German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Aggression (the good, the bad & the ugly) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/)
-   -   Dog park behavior depends on who takes him ... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/392402-dog-park-behavior-depends-who-takes-him.html)

JToews 01-06-2014 11:50 PM

Dog park behavior depends on who takes him ...

Looking for some input from the GSD community ...

When I take Toews to the DP, he gets along famously with the other dogs and is interested mostly in chasing the tennis ball. When my son and/or his girlfriend takes him, he harasses and nips other dogs, almost as though he's in protector mode.

Anyone else have a similar situation? Any advice or thoughts?

Thanks to all for a great GSD forum.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

JToews 01-09-2014 12:01 AM

Really?! Not even a "we don't care about you or your dog" comment?!

Meh ...

madis 01-09-2014 02:42 AM

It's ok, I posted a video that my breeder made of my pup's first hike because it was adorable and the only comment was someone asking why I was over-working MY puppies. Sheesh. I'm no expert but it sounds like your dog is being protective of your son and his girlfriend, is possessive too strong of a word? I had a Basset hound who did this to me when I took her to the DP, she was just "guarding" me I think (as well as a fat hound can guard I guess). I hope you find out how to correct the behavior.

robeangyalchen 01-09-2014 02:55 AM

How old is your dog? Is he leash trained? How good is he on leash otherwise? It might be fear related aggression. More experienced member might give you a better advice.

Sarah~ 01-09-2014 02:58 AM

Nobody has to reply if they don't want to and there will always be people that don't agree with what you do or give an answer you don't like.

What do you mean by harass? Chasing and nipping dogs when you are not around sounds to me like your dog knows he can run amuk and be obnoxious at the dog park when you are not around, unless he is actually attacking the other dogs.

David Winners 01-09-2014 06:30 AM

My simple answer is don't take him to the dog park. I feel there are too many factors beyond your control that can lead to bad experiences for the dog.

David Winners

Sunflowers 01-09-2014 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Winners (Post 4799514)
My simple answer is don't take him to the dog park. I feel there are too many factors beyond your control that can lead to bad experiences for the dog.

David Winners

Agreed.

Also, you post in the middle of the night and you expect dozens of immediate replies? Really?

Nigel 01-09-2014 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflowers (Post 4799522)
Agreed.

Also, you post in the middle of the night and you expect dozens of immediate replies? Really?

The OPs original post was on the 6th, second post was today.

I agree with Sunflowers and David Winner's, I would look for other ways/places to exercise my pup.

Lilie 01-09-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JToews (Post 4786914)
Looking for some input from the GSD community ...

When I take Toews to the DP, he gets along famously with the other dogs and is interested mostly in chasing the tennis ball. When my son and/or his girlfriend takes him, he harasses and nips other dogs, almost as though he's in protector mode.

Anyone else have a similar situation? Any advice or thoughts?

Thanks to all for a great GSD forum.

When your dog is with you, it feels confident and at ease. When he goes with your son he doesn't feel the same confidence. He isn't being protective, he's nervous.

GSDluver4lyfe 01-09-2014 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilie (Post 4800058)
When your dog is with you, it feels confident and at ease. When he goes with your son he doesn't feel the same confidence. He isn't being protective, he's nervous.

I agree with this! is he more bonded to you? It sounds like when your around he feels more confident feeling as maybe you will protect him if things went south but with your son/his gf he probably feels vulnerable, all alone and takes it upon himself to drive away these "threats" as efficiently and quickly as possible. And he does that with posturing, snapping, growling, barking etc. Whichever ways have rewarded him in the past. I personally don't like dog parks but it is your choice to go or not. I would however suggest if you want to continue going to the dog park that YOU take him and not your son. Being in a defensive state is extremely stressful and if your presence can help ease that stress I would recommend it. But my first reccomendation above all is to find alternate ways to exercise/socialize your dog especially if he feels threatened while at these parks.