A little too territorial of property? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default A little too territorial of property?

Hi!

I live in Tuscany, Italy, in a small villa with acres of fields surrounded by gates. Lately, if any person strange to my dogs (mostly my male German Shepherd and male Dogue de Bordeaux) approaches the gates, my dogs will run to the gates, snarling, snapping, and barking at the person until they leave.

In one case, the person didn't leave, and my German Shepherd ran forward and leaped onto the person. He didn't bite, but pinned the person to the ground.

I'm getting a little worried, as my female dogs don't act this way. I'm worried because I have a 2 year old daughter in the area, and my 9 year old little sister. If my dogs mistake them once for an intruder, the kids could get hurt.

Is this a male-dog thing? Are they protecting their land, or themselves? Most days, my 5 males (A German Shepherd, Dogue de Bordeaux, Rottweiler, Neo Mastiff, and Cane Corso) will spend their time patrolling the walls, and growling anytime they hear a noise. My females (A GS, Rottweiler, and Maremma Sheepdog) just remain calm, watching them with confused expressions on their face.

I rarely have family come over, since I live with my cousins, sisters, and aunt and uncle. But when they do come, my grandfather was almost attacked by my male GSD until Cesare recognized his familiar scent.

So my question is....

Are my dogs being too territorial? Do I need to control them more, as in keeping them indoors or something. They are both out and indoors. Is there something that is bothering them? I get nervous, thinking somebody that could do harm to my family is out there.
EscapeTheFate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeTheFate View Post
Hi!

So my question is....

Are my dogs being too territorial? Do I need to control them more, as in keeping them indoors or something. They are both out and indoors. Is there something that is bothering them? I get nervous, thinking somebody that could do harm to my family is out there.
Yes, because you have allowed them to be.

Untrained and with no guidance or instruction for who IS really a mass murdered or relative, our pups may just start guessing.

And, frankly, growling/barking and generally attacking is a bit fun....

Since it's not really up to my dogs to decide my parents are murderers..... but I'd rather have my dogs cue from me on who's coming up the path... I actually socialize and teach my dogs to look/listen/learn from me.

Fact is, I haven't been murdered EVER! Really, never But, instead, my dogs and I have met hundreds of great friendly or at least neutral people.

So I make it my 'job' to prepare my dogs for my real world full of good people they don't have to attack and pin to the ground. But instead greet in a friendly manner BECAUSE I'M CALM AND GREETING THEM THE SAME.

You able to find any trainers/classes in your country to start learning how to be the leader in your dogs life? That would be the fastest and easiest way to get a handle on this. In the meantime those dogs would not be out and allowed to freak everyone out.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
And, frankly, growling/barking and generally attacking is a bit fun....
LOL! Too true My dogs would LOVE to have free roam of the property, telling everyone they see to back right up and vamoose. Unfortunately, they'd also be telling the neighbors that they can't hang their laundry...that's not good.

You have to prevent them from doing this. My puppy would have also liked to chase cars - poor little guy didn't get away with that one either. Such a rough life, lol.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

its just how the dogs are they are suppose to be territorial what makes them good protection dogs

YOu need to make sure no one can get in the gates and properly introduce kids to the dog when you are around, and dont let them jump on anyone and pinn them, you have to make sure they listen and know what is right and wrong or else they will judge just like your shepherd did

Just put a lock on your gate so you can control who comes in and out

They seem to be stronger and MUCH more dangerous if they are out there with another dog they are bonded to, pack mentality or pair mentality i dont know what it is

Last edited by pets4life; 12-19-2013 at 05:21 PM.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Okay thanks for the help, everyone!

Our nearest neighbors are 12 acres away, so not many people walk through. Where I live, there's not much modern technology, so people stroll through, greet us, and be on their way.

Sadly, our gates are wooden, no locks are possible. But I could try binding them with rope.

And unfortunately, I don't think there's any dog trainers in the area. Any other suggestions? Sometimes I walk to the city (we have no car), but that's miles away. And if I did go, there may not be a trainer, which would be pointless.
EscapeTheFate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

bind it with a chain and bike lock and put a no tresspassing sign
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.