German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Aggression (the good, the bad & the ugly) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/)
-   -   Growled at my mom while she was hugging her. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/397169-growled-my-mom-while-she-hugging-her.html)

VTGirlT 01-16-2014 07:25 PM

Growled at my mom while she was hugging her.

So I wasn't there. But when my mom was going to put Zelda back in her crate in my room after letting her out for potty break and hang out, she said she hugged Zelda while Zelda was sitting on my bed, and she stood over her, put her arms around Zelda and she said she thought she growled at her.

Unsure what to think about this or the action i should take.

Zelda has never growled at any family member before, but there is a first for everything.

Should I treat her with tougher NILIF as if she did for sure growl at my mom, and involve my family in it more so? To stop this behavior before it gets worse and or continues.
Or should i act as if it didn't happen and only do something when i am sure she actually growled?

Also how do i tell my 13 year old sister in better way, that Zelda is not a teddy bear, and she needs to be treated more like a dog, especially at being a year old and being a rowdy girl as a teenager! I've told this to her. I dont want to say that she could act aggressive (i dont think it will happen, but i think they test limits at this stage so you never know and if my mom is right, who says my little sister isn't next), because i dont want my sister having bad energy towards Zelda. I'm just worried one of these days Zelda is going to tell her "ENOUGH" in a mean way, i mean even a growl from Zelda would ruin her relationship (my little sister is very sensitive) I tell her dogs are NOT teddy bears! I don't think she gets it.. Suggestions?

*I'm trying not to get worked up over this as she may or may not have.. but i do NOT want Zelda getting naughty with my family. And if there is a possibility i want to nip it in the bud before it escalates.

Thanks guys!

JakodaCD OA 01-16-2014 07:33 PM

she was on the bed? well that could be a guarding my bed issue.

OR, I know she has bad hips, it could have been a "don't touch me I'm in pain issue".

Or some dogs are not comfortable being 'hugged'..

I would explain to your sister , that since zelda has bad hips, she is sometimes in pain, tho may not show it..so you have to be careful how you physically treat her.

VTGirlT 01-16-2014 08:33 PM

Ya, i guess that is what my mom said..
Very good point Diane, it very well could have involved her hippies.

She usually takes some hugging and "cuddling" but she is not a cuddly dog, she will walk away usually if you do this, unless she is tired and even then.

Ok sounds good i will try and see if that resonates with her :)

Baillif 01-16-2014 08:41 PM

Hugging or standing over some dogs is seen as an aggressive action. Someone that has a close relationship to the dog might get a pass, but someone less familiar will get a growl or worse.

How old is your dog now?

bill 01-16-2014 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 4847761)
Hugging or standing over some dogs is seen as an aggressive action. Someone that has a close relationship to the dog might get a pass, but someone less familiar will get a growl or worse.

How old is your dog now?

Agree they see it as trying too dominate! Bill:)

Sunflowers 01-16-2014 08:46 PM

Baliff, the dog is a year old.
The growl was the dog saying she doesn't want to be hugged. It was a warning. And I was a good thing that the dog didn't go directly to a bite.

VTGirlT 01-16-2014 08:49 PM

I totally get that too, but she has never done anything like that or near it.
She is a bit over a year old.

Sunflowers 01-16-2014 08:54 PM

She is maturing.

Baillif 01-16-2014 08:55 PM

She probably never liked it but is getting older and more assertive. She has a little bit of "don't eff with me."

If you want to do something about it make her associate hugging with good things. Give her a hug mark it with a yes like you would obedience or with a clicker if you insist on the extra equipment and then slip her some treats. Rinse and repeat. She will learn to love hugs.

It's a good exercise to do with new puppies. Sorta rush at them with arms held out excitedly saying their name or puuuuuuuppy! Mark it then give food immediately. They learn to deal with people approaching them like an idiot.

selzer 01-16-2014 09:17 PM

Ya know, I really don't like this. I have had little kids come up behind my dog in a store while I was paying and hug the dog. I have my nieces that do not live with me hug my dogs and stare into their eyes -- I know that could be a challenge. And at the vet, sometimes a vet tech needs to wrap their arm around the dog's head and neck area so the vet or another tech can take blood or deal with something less than fun.

If I had a one year old dog growling at a family member, then that dog would be OFF the bed and going through some major boot camp. I probably would not feed the dog anymore, and food would come from the person that was growled at, AFTER that person told the dog to sit, and stay.

Young dogs should not be asserting themselves against family members, adult or children, or the household and all its members human and canine will need to learn some Behavior Modification.

If your dog is on the bed growling at your mother, then whatever you are doing in the area of leadership and training is not working, and you need to get this in hand now, if you don't want a very sad outcome.