Aggressive behavior in a male GSD....help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Aggressive behavior in a male GSD....help!

I need some help please, I have a just 3 year young un-fixed male GSD who the day before Christmas Eve started to growl and corner my four year old daughter. He has never done this to her (got him at 6 weeks old), only barks and growls at our 1.5 year old female silky. Than on New Years Eve he started in with my husband too, but he still acts like a puppy with me. Our vet just got back to me an hour ago saying she is not surprised by this, says that most GSD's are a one person dog. Now we have a 4.5 year old female (just finished her cycle) and she is well behaved with all. Everything I have read on the subject says that they are loyal to their families (protective of children) and only act that way if they sense danger. The vet wants him fixed and sent to special training. What do you folks think? I love my boy, but I need to protect my family at the same time. Help us please....
808GSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

They are amazing family dogs! I think you should follow your vets advice, get him fixed and then take up some training with him.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Fix both dogs and train them both, too many hormones in your house when you have small kids too!
my boy diesel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808GSD View Post
I need some help please, I have a just 3 year young un-fixed male GSD who the day before Christmas Eve started to growl and corner my four year old daughter. He has never done this to her (got him at 6 weeks old), only barks and growls at our 1.5 year old female silky. Than on New Years Eve he started in with my husband too, but he still acts like a puppy with me. Our vet just got back to me an hour ago saying she is not surprised by this, says that most GSD's are a one person dog. Now we have a 4.5 year old female (just finished her cycle) and she is well behaved with all. Everything I have read on the subject says that they are loyal to their families (protective of children) and only act that way if they sense danger. The vet wants him fixed and sent to special training. What do you folks think? I love my boy, but I need to protect my family at the same time. Help us please....
I would probably neuter him, and step up your leadership. NOT by sending him away for training, but taking him yourself. Because your female is coming out of a heat cycle, he may be a mess hormonally. Find a good trainer to work with you. I'd also consider having his thyroid tested, he may have an imbalance, but I think it has to do with the bitch in heat. GSD's are loyal and protective with their family , not "one person" dogs(unless the handler has chosen to keep the dog that way).

Last edited by onyx'girl; 01-04-2014 at 08:28 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you. I would not send him alone, but would be by him the entire training. Like I stated before, we never had an issue till now. The last time our girl was in cycle, nothing...that is why we thought maybe he was ill, but showing no signs or symptoms. We are going to have him fixed, we were trying for one litter with our female (she is a medical alert pup for our daughter's sz disorder) as we wanted a back up for her. We originally got the male for that purpose, but he was unable to detect them and preferred protection duty.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

So if your daughter has a sz disorder, do you think his behavior may have played into it? He may be the opposite of the detection/protection end, instead his mind is thinking "take out the weak"? Or did he corner her to protect her? Was the growl aimed at her or what?
I don't know....I have a female GSD she is a bully(fear based) and takes advantage of anyone showing weakness. How has he acted before when your daughter has seizures? There is more going on here than the fact that he's intact.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 01-04-2014 at 09:18 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Maybe there is, and maybe there isn't. Did your boy get to your bitch?

Some boys have no change and are just as goofy and loving and sweet after they have achieved the wind and rain, and others note a change in the dog after having bred a bitch.

The act of breeding is not like lady and the tramp, when the bitch is ready, she is usually, but not always willing to stand for the male. When she is not ready, she will not stand. But a dog that has to chase a bitch down to complete the process, may have to be a little aggressive himself. I don't mean biting or hurting her. But she might be aggressive to him, and he will have to be able to take her crap, and still chase her down and dominate her.

If the breeding was orgestrated -- the bitch is muzzled and/or held in place while the dog does what he needs to do, until a tie happens. Then usually the muzzle can be removed and everyone waits for the tie to release, without the bitch becoming hysterical and dragging him around, etc. Well in this case the dog does not need to exhert a more aggressive nature. And I haven't seen a dog change for the worst after this type of breeding.

I have heard of a young male attacking a small girl who had been playing with a female who was in heat earlier in the day. This was years ago and a king shepherd, but it is hormones. Sometimes a dog will become full of himself after breeding a female, and he needs to be brought back to reality and quickly.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 09:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

This is in response to Selzer's owners comments. Not sure if they did or did not mate as they were outside in our day kennel while I was sleeping (work nights) and like them to get fresh air if I am home. The last cycle I thought they did, but had ultra sound done and was negative for conception. I makes sense that if he had to fight to get his way, he would be in a higher testosterone lvl.

Last edited by 808GSD; 01-04-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

This is in response to onyx'girls comments. Sorry new to this.No that is not it, he has been around her since he was six weeks old and she has at least 2-3 a day. The female is the one who barks and stands guard over her till she is okay (been able to pick up on them since our daughter was nine months old, so we trained her to bark and protect when they happen). The issue with the male just happened out of the blue, the day before they were playing together when we were walking. But thank you for your information, never thought of that as a cause.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They may have bred if you weren't supervising them. That probably does explain his change in behavior. Like Selzer posted, after breeding there is sometimes a change....especially if it was done without supervision.
Have you had health testing done on them? Hips/elbows/DM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.