Help!!!!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2013, 04:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help!!!!!!

I adopted a GSD named Max about 5 days ago he's 16 months old which still makes him a pup rite?.........well the problem is that i have 2 other dogs a 7 year old russian samoyed named Bunty and a 6 year old german shorthair pointer named Dainey both of them are females, when i introduced the new house guest to them Bunty started barking and she snaps at him whenever he gets close.Dainey's okay with him but Bunty encourages her to bark at him too. Yesterday i unchained max to roam in the lawn with my other dogs who are always unchained i was supervising them from a distance all 3 of them were minding their own business but when i called Dainey, Max jumped on her and with his paw on her head he was growling, Bunty came for her help and they all started fighting it lasted for 6 seconds luckily none of them were bitten Bunty was covered with Max's saliva. The same thing happened again when Max accidentally left his cage..................I'm confused and i don't want to get rid of them

P.S:The fight was loud
Chief1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

When Bunty and Dainey met all the other many dogs BEFORE you got Max, how did they behave? Have they always done well with all your friends dogs? When you take them out in public with other dogs? Well behaved in dog classes?

That what I always look at before adding another dog to the mix. I make the dogs I have 'practically perfect'. Take the dog classes. Socialize them with any and all dogs/cats/horses/people/camels..... really prepare them for anything.

More importantly I KNOW how they will behave in almost any situation and how I will deal with them too.

So when I add a new and unknown like your Max, it's only Max I need to focus on an watch how this new dog behaves. Great to know then that it's just Max that needs the crating and dog classes while I just work thru the issues with Max.

Dealing with THREE dogs with THREE sets of issues if I failed to appropriately socialize and train the prior dogs would be a possible nightmare I'm not prepared to deal with.

Good luck.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 05:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Dainey's okay with other dogs but bunty's not that social she can't stand another dog(except for Dainey).........she prompts Max to attack her by constantly barking at him. Max is a disciplined dog he was trained by the army so i guess the problem's with Bunty. I know this is a GSD forum but you guys are dog experts so any advise on how to cure her problem?

P.S:I live in Pakistan most people here don't like dogs so it's hard to find a good trainer
Old 12-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

just now Bunty was chewing on a bone and Max after following her for a while attacked her but none of them were bitten ............this is the third time this happened
Old 01-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

The issue Bunty is having is that she feels her "space" is being violated by an outsider. She needs to learn that the space belongs to you and not her. Have her on a leash and let the other two roam free. Watch her closely. If she starts showing aggression, correct her and likewise praise her for good socialization. This is going to take time. Increase the socialization time everyday and loosen the grip on the leash little by little everyday.
nnaraynn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief1 View Post
just now Bunty was chewing on a bone and Max after following her for a while attacked her but none of them were bitten ............this is the third time this happened
You need to increase your control of the environment. DO NOT give them bones, toys, food, treats, chewies, etc. when any of the dogs have access to the other dogs. If you want one to have a bone to enjoy, put the other dogs up in a secure room, and let the dog with the bone enjoy it in peace.

Personally, I would have a crate for each dog and use that to allow them to securely enjoy their food, treats and toys. But if you can't supply each with a crate, you can supply each with some privacy by locking the other two dogs up (separate from each other) while the dog in question enjoys whatever it is they have.

You are expecting way too much out of these dogs. Do not leave toys laying around. Do not leave bones laying around. CONTROL THE ENVIRONMENT and remove items that might potentially cause conflict.

Good luck.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief1 View Post
Yesterday i unchained max to roam in the lawn with my other dogs who are always unchained
Having one dog chained in your yard, while the others are free to roam in the same yard can cause aggression in the pack as well.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.