What to do if another dog attacks your while on leash - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2014, 08:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman0221 View Post
Then when it's all said and done, use the walking stick on the other dogs owner for being a retard.
And that's why I don't got to dog parks! Not talking dog parks here but yep!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

I try to save the other dog! I'm serious" years ago I was walking my g.Shep Cherokee" and a doberman came running out of these peoples yard and attacks my dog! In like 1 second" Cherokee knocked him down and grabbed him by the rear end had him off the ground" shaking him like a rag! The only thing touching the ground was his head and shoulders! I made him out and the dog limped back in his yard. The stupid owner standing in his doorway" screaming your going to pay for my dog! What a dummy! We got attacked from behind walking down the street. Bill
bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Hi everyone,

I just moved into a large building with a lot of dogs. Most of them are friendly and most interactions are perfectly fine. However, there are a few dogs that are a little more aggressive towards mine (my uneducated guess: male aggression especially with him being an un-neutered male and the 3 dogs aggressive towards him are males as well - 3 out of 100+ dogs).

I am asking for advice on how to handle a situation where I come out to the common yard and another dog attacks mine while we are on leash.

My dog is of course perfectly capable of defending himself but I do not need to put him or myself in that situation so I generally avoid the dog runs / parks etc and stick to ourselves and our training / playing is generally just me and him.

Now, in this building we have an enclosed dog run which I avoid like the plague and a front yard which is not a designated off leash area but people will take their dogs out off leash there and management seems to be ok with it.

However I do come out from the front yard and have seen the dogs that shown aggression towards mine off leash in that area and I just want to be prepared (luckily every time I was by myself on my way to work).

So, what would you do if you come out with your dog (your dog is on-leash as you are preparing to walk him) and another rather large dog (great dane, husky, and field lab) attacks yours. Would you drop the leash to give your dog a better chance while you break it up? Would you hold onto the leash to be able to control your dog? Would you put yourself between the two dogs?

My plan: keep the leash in my hand, move my dog behind me if I can, and kick the **** out of the other one if he comes near mine. That's it. But, I am worried about putting my own dog at a disadvantage when the other dog attacks since he can't run/fight/move with the leash restraining him.

I just want to be prepared is all. And I know this sounds like a high school / childish question to ask but I want to be ready and do the best I can in keeping everyone out of harm's way if the situation occurs.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
It sounds like you know what dogs are aggressive to yours already. Your half way there already. I live in an area where there are some aggressive dogs and sometimes they get loose. I find that being very vigil of my surroundings and what's going on around me is a big part of all around safety for myself and my pooch. I know where the aggressive dogs reside in what areas of my neighborhood. I adjust my path accordingly and stay vigil.

For you it sounds like you have a common area you take your dogs. I'd say and ounce of prevention goes a long way. In other words, I would avoid the common area if those aggressive dogs are around. Come back later or go earlier. I don't think any ones truly ready when that moment comes. It can be nerve racking and scary at the same time.

My most recent incident......

I have a guy in the neighborhood who is also a GSD lover. Much like myself. He has a great looking GSD and while out before have met socially. Cruz my GSD was still a youngster, but his dog was over a year old last summer. Well, fast forward to two weeks ago. Cruz is around 98 lbs. now. He tall and long. This guys dog hasn't seen Cruz in awhile. A couple weeks ago we were walking during the middle of the day down this guys side of the street. I know where this other GSD lives and will often cross the street as he seems territorial a little bit, just didn't know how much. But I try to avoid at all costs. But he shouldn't be out in the middle of the day right? Well as soon as we get to their driveway, the garage door of his house goes up and an equally large GSD comes running out at us. What do you do? What did I do? I got Cruz behind me and stood between him and Cruz. Of course Cruz wanted in front of me. I was fighting to keep Cruz behind and him in front because I know if they both hooked up, it wouldn't have ended pretty. We basically stood our ground and it was enough to keep the other GSD at bay until his owner got him under control. Had he come on anyways, my next move would have been a foot in his side in the ribs hard. But the owner who I know was on it and got control of his dog.

Thing is, if I had followed my usual course of passing their house across the street, this would never have happened. We have passed their house before, and his dog was off leash. He would just stand in the garage door and stair. That's it. I don't blame his dog. He was doing his job protecting his yard.

Situational awareness. It can go a long ways for you. Prevention should always be first and foremost. That's just how I see it. I have yet to have to break up a dog fight. I've seen some and they can be brutal and hard to break up. Usually the people breaking it up wind up getting bit. So that why I try avoidance first. If those dogs are truly aggressive, I would avoid them if at all possible.
jafo220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

the first thing i would do is try to avoid the situation because
i know threat is there. just in case things get out of hand my
pepper spray or tear gas would be hands on.

avoidance is the best approach.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 11:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

In addition to what others have said, our old trainer told us to just walk away. Hopefully you will not be cornered, but that has helped us. I realized in the past, on occasion I would freeze, but now I know to just keep moving,quickly, instructing my dog to heel.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 12:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
In addition to what others have said, our old trainer told us to just walk away. Hopefully you will not be cornered, but that has helped us. I realized in the past, on occasion I would freeze, but now I know to just keep moving,quickly, instructing my dog to heel.
Hmmm walk away= running to the dog mind in my interpation. But that's just my take. But..I'm willing to engage a dog if necessary and not everybody is willing to do that! So whatever works for you is what is best! ..Bear Spray could be a plan B!

Last edited by Chip18; 01-21-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yes Situational Awareness in a residential neighborhood look for open garage doors or people talking on the lawns, scan between cars, RV etc and look ahead and behind I cross the street if there are people out.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:39 AM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to robeangyalchen

I walk 4 km everyday to a park, and return 4 km same way. Through out the way i find almost 20-25 stray dogs guarding their sidewalk, pile of garbage, or a stairway of an overhead bridge.
To be honest, everyday i find 2 or more stray dog trying to pick a fight with my dog, mu GSD is only 7 months old and he sees every dog as a playmate, it is me who need to protect him...although lately he seems to guard me from the dog.
back to topic, to protect me and my GSD from those situations, I carry a 4 feet long stick and avoid any dog i see. But if any dog lunges towards me, i keep my dog by my side and wave my stick and slowly walk away.

The best way i have found is to distract the other dog by waving a stick, keeping my dog by my side and slowly walking away. We don't have pepper spray and bear spray but if it was available it would be a great tool too.

Tyson GSD 09 JUNE 2013
Rusty BOXER 12 Jan 2009 to 25 Oct 2012
robeangyalchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 04:49 AM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to robeangyalchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Anybody used this?? How does this work?? I couldn't buy it, I live in Nepal, just curious

Tyson GSD 09 JUNE 2013
Rusty BOXER 12 Jan 2009 to 25 Oct 2012
robeangyalchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

just curious as to how your dog reacts when these aggressive dogs are around? first thing is i would use tecniques to keep your dog under control and not respond to the other dogs. if your dog reacts it just escalates the situation. my first thought was for you to talk with the dog owners, but as said above, they probably are the type that don't get it and will keep doing it. if the dogs start coming close i would put your dog behind you and you can work on the command "get behind" and you handle the situation. pepper spray, deterant spray, stick, whatever. after a few blows of that i would be surprised if these dogs were stupid enough to keep doing it. i wouldn't bother with food, you want to keep these dogs away if they are aggressive.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.