German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Aggression (the good, the bad & the ugly) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/)
-   -   back from vacation everything is different (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/388058-back-vacation-everything-different.html)

bellashepherd 12-29-2013 02:05 AM

back from vacation everything is different
 
I have a 1 1/2 year old shepherd, and a 3 year old pug. both female weird mix I know but they got along great since they met each other a year ago. but this past Christmas we went away to my parents farm for a week. We took the shepherd with us she loves it there. We left the pug with a dog sitter that we have used before. We came back home and the dogs were reunited fine then a few hours past, and both dogs were going nuts and attacking each other. I had to separate them and calm them down. It has happened since at least once a day. I have gotten rid of all toys and bones. they are not fighting over any food or things. when I am petting my shepherd and the pug is around she will start to cry like pet me pet me. then the shepherd starts to growl and it is a matter of seconds before they are at it again. I feel like the shepherd is being very protective and I don't know what caused the sudden change. My shepherd seems to growl very easy now, The pug seems to be getting on the shepards nerves really easy. I even gave them both a bath to get ride of smells. Is my shepard uneasy because she is not feeling well? I want to make it go back to normal. please help.

thanks, in advanced

doggiedad 12-29-2013 09:02 AM

rehome the Shepard and find a behaviorist/trainer for the Shepherd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellashepherd (Post 4737354)
I have a 1 1/2 year old shepherd, and a 3 year old pug. both female weird mix I know but they got along great since they met each other a year ago. but this past Christmas we went away to my parents farm for a week. We took the shepherd with us she loves it there. We left the pug with a dog sitter that we have used before. We came back home and the dogs were reunited fine then a few hours past, and both dogs were going nuts and attacking each other. I had to separate them and calm them down. It has happened since at least once a day. I have gotten rid of all toys and bones. they are not fighting over any food or things.

>>>>> when I am petting my shepherd<<<<<

and the pug is around she will start to cry like pet me pet me. then the shepherd starts to growl and it is a matter of seconds before they are at it again. I feel like the shepherd is being very protective and I don't know what caused the sudden change. My shepherd seems to growl very easy now, The pug seems to be

>>>>> getting on the shepards<<<<<

nerves really easy. I even gave them both a bath to get ride of smells. Is my shepard uneasy because she is not feeling well? I want to make it go back to normal. please help.

thanks, in advanced


MaggieRoseLee 12-29-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

doggiedad;4737738]rehome the Shepard and find a behaviorist/trainer for the Shepherd.
:confused:

I'd be very vigilant and really step up YOUR interactions and leadership in the house. Not up to my dogs to suddenly decide to get into it. I am there, I am telling them 'NO' and they know to listen to me.

Since they were getting along, if you step in NOW and just have tons of rules that you enforce so they are more worried about you then each other, then it should help. If you have crates/baby gates to help when you can't watch I'd use that.

Done any obedience work with either/both dogs? That would also help PUt you in the leadership role.

You ever read The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell ? That may help getting balance back a bit.

good luck

pyratemom 12-29-2013 09:42 AM

I'd separate them unless supervised vigilantly. Reintroduce them as if they had never met. Separate walks, then walks together eventually with both on leash. You may need a friend or spouse for that part. Feed them apart and play with them apart. Have a mutt matt or rug for each and switch between the two so they can smell each other without contact. If they were once friends, a month or so could make a big difference with the reintroduction. Crate training is great for separation and giving them each a place of their own. Obedience is essential, but make it fun. Train them separately so each gets full time attention during their session.

David Winners 12-29-2013 09:59 AM

A problem with brachycephalic dog breeds, especially pugs, is that they can't display normal calming signals. This is from lack of learning them in the first place and physical limitations. Your GSD may not know that your pug is trying to say "enough." The good thing is that there is no blood, so they aren't serious... yet.

Because this is happening so frequently, I would take a direct approach. I would put a dominant dog collar on the GSD and have it wear a drag line in the house. When the GSD goes after the pug, calmly say "no" and lift her off the floor a couple inches with the drag line until she settles and then put her right back down. It's really important that you stay calm.

This type of correction will not amp the dog up further and takes the power away from the dog immediately.

Because the dogs are not aggressive all the time, setting up a DS/CC training scenario is going to be very difficult.

If the dogs have solid OB, as soon as you see one of them becoming aggressive, the moment the thought enters their brain, place them in a down or recall one of them. You have to really be on your toes to read the dogs in time.

JMHO

David Winners

Gretchen 12-29-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyratemom (Post 4737826)
I'd separate them unless supervised vigilantly. Reintroduce them as if they had never met. Separate walks, then walks together eventually with both on leash. You may need a friend or spouse for that part. Feed them apart and play with them apart. Have a mutt matt or rug for each and switch between the two so they can smell each other without contact. If they were once friends, a month or so could make a big difference with the reintroduction. Crate training is great for separation and giving them each a place of their own. Obedience is essential, but make it fun. Train them separately so each gets full time attention during their session.

I agree with this advice.

We have two Siamese cats, they are brothers, 6 yrs old and good friends. When one was 4 he was hit in the face by a car. They are both kind of feral and although he survived the car accident, I told the vet I couldn't handle him to treat him during the recovery period. The vet loved Siamese and said she would like to take him. She had him for a week, he was recovering well but was depressed and suggested I take him back. When we took him home, his brother was so mean to him, hissed and wanted to fight. Two weeks later they were back to normal, so hopefully over time your dogs will get along as friends again. The cat that was hit really changed for the better when he came home, much more friendly and easy to approach.

doggiedad 12-29-2013 10:33 AM

in one sentence the OP says he has a Shepherd
in another sentence he says he has a Shepard,
get it, :laugh:.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 4737738)
rehome the Shepard and find a behaviorist/trainer for the Shepherd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee (Post 4737778)
:confused:






I'd be very vigilant and really step up YOUR interactions and leadership in the house. Not up to my dogs to suddenly decide to get into it. I am there, I am telling them 'NO' and they know to listen to me.

Since they were getting along, if you step in NOW and just have tons of rules that you enforce so they are more worried about you then each other, then it should help. If you have crates/baby gates to help when you can't watch I'd use that.

Done any obedience work with either/both dogs? That would also help PUt you in the leadership role.

You ever read The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell ? That may help getting balance back a bit.

good luck


MaggieRoseLee 12-29-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 4738138)
in one sentence the OP says he has a Shepherd
in another sentence he says he has a Shepard,
get it, :laugh:.

:wild:

middleofnowhere 12-29-2013 11:37 AM

What I see as happening is that the shepherd is maturing + she went on a trip with you. What a bonus! And what elevated status!
On top of this, the pug is now wanting (demanding) attention (did she act like this before when you were petting the shepherd?) when the shep has yours. Did you give the shep this sort of attention before? -- Info I have has always been that the senior dog gets attention first, gets more attention, gets better attention than the newby. This trip sorta reversed that and you may have inadvertently messed up the status in the household.
I would revert to giving the pug attention first, seeing that the pug had good things happen when the shep was around and, basically, restore her status.

FortheLoveofChari 01-03-2014 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by middleofnowhere (Post 4738346)
What I see as happening is that the shepherd is maturing + she went on a trip with you. What a bonus! And what elevated status!
On top of this, the pug is now wanting (demanding) attention (did she act like this before when you were petting the shepherd?) when the shep has yours. Did you give the shep this sort of attention before? -- Info I have has always been that the senior dog gets attention first, gets more attention, gets better attention than the newby. This trip sorta reversed that and you may have inadvertently messed up the status in the household.

I agree that this is what had happened.

Also MaggieRoseLee is right in what she has suggested <3

You need to restore that you are the one in charge of dictating what goes on in the household, because right now the Shepherd is calling the shots.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2