GSD Bit Trainer.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default GSD Bit Trainer....

Hello Everyone, I am in a tough spot. I rescued a beautiful GSD 2 years ago. I knew he was not fond of men and have had him in training. He has come a VERY long WAY, fully off leash trained , recall very good dog, still not fond of most men.

Before I rescued him he was trained by someone who contracts with the rescue. I have not seen this trainer in 2 years. I referred someone I know to this trainer as she was local to his area. The trainer wanted to see me dog again so I agreed to drive down and watch her train her new rescue and have my dog see his old trainer. The old trainer is a male and he was/is well aware of his lack of fondness for men.

I saw the trainer enter the gate and immediately proceeded to the front door, I had my GSD by his Sprenger collar and we were sitting in the doorway. I wanted the trainer to clearly see I was present with my dog. Dog was sitting nicely, had a firm grip.

I was expecting the trainer to ask me to have me step outside and have the dog slow get re-acquainted with him, well thats not what happened, this trainer just walked up to him and started to put his hand out and said "heyyyyyy". I was not expecting him to keep walking towards him and began to say "whooa whooa whooa" before I knew it my GSD lunged forward and bit him in the groin, I immediately pulled him back and he sat down. It was a severe bit. GSD never growled and never barked.

Trainer said "that's exactly what he did before". I was like what? He did this before?????? I never knew he bit anyone in the past and immediately thought if you knew he did this in the past, why the heck did you just walk up to him like that.

This trainer has now hired a lawyer, is going to sue me and reported my GSD to animal control.

I offered to pay his medical bills, but he just said a lawyer will be contacting me.

I do not know what to do. I adopted him 4 months after my last GSD died (who I had for 15 years). I am worried animal control is going to seize him and get a euthanization order.

I know the dog never should have done that, but the trainer has to accept some responsibility here.

Can anyone else chime in on this ?
GSDINSOCAL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

oh boy. get a lawyer. Find out the laws in your local ordinance and state.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Trainer should expect to be bitten. It is part of the job description....especially when they show dominant behavior to a dog with some baggage. The trainer set your dog up to fail. I hope you can find an attorney that is versed in bite laws...and that your dog is not held accountable for human stupidity.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Trainer should expect to be bitten. It is part of the job description....especially when they show dominant behavior to a dog with some baggage. The trainer set your dog up to fail. I hope you can find an attorney that is versed in bite laws...and that your dog is not held accountable for human stupidity.
This is what my current trainer said, my current trainer is excellent with my dog and wants to rip the guy a new one for putting him in this position KNOWING his history. I stood at the door waiting for him to tell me to come outside and slowly introduce him.

I do have a 500,000 renters insurance that does cover dog bites, so I am guessing I just need to call my insurance carrier.

I am worried animal control is going to come knocking on my door, a friend suggested I may need to have my dog "run away" , for his own good......that breaks my heart.....I do not want to give him up.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry you are in this position.

First I would contact a lawyer.

Second If the dog has a bite history which this trainer and the rescue were aware of and never informed you I would look at turning the tables on the trainer if possible, see what the lawyer says. Just remember if he does report it to AC and the dog does in fact have a previous bite history this probably will not bode well for your dog.

Look into the laws as they pertain to dog trainers and bites, after all he is a trainer and trainers get bitten, they should have insurance to cover themselves for this.
BahCan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

One other thing, remember you are potentially involved in a lawsuit, be careful what you write on the internet, it could come back to hurt you.
BahCan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahCan View Post
One other thing, remember you are potentially involved in a lawsuit, be careful what you write on the internet, it could come back to hurt you.
This is why I was very vague......
Old 12-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

seems like the trainer did it on purpose and knew he was going to get bitten so he could sue u or the rescue

dog trainers should expect to get bitten sometimes its part of their job like a vet tech, U will be fine he might get the rescue in trouble idk a gsd bit a woman in the face and she sued the rescue sad I know
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The trainer is a scumbag.

He was more aware of the dog's issues than you were, and did that and now wants to sue you???

If by your user name, you are in Southern California, then I think it would be a good idea to look into how similar cases have been treated in the court system. Dog trainers, and Vets, and groomers are supposedly under a different system when it comes to dog bites, but it may have to do with whether the dog was under that person's control

Get a good lawyer. The rental insurance will most likely pay without a fight, but then they will drop you. And if your dog is deemed dangerous, you may be required to gcarry insuarance. So, you might want to consider using a muzzle on this dog, regardless of the outcome of this mess.

Lots of men want nothing to do with the breed. Other men seem to think all dogs love them and they know better than the girl holding the lead. Some might do exactly what this guy did. A muzzle will prevent anyone else from getting hurt, and in a pinch you can pull that bad baby off in a heart beat.

I would think you might be ok in this situation. But another guy, another day... I think a basket muzzle, at least when you are not working in class, can protect your dog.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

I would contact a lawyer and be ready, but I bet he was just overly emotional after being bit in the groin. That happens LOL. I think this will probably blow over after he calms down and thinks about the situation.
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.