Bad dog fight... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Post Bad dog fight...

Varick (17 months old) and our family dog, Cookie (12 years old) got into three bad fights yesterday. Varick is a good dog, though he is very much a puppy. Cookie is a nuisance; if either Harley or Varick get too close to the laundry room (where we keep the dog food), she bites them directly in the face with no warning. Harley doesn't take her crap. He fights back and will pin her to the floor, biting at her neck, though he never truly hurts her and only does this for a short moment.
Yesterday, she bit Varick for this reason. It was the first time. He immediately started attacking her. He seemed ruthless. It was terrifying. Cookie was literally screaming. She was completely defenceless. And he wouldn't stop! I had to pull him off of her with all my strength. I honestly thought he was going to kill her. And I think he would have. This is #1.
The second and third time he attacked her (just as bad as the first time) was unprovoked. They had a "stand-off" and he just pinned her to the floor, tearing at her neck. I'm surprised there was no blood. I'm keeping them in separate rooms. Varick is fine with Harley. Varick is such a good dog. He has never done anything like this before. It may sound bad, but I don't think I can blame him. Cookie messed with the wrong dog.
I'm worried. What are your thoughts?

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line

Last edited by HarleyTheGSD; 01-17-2014 at 01:09 PM.
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Also, I try to avoid situations like this by keeping Varick away from the laundry room when someone opens the door (this is when she stands guard). I can't be there 24/7.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
Old 01-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The resource guarding of the food in the laundry room needs to stop right away. It is your house and your food, not Cookie's.

The fights may continue now that they have started.

I would keep an eye on them, crate them, or Cookie, when you're not home, but definitely either move the food away from there or stop her behavior immediately. She shouldn't be doing this standing guard nonsense.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Keep them separated. Too many times a big dog has killed another smaller dog over something that could have easily been prevented. Don't allow them near each other. Get a crate so when you aren't on top of him, he is confined. If he instigated a second, uprovokaed attack, then he isn't as innocent as you are making him out to be. Its an easy fix. Keep them away from each other.
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!

http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Do all of these dogs live together full time? If they do, you're just going to have to manage them by always keeping them separate. It's going to happen again given the chance.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hondo is a big, 4 year old, intact male GSD. Maggie is an older (she's a rescue) Miniture Dachshund. She rules the roost and Hondo allows her. But they are never left alone. Any time she tries to steal his food/treat/toy, I stop it. One day, when Hondo has had a bad day or feeling off, he'll correct her. Not his job. Mine. So when I'm not home, Maggie is in a kennel.

When there isn't a resource for her to steal, they are best friends. She'll even curl up to him when she's cold and he'll move to give her more room. But I take no chances, he can take her entire head into his mouth.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Please. Take NO chances. Now you must completely control the environment. Gate, crate, and rotate. Everything the other posters suggested too, but the "can't be there all the time" thought has to go. It is now YOUR responsibility to PROTECT all members of your pack. If you don't you will have a dead or badly injured dog. Please take this very seriously and do not allow another "accident" to happen. Please.
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

After reading your post again I'm really disappointed that you allowed this to happen a second and third time. You are not taking this seriously enough. You simply MUST make your facilities where you keep your pack safe for them. GATE. CRATE. ROTATE. Line on the aggressor dog even when you're right there, so you can keep everyone safe. Brittany, once this has happened (to this degree of seriousness) you can never be comfortable that it won't happen again, I will repeat, you must control the environment.
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Is there food always in the dish/dishes? Do you free feed?

If you are free feeding, I would stop that. Feed them in separate rooms and make sure they all finish their food and then pick up the bowls.

I also agree with the others when they say crate and rotate or when one is outside the other is free inside.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
The resource guarding of the food in the laundry room needs to stop right away. It is your house and your food, not Cookie's.

The fights may continue now that they have started.

I would keep an eye on them, crate them, or Cookie, when you're not home, but definitely either move the food away from there or stop her behavior immediately. She shouldn't be doing this standing guard nonsense.
How can I stop her from doing this?
When I can't keep an eye on Varick, I always put him in his crate, which is upstairs in my room.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male

Last edited by HarleyTheGSD; 01-17-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.