Fight :( - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Fight :(

Well today the unfortunate happened, the dog i rescued 3 weeks ago was let out like usual into our yard with our Border collie like he usually is everyday, only today i walked by the glass door to see my little BC dexy being shaken and hauled around by the neck by Tyson in what looked to be a full blown attack. So out i went in a panick and TRIED to remove tyson from dexters neck, i dont know tyson that well and i was alone so my only option was to twist up on his collar and lift him off, at this point dexter was yelping like crazy and limp..i pulled tyson all the way acroos the yard by the scruff of the neck and put him in the florida room. Dexter has no punture wounds from what i could see just a little bit of blood and some surface scrapes.Tyson is fine. I yelled at him and put him on his side and i feel terrible about it, when i came back from tending to dex i found him shaking in the corner facing the wall NO i would never and did not hit him. I think he realized that he screwed up. I am not sure who started the fight, i was not around to witness it, i have a feeling that it was something to do with a stick or some random thing they could play with (dexter and tyson are very good at resource guarding) ..i do my best to remove all items like that from the yard but i obviously failed removing stuff today, and frankly my yard is full of trees and shrubs. If i cannot curb this the behaviorist will be contacted, she is on christmas vacay. I feel like a total failure right now. I practice strong leadership in my house BUT i am guilty of being a softy when it comes to snuggles and on the couch and bed type stuff..thats my fault and that all stoped on my part today. Can this be a one off type deal with them? can they bounce back from a fight and get on fine? will they ever be able to be outside alone again? has any one had success dealing with this sort of thing and not have it escalate into insanity and vet bills? i do realize that this sort of thing happens sometimes but tysons a 75 lbs dog dexter 43 on a fat day..i am guessing it may have been serious to a point but if tyson really wanted to finish dex off he could have easily.
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

All I have to say is I'm sorry. I can't imagine. I have nothing constructive to add. My heart goes out to you.
Sp00ks is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Both of my strategies wouldn't serve well here on this public forum. But generally speaking, once the pecking order is set, it usually goes unchallenged for the most part. Most dogs aren't trained fighters looking to brawl all the time.. But sometimes you have to find ways of establishing that order non violently

Sent from my LG-LS970
Jaythethird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaythethird View Post
Both of my strategies wouldn't serve well here on this public forum. But generally speaking, once the pecking order is set, it usually goes unchallenged for the most part. Most dogs aren't trained fighters looking to brawl all the time.. But sometimes you have to find ways of establishing that order non violently

Sent from my LG-LS970
You think that set the pecking order? dexter wont look at him, come up the stairs, be in the same room, but i muzzled tyson to let them out for a pee and dex still managed to give him the "look" which tyson ignored but that could have been another throw down in the making.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

First, it takes a minimum of 2 weeks for a dog to come out of their shell and show their true personality.

Second, for a dog to have another animal by their neck and shaking them it is serious. That is how they kill.

Since you were not out there to witness what happened it's hard for anyone to say. However, going forward, do not leave them unattended for a second. Crate and rotate if necessary. It takes a couple weeks for the stress hormone to leave their body after a fight so until then, it's not uncommon for the fighting to escalate.

Jax and Sierra used to fight. Sierra has terrible nerves and is dog aggressive. She never once came out on the winning end and was at the vet for stitches more than once. It only take a glance to set a fight off. The trigger can be very subtle. We started training with them to get it under control but then I went on vacation and took Jax with me. We haven't had a single fight since then. It's like something reset in Sierra's brain.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I think you handled it well.

I would play with them a lot and see where the trigger for the fight is coming from. Get any toys they may fight over and let the dogs know you won't tolerate any aggression from either.

Because you new dog is a rescue he may have had an experience in the past where he needed to use aggression.

Do you keep them separated most of the time or are they together?

How do they get on the rest of the time?

Do they resource guard items or people?

I've seen dogs fight and be fine after. It depends on the situations and how you deal with it and then how you act in future. By being more cool with both dogs can be good for a while rather than being really petty.
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaythethird View Post
ut generally speaking, once the pecking order is set, it usually goes unchallenged for the most part.
I very much disagree with this. Sierra never once won a fight with Jax but she never stopped starting them. I fostered a doberman that would start fights and never once came out on top but that didn't stop him from starting them.

It all depends on the animal and most dogs that start fights are not confident animals. IMO, they usually have underlying fears and anxieties.

But nobody was out there to witness what happened or who started it so nobody can even guess what might have happened.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I very much disagree with this. Sierra never once won a fight with Jax but she never stopped starting them. I fostered a doberman that would start fights and never once came out on top but that didn't stop him from starting them.

It all depends on the animal and most dogs that start fights are not confident animals. IMO, they usually have underlying fears and anxieties.

But nobody was out there to witness what happened or who started it so nobody can even guess what might have happened.
Had a lab mix just as you describe.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLab View Post
I think you handled it well.

I would play with them a lot and see where the trigger for the fight is coming from. Get any toys they may fight over and let the dogs know you won't tolerate any aggression from either.

Because you new dog is a rescue he may have had an experience in the past where he needed to use aggression.

Do you keep them separated most of the time or are they together?

How do they get on the rest of the time?

Do they resource guard items or people?

I've seen dogs fight and be fine after. It depends on the situations and how you deal with it and then how you act in future. By being more cool with both dogs can be good for a while rather than being really petty.
Together, 3 weeks not one problem, (not that i could see anyways)
They get on good
No people are all fair and loved, i dont keep toys around its a bad scene with all of them.

I know experts say" dogs move on from the moment right after it happens" i dont know if i believe that..i think they remember stuff and it effects them, i have no clue about his passed life,

They are both fixed
Old 12-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post

Yes, they have been out together before with no issues, i am very worried about the true personality shining though as you said in about 2 or 3 weeks time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.