German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Aggression (the good, the bad & the ugly) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/)
-   -   What to do if another dog attacks your while on leash (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/399201-what-do-if-another-dog-attacks-your-while-leash.html)

ayoitzrimz 01-20-2014 07:23 PM

What to do if another dog attacks your while on leash

Hi everyone,

I just moved into a large building with a lot of dogs. Most of them are friendly and most interactions are perfectly fine. However, there are a few dogs that are a little more aggressive towards mine (my uneducated guess: male aggression especially with him being an un-neutered male and the 3 dogs aggressive towards him are males as well - 3 out of 100+ dogs).

I am asking for advice on how to handle a situation where I come out to the common yard and another dog attacks mine while we are on leash.

My dog is of course perfectly capable of defending himself but I do not need to put him or myself in that situation so I generally avoid the dog runs / parks etc and stick to ourselves and our training / playing is generally just me and him.

Now, in this building we have an enclosed dog run which I avoid like the plague and a front yard which is not a designated off leash area but people will take their dogs out off leash there and management seems to be ok with it.

However I do come out from the front yard and have seen the dogs that shown aggression towards mine off leash in that area and I just want to be prepared (luckily every time I was by myself on my way to work).

So, what would you do if you come out with your dog (your dog is on-leash as you are preparing to walk him) and another rather large dog (great dane, husky, and field lab) attacks yours. Would you drop the leash to give your dog a better chance while you break it up? Would you hold onto the leash to be able to control your dog? Would you put yourself between the two dogs?

My plan: keep the leash in my hand, move my dog behind me if I can, and kick the **** out of the other one if he comes near mine. That's it. But, I am worried about putting my own dog at a disadvantage when the other dog attacks since he can't run/fight/move with the leash restraining him.

I just want to be prepared is all. And I know this sounds like a high school / childish question to ask but I want to be ready and do the best I can in keeping everyone out of harm's way if the situation occurs.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

JakodaCD OA 01-20-2014 07:28 PM

I would do your approach, and I'd get some mace or pepper spray and carry it with me..You probably won't make friends if someone's dog does this, because everyone things their dogs 'won't',,but I would be protecting my dog ..

Nigel 01-20-2014 07:29 PM

How about carrying a walking stick or something you can use to help keep the other dog at bay until the owner can retrieve it. Might be difficult to one hand the stick though.

Baillif 01-20-2014 07:30 PM

Really depends. You don't necessarily want to drop your leash because if your dog bolts and the other pursues you can't help your dog in the fight as easily. You want to give your dog as much of the leash as you can. You also want to go on offense before your dog has the chance to. When I was faced with the situation I basically did exactly what your plan was. My dog managed to throw his collar but stuck around because he saw me in the fight and decided to help.

Chip18 01-20-2014 07:41 PM

Well you have it all thought out and yes your the first line of defense is you. But trying to kick a dog puts you at risk. So a walking stick is an option,it's purpose is obvious and you might not have to strike the dog, just block him.

These usually aren't attack dogs they are just untrained A hole's out on a run, all they see is your dog so anything that disrupts there train of thought stops them.

There is also this I have one, never used it my dogs notice it but it doesn't seem to bother them! But my cats! Stops them from being A holes cold! :) So it's a win for me!

And then there is mace or bear spray.

And of course being aware but as you say...they can come out of nowhere!

halo2013 01-20-2014 07:59 PM

The first thing I do when I see a dog lunging and going all cujo like is make sure halo is right up against me. I'll keep walking and keep her focused on only walking which she naturally does very well but she has her occasional puppy slip up

If the dog happens to be on the same route were on like theyre.behind us. I usually cross then road. Of find a.different way to get where were going. Most of our walks are cross country but we have to travel the huge complex we live in to get to it.

LVT. N.Latham

Harry and Lola 01-20-2014 08:02 PM

Are the 3 that are challenging your dog un-neutered as well? Just interested to know because in my experience neutered dogs love un-neutered dogs and dogs that are entire will fight.

These owners are probably going to keep doing what they like (have their dogs off leash in an on leash area) so it may not be worth talking to them, you would have to judge the situation first.

I have had dogs rush at me with both mine on lead, my female will always submit/retreat, my male will not. He would fight to the end and like you I do not want to put him in this position.

What I do, is always carry a pocket of treats and when a dog rushes us I throw as many as can fit in my hand at it, I have found the treats broke their focus and they stopped in their tracks to eat the treats, I quickly walk off.

I have also put myself in between the dog and mine, and growled at the dog - it stopped and just stood there.

These methods are good for a dog not intend on doing damage, however if nothing you do will stop a dog and this dog is determine to get to yours, it is essential you drop your dogs lead, if you hold the lead and pull your dog this puts him in a disadvantage and he may panic.

Also, this is easier said than to do, but it is important you stay calm and don't panic.

halo2013 01-20-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halo2013 (Post 4871969)
The first thing I do when I see a dog lunging and going all cujo like is make sure halo is right up against me. I'll keep walking and keep her focused on only walking which she naturally does very well but she has her occasional puppy slip up

If the dog happens to be on the same route were on like theyre.behind us. I usually cross then road. Of find a.different way to get where were going. Most of our walks are cross country but we have to travel the huge complex we live in to get to it.

LVT. N.Latham

Obviously there's. always going to be untrained owners and what not. But I've learned a lot of dogs aren't the problem sometimes
Sometimes its the owner. When halo was first learning to walk on a.leash she was like a race horse always.wanting to drag me. Instead of yanking her back. I stopped walking. I'd call her back teach her heel and had her walk calmly beside me. It took a few months. But she got it. Now when I tell her calm she just casually walks.
But a lot of people I see yank on the leash. Which sometimes doesn't help the situation it makes the dog more...likely to pull I guess you can say. They are only teaching the dog frustration not calm and balanced.
Its not always the owners. But its not always dog either.

LVT. N.Latham

Bman0221 01-20-2014 08:12 PM

Walking stick and pepper spray are great ideas. I carry pepper spray for this very reason. I have used it once and it kept the offending dog at bay long enough for me to get mine out of the area. Have to hit it directly in the face and snout though or it won't have much effect.

If the approaching dog is intent on attacking and you can not keep them seperated, I would give my dog as much leash as I could without letting go and let him defend himself. If you try to break it up, plan on getting bit, maybe by your own dog. He will go into defense mode and will most likely not realize it's you.

The biggest thing you need to do is stay calm and don't panic. I know easier said then done.

Then when it's all said and done, use the walking stick on the other dogs owner for being a retard.

halo2013 01-20-2014 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry and Lola (Post 4871977)
Are the 3 that are challenging your dog un-neutered as well? Just interested to know because in my experience neutered dogs love un-neutered dogs and dogs that are entire will fight.

These owners are probably going to keep doing what they like (have their dogs off leash in an on leash area) so it may not be worth talking to them, you would have to judge the situation first.

I have had dogs rush at me with both mine on lead, my female will always submit/retreat, my male will not. He would fight to the end and like you I do not want to put him in this position.

What I do, is always carry a pocket of treats and when a dog rushes us I throw as many as can fit in my hand at it, I have found the treats broke their focus and they stopped in their tracks to eat the treats, I quickly walk off.

I have also put myself in between the dog and mine, and growled at the dog - it stopped and just stood there.

These methods are good for a dog not intend on doing damage, however if nothing you do will stop a dog and this dog is determine to get to yours, it is essential you drop your dogs lead, if you hold the lead and pull your dog this puts him in a disadvantage and he may panic.

Also, this is easier said than to do, but it is important you stay calm and don't panic.

Agree'd fear only makes things worse.
There's a dog that lives in a house near the field we walk in. It looks like a boxer mix but could be just a fat boxer as soon as he sees halo hrs barking and growling and heading toward to field. Halo just stands there with them big ears up in the air. I always call her and keep calling her so she focuses on my energy and not the dog coming to the field. Whenever he sees halo is not a threat nor is she phased. He just turns around and goes home.
I've found in the complex I live in keeping halo focused on me and not the other dog always pretty much end it.
Sometimes that's not the case for other people. I know if I'm walking and I feel a dog is capable of hurting my son. As rude and Inhumane as it seems. I'd shoot it. And if it were dog doing the same and that's how someone reacted I wouldn't at all blame them. My son isn't always with me when me and halo are out. Its rare that he is. And I know there's a dog in our complex that where's them wire cage looking muzzles because it has went after a kid. That dog is 2x the size of halo and if its determined to get to my kid. I'd end it right there. Because the owner should have been responsible enough to solve the problem or keep her dog contained with her.

LVT. N.Latham