It's Varick I'm worried about. Around the middle of last year, a pit bull walked right up to us (did NOT look friendly), and my boyfriend took a huge risk and held the dog back by the collar. Luckily, Varick isn't very reactive, he just gave a few deep growls. No lunging or barking. I'm going to start bringing pepper spray on walks from now on.
Sorry that this happened, good luck!

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show
HarleyTheGSD is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Get a cattle paddle at the feed store. It's plastic, about 5 ft long, shaped like an oar and has a rattle inside. You can safely put a block between another dog and yours and it won't hurt either of them. You can hold it over your head and rattle it and that will scare most dogs away. We use them when we first start herding training to keep the dogs off the sheep. Very effective way to protect your dog- which as CHIP18 says, is your job. Your dog will definitely notice

Last edited by Stosh; 01-25-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimeju View Post
I'm not sure what I could have done in this situation since it happened so fast.
Yes I noticed that in your post and I have never seen or had that happen myself but it's something I'll be more aware of in the future thanks!

Quote:
Based on the angle I would have been macing my own dog.
You do the best you can sometimes that happens, in the other thread a member had to spray his own dog also, still better than a dog attack I think.

Quote:
In the past getting in front of her and screaming has worked.
OK then your dog knows you are there for them!

Quote:
I might get pepper spray for the future though. I am just a little concerned about the legality of macing a dog that hasn't technically done anything.
That's what being prepared is about! Your not going around macing innocent dogs! Dogs don't "need" to meet and greet! It's not your job to determine if a dog is friendly or not. Loose dogs comes running up to mine and he's gonna have a problem with me!

We’re not talking about going to a dog park and randomly spraying dogs in the face!

Quote:
I live in a rough neighborhood and the neighbors with small loose dogs hate my dog because I yell at theirs all the time.
Your doing your job and they'll at least be more likely to keep there little uh ...dog under control when they see you coming! So that's job done!

Quote:
If I could be sure to get away with it, I would LOVE to mace the next dog that tries to mess with us. I am so angry.
There is that I don't think it's an issue if your dog is on leash but I'm not a lawyer. But for me macing kicking hitting with a stick or flat kicking another dogs butt is preferable to seeing my dogs hurt or me getting stitches breaking up a fight because I let a dog get to close and opps he wasn’t friendly.

Quote:
I take her to walk other places as much as I can but this is not feasible to do before work.
Well it's about protecting your dog. Getting attacked is a bad experience, getting attacked in the morning and having a good time in the afternoon isn’t gonna balance out in the long run. But that's your call, just be prepared and there is the big stick or cattle prod approach also.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Chip18; 01-25-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD View Post
This is my fear.
We have a lot of off-leash dogs around here. When I walk Harley, the dogs usually walk right up to us, but Harley is very submissive and never payed much attention to the dogs. It's Varick I'm worried about. Around the middle of last year, a pit bull walked right up to us (did NOT look friendly), and my boyfriend took a huge risk and held the dog back by the collar. Luckily, Varick isn't very reactive, he just gave a few deep growls. No lunging or barking. I'm going to start bringing pepper spray on walks from now on.
Sorry that this happened, good luck!
That is scary and risky. Sounds like you guys handled it well. Usually the pitts I've faced where coming hard this guy doesn't sound out of control so it "might" have been a real pet that got loose?
Old 01-26-2014, 12:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
That is scary and risky. Sounds like you guys handled it well. Usually the pitts I've faced where coming hard this guy doesn't sound out of control so it "might" have been a real pet that got loose?
No, this pit wasn't running at us. But it was "creeping" up on us. He had his eyes glued to Varick. The dog being so calm and alert is what scared me.
The messed up part is that we saw the owner on the porch, and when they saw us, they went inside. My dad suggested calling the authorities, but we decided that we would wait and see if it happened a second time, this time, without Varick.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show
HarleyTheGSD is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 01:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I'd call the police and animal control. Letting a dog attack is a police matter. If your dog took a submissive posture BEFORE the attack this dog is an even bigger liability and will attack again IMO.

Metro 10/2005-5/2013
Sabo 3/2013-now
Kia 1/2014- now
Sabo's Blog (I'm nuts)
erfunhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.