German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Aggression (the good, the bad & the ugly) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/)
-   -   Child-Aggressive 3.5 yo Female (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/388202-child-aggressive-3-5-yo-female.html)

madis 12-29-2013 03:43 PM

Child-Aggressive 3.5 yo Female

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all!
I am still new to the forum and to GSDs for that matter. We are adopting a retired female named Ezra from her. Ezra is an outstanding guard dog and according to the breeder, she doesn't like a lot of people but warmed up to us right away. She loves cats and other dogs, but the breeder thinks one of her dad's young neighbors may have done something to piss her off and since then she hates kids. According to the breeder, she is actively trying to "get at them" when kids come over. She said she has never tried to rehab her (she only has a high schooler and no other kids ever come over). We are also getting an 8 week old male pup from her also (Ezra loves them all so I'm not too worried) what does worry me is we are going to have a 5 year old living with us in about 6 months.

What training advice do you guys have in introducing the two of them? We will not give up on Ezra, we are very calm and confident people and are ready for this challenge. We do plan on getting a professional behaviorist if we don't see improvements.

Thank you guys so much.
Attachment 155490 Ezra girl :) (this was taken by Stoney Creek Farm)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

belladonnalily 12-29-2013 04:31 PM

I'm not an expert by any means but IMHO I wouldn't try to rehab a child-aggressive 3.5yo, if that means you want to trust her with children.

I'd work on obedience diligently, and I wouldn't put her in any situation around children off-leash or up-close. She should be able to learn to control herself leashed when children are around, but I wouldn't count on making her kid-safe. Too much to risk for the child involved, not to mention the dog.

Personally, with a young child coming to live with you, I'd rehome with full disclosure.

mebully21 12-29-2013 04:32 PM

Do not take this female if you are going to have a child live with you... Period. You are taking a serious risk if you do by putting a child in ahome with a dog who doesnt like kids..

madis 12-29-2013 04:50 PM

We knew making her "kid safe" is an unrealistic goal but we would like for Ezra to at least tolerate the child (being 100% supervised of course)

ksotto333 12-29-2013 05:05 PM

A 5 year old living with you and an aggressive dog that actively tries to get to children. Coming from a breeder that was aware of but never tried to correct the behavior. This seems like possibly one of the worse ideas I've ever heard of. Her behavior towards you may also change once she is settled in and feels comfortable in your home.

madis 12-29-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksotto333 (Post 4739442)
A 5 year old living with you and an aggressive dog that actively tries to get to children. Coming from a breeder that was aware of but never tried to correct the behavior. This seems like possibly one of the worse ideas I've ever heard of. Her behavior towards you may also change once she is settled in and feels comfortable in your home.

Very true thank you we will talk with her owner further and give it some more thought. Thank you all so much for your advice!

selzer 12-29-2013 05:19 PM

I wouldn't do it.

There are a LOT of dogs in need of homes out there. Leave this one for someone who doesn't have kids and has no intention of having kids. It's really a set up. And no five year old should have to pay for it.

Also, it is unrealistic to live with a five year old and have no situation ever present itself where the dog and the child are in a room together alone. It's too much of a gamble.

doggiedad 12-29-2013 05:20 PM

don't get the child aggressive dog. you have a 5 yr old child coming
to live with you and you have no experience with dogs. what sense
does it make to get a child aggressive dog with a 5 year old coming to live
you and don't have any dog experience. don't do it. i wouldn't get
the puppy because the 3.5 yr old dog is untrained. you don't have
any dog experience. how are you going to manage a puppy and
3.5 yr old dog that's untrained? get the puppy. are you getting
your pup from a reputable breeder?

JakodaCD OA 12-29-2013 05:44 PM

I also would pass. The description of Ezra, off the owners site, describes her as a dog you don't want to walk into their house with.

She may be a nice dog, but do you really want the possible liability of a dog like this? Besides her not liking kids, (big red flag and no!), what about other people that may visit/enter your home? If she nailed someone, you could lose everything you own.

I'd pass.

David Winners 12-29-2013 05:55 PM

There is no chance I would recommend this dog to you even if you weren't having a child move in. As a first time GSD owner, I would steer clear of any PPD trained dogs until you get your feet wet by getting a young dog or puppy. You need to learn to train and take a dog through some bitework at a club so you understand what it's about before you have an adult PPD in your house.

JMHO