German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Aggression (the good, the bad & the ugly) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/)
-   -   Protection training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/392474-protection-training.html)

Ava_Shepsky 01-07-2014 06:52 AM

Protection training

Can trained aggression in a dog for a specific purpose (protection/ guard/ police work etc) be 100% controlled ?

And what should a good trainer do before beginning protection work with a dog?

I was told a dog of sound temperament could not be made aggressive by this type of training. I assume a trainer would temperament test the dog before starting then

I know there are many bloodlines bred specifically for protection/ schutzhund. Does that mean a mixed breed cannot be good at it?

Just wondering what to expect before meeting w this trainer. I'll be having a lot of time on my hands in the coming months and thought I should get involved in something stimulating for me and my dog. I am not planning to compete or anything. It's mostly for fun.
Thanks

hunterisgreat 01-07-2014 08:09 AM

I think so yes. This is my female working in aggression and working on control work

Katya Bite OB 2013.08.01 - YouTube

You mean mix breed or mixed bloodlines?

mycobraracr 01-07-2014 09:48 AM

What type of training are you thinking about? PPD or a protection sport?

IMO protection training can make a dog more stable. When done correctly your building confidence in the dog, teaching it when it's appropriate to bite, showing it the different body posturing of a threat, building a strong bond between handler/dog, as well as the control aspect.

Here is my fiance and her dog Heidi working in a sport called SDA.

http://youtu.be/-JP1XVTcbLI

Ava_Shepsky 01-07-2014 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunterisgreat (Post 4787570)
I think so yes. This is my female working in aggression and working on control work

Katya Bite OB 2013.08.01 - YouTube

You mean mix breed or mixed bloodlines?

Awesome video! You can tell she loves doing it too look at her tail going the whole time she's in heel position !!

I mean mixed breed. My dog is gsd and husky. I have no paperwork on her or anything that's why I ask.

GSDluver4lyfe 01-07-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mycobraracr (Post 4788162)

IMO protection training can make a dog more stable. When done correctly your building confidence in the dog, teaching it when it's appropriate to bite, showing it the different body posturing of a threat, building a strong bond between handler/dog, as well as the control aspect.

Heidi Protection 4-20-13 - YouTube

Kiersten and Heidi 8-8-13 - YouTube

That about sums it up IMO. To me, its not about teaching aggression. All dogs possess aggression the only difference being what amount of stimuli it would take to evoke that aggression (both defensive and offensive). It teaches your dog when its ok to express that aggression and when its not. Also you gain control over that aggression and build a bond with your dog.

Ava_Shepsky 01-07-2014 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mycobraracr (Post 4788162)

Heidi Protection 4-20-13 - YouTube

Kiersten and Heidi 8-8-13 - YouTube

I'm not sure I know the difference between ppd and protection training. Sorry /: enlighten me? Lol

Great to hear! This is what I was hoping for. I know it has to be done right and build the dogs confidence instead of using the dogs fear to react. I have been reading as much as I can on it. A lot of Leerburg articles. I like them a lot. The guy seems to know what he's talking about.
These videos make me excited to get started!!!

Ava_Shepsky 01-07-2014 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSDluver4lyfe (Post 4789210)
That about sums it up IMO. To me, its not about teaching aggression. All dogs possess aggression the only difference being what amount of stimuli it would take to evoke that aggression (both defensive and offensive). It teaches your dog when its ok to express that aggression and when its not. Also you gain control over that aggression and build a bond with your dog.

That's very true! Protection work could give that aggression a healthy release.
I was just slightly worried she would turn aggressive and hard to handle.
Imo she has a very sound temperament tho - very good with people animals and children but also very alert and as she's growing out of her puppyness she is turning out to be very calm but with good drive.
She's also excelling at her obedience. Our trainer will be helping me get 100%solid on obedience before starting any protection work, which already makes me like him.
Thanks guys, for reassuring me (: