German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Aggression (the good, the bad & the ugly) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/)
-   -   8.5 month GSD unaltered female snapping at my face when ignored. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/394610-8-5-month-gsd-unaltered-female-snapping-my-face-when-ignored.html)

ZoeysMom 01-11-2014 02:37 PM

8.5 month GSD unaltered female snapping at my face when ignored.

Hey,

I would like help with my issue. I'll be as descriptive as possible about Zoey and her past. So she went into her first heat mid November and has been a bit more aggressive since. She is extremely well behaved most of the time. I walk her twice a day and try to keep her pretty busy. I'll play fetch in the house too when she wants to play. She listens to commands, obeys boundaries, isn't aggressive at all towards other animals or people. She's good with kids, strangers, small dogs, big dogs, tolerates my cats attacking her without retaliation. Generally shes a good dog. Lately though when I ignore her because I'm doing work or watching a movie she'll jump up on the couch (which is okay she sleeps on it all the time) but start pawing. at me, barking at me, and snapping at me. If I tell her No and to stop she will get aggressive and bark more and snap at my face. The more I try to correct her and get to her stop the worse she gets. Today she bit me in the cheek which has caused my face to swell around my cheekbone. Thankfully didn't break skin. When she gets like this how would you folks recommend me to react? So far I've tried telling her No, tried making her get off the couch and usually end up having to put her in the cage because I'm scared shes really going to hurt me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and in the household she is my dog. So I do all the walking, feeding, playing and everything. My boyfriend has little to do with her and she rarely pesters him.

Katherine

e.rigby 01-11-2014 03:08 PM

The second she starts demanding attention I would ignore her. If she does not stop I would immediately put her in time out in a crate. I wouldn't wait for the behavior to escalate. It sounds like she started a behavior, didn't get what she wanted, and got more demanding. You have to be consistent. You can't let her push sometimes and then not others. You'll need to make sure that every time she does X you do Z.

Liz&Anna 01-11-2014 03:10 PM

EXACTLY!! Crate!! I second that

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Saphire 01-11-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoeysMom (Post 4814650)
Hey,

I would like help with my issue. I'll be as descriptive as possible about Zoey and her past. So she went into her first heat mid November and has been a bit more aggressive since. She is extremely well behaved most of the time. I walk her twice a day and try to keep her pretty busy. I'll play fetch in the house too when she wants to play. She listens to commands, obeys boundaries, isn't aggressive at all towards other animals or people. She's good with kids, strangers, small dogs, big dogs, tolerates my cats attacking her without retaliation. Generally shes a good dog. Lately though when I ignore her because I'm doing work or watching a movie she'll jump up on the couch (which is okay she sleeps on it all the time) but start pawing. at me, barking at me, and snapping at me. If I tell her No and to stop she will get aggressive and bark more and snap at my face. The more I try to correct her and get to her stop the worse she gets. Today she bit me in the cheek which has caused my face to swell around my cheekbone. Thankfully didn't break skin. When she gets like this how would you folks recommend me to react? So far I've tried telling her No, tried making her get off the couch and usually end up having to put her in the cage because I'm scared shes really going to hurt me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and in the household she is my dog. So I do all the walking, feeding, playing and everything. My boyfriend has little to do with her and she rarely pesters him.

Katherine

My first thought is that this dog is bored. She needs more exercise and outlets for her energy. She is young and mostly likely testing and pushing boundaries. Exercise and structure will go a long way.

Saphire 01-11-2014 03:37 PM

I have a yearling myself and he has been a total butthead this past 2 weeks. The extreme weather and being virtually snowed in has had a definate effect and a big part of his butthead behavior. Fun hike and games through the bush today tired him out and brought back my well behaved content pup.

Sunflowers 01-11-2014 03:39 PM

I tire out my dog before I sit down at the computer or read or watch a movie.
That way I can put him in his pen for a nap, and he's happy to go in there and snooze.

wolfy dog 01-11-2014 08:16 PM

She got what she wanted: your attention, negative or positive (in our minds), it doesn't matter. So you rewarded her and her behavior increased.
The first sign of trouble? Time out without saying anything. But you have to be fair and get her mentally and physically tired first before you sit down.
Hey, you have GSD!!

Alwaysaworkingdog 01-12-2014 08:40 AM

Sounds like she's just boisterous. I would not use a crate, you'll start negative associations with, what is, a potentially great training tool - that is, if there even is an association to be made in the first place, she might not connect the two as, by the time you've gotten her into her crate, a large enough time has elapsed that no association can really be made.

She obviously isn't taking your "No" seriously enough so you need to escalate the correction and you also need to let her know that you control every aspect of her life. Don't allow her on furniture, walk first into dooryways so that she follows you, make her move when she's in your way. She's too young to be domineering so I'd say she's just testing her boundaries and what she can get away with. You've probably unwittingly reinforced this behaviour by not stamping it out to begin with. Work on your voice inflexion and escalate as she gets more boisterous, you could even attach a leash to her and use a leash correction if that is practical you can purchase dominant dog collars for really serious dogs but I highly doubt that this is serious. But we don't want you getting bit in the face again, no matter how playful it may seem, the next one might leave you blind or need stitches, so next time she does that you need to give her a correction so strong that she understands that behaviour like that is just.not.on.

doggiedad 01-12-2014 10:26 AM

sometimes when i'm sitting around watching tv, reading,
on the computer my dog wants attention. he'll sit in front
of me and whine, bark, put his paw on me, turn in circle,
etc. i take it as he wants attention. rarely do i ignore him.
i do something. i'll take him out, throw his ball down the hallway,
call him up on the sofa and pet him, give him a treat, do
some training, etc. once i engage him he settles down.

wolfy dog 01-12-2014 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 4819490)
sometimes when i'm sitting around watching tv, reading,
on the computer my dog wants attention. he'll sit in front
of me and whine, bark, put his paw on me, turn in circle,
etc. i take it as he wants attention. rarely do i ignore him.
i do something. i'll take him out, throw his ball down the hallway,
call him up on the sofa and pet him, give him a treat, do
some training, etc. once i engage him he settles down.

Hats off to your dog; he has you well trained!:D