Benny blinded puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Benny blinded puppy

My daughter moved home in October with her 8 week GR pup.
Benny has been very good with Kenobi, giving him a puppy license, but last night bit him in the face. It happened so quick; a quick bite and he let go.
There was no blood but the pups face was bruised. This morning his face was swollen but he was his playful and happy self. Tonight we noticed one of his eyes was not responsive and took him to the e vet. He is blind in one eye. The vet said we can take him to a pet optometrist but there is probably nothing they can do.

I do not blame Benny. It is my fault. My husband and daughter blame me.
I did not see it happen One minute they were fine and I walked out of the kitchen and it happened.
I am heart broken right now... feel like the worst dog owner in the world.
Please be careful to all those who add a new pup.

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1007494

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/610245.html
Debbieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 01:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Debbie--

I am very sorry but it is not your fault. You had no idea this was going to happen because Benny had been good with the puppy. Accidents happen. Please do not be hard on yourself about this.

I don't mean to sound insensitive but since it's happened, being blind in one eye is not that big of a deal, especially when they grow up that way.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 02:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Oh no, I'm so sorry. I agree with Ruth - I know you feel terrible, but it doesn't sound like you could have anticipated something like this. Please don't beat yourself up over it.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 02:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Dogs are dogs. Please don't blame yourself. Our pup got bit in the nose by our senior dog and it became infected. Accidents happen.
blehmannwa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Don't beat yourself up, accidents do happen.

Shadow, my lab, has been more or less blind in one eye, from birth. Early on, it appeared she did see light, shadows, but that soon disappeared as well. The only way anyone could tell anything was different about her is because of the eye being blue. Otherwise she is full speed ahead.

Something to keep in the back of your mind. Keep a check on the eye ball pressure and appearance of the eye and how it rests in the eye socket. In Shadow's case, the pressure built quickly, it became an emergency situation and she had to have the eye removed. It isn't an easy surgery, full recovery for Shadow at least, took a while.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have around a hundred "I wish" when it comes to me pets; sometimes things happen.

Lycan is largely blind, 100% in one eye, 60-70% in the other with a kaleidescope vision in the portion that remains. He is one of the silliest, happiest dogs that I know. Kenobi will never know the difference; it may even help him develop control over the force.

Jelpy
Old 12-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm so sorry, try not to feel bad though, it wasn't your fault!! These things happen so suddenly, there's nothing anyone could have done.

My GSD growing up, Max, was blinded in one eye at 4 months old by our family cat. He lived a completely normal life and no one even noticed he was blind, sometimes he just wouldn't see you on one side.

Everything will be ok!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

The e vet said the optic nerve is damaged and there is a slim chance when the swelling goes down his sight will return, but unlikely. He is on tramadol and anti biotics. The e vet did say there is a chance the eye may need to be removed so we will monitor. Kenobi goes to our regular vet this morning.

He is playing, bringing tennis balls and seem his happy self, but I do feel bad. I know dogs will be dogs but my family is emotional right now (We are Italian) and saying it is on me for not training Benny well enough. They don't get that even the best trained dog in the world could do this when left alone with another dog. I have kept toys off the floor, fed them seperately, to prevent this and never saw what started it.
Up until this incident Kenobi had followed Benny around like he looked up to him.

I know Kenobi will adjust and be fine with just one eye. I am going to enroll my daughter in puppy classes so he can socialize with other pups and have some good experiences. Hopefully he wont become fearful.
Here is a pic the night before it happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Benny blinded  puppy-1004887_10152078589358491_992303052_n.jpg  

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1007494

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/610245.html
Debbieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

It sounds like Benny gave the puppy a muzzle correction - completely normal and appropriate way for an older dog to discipline a pushy puppy. This is not aggression, it was just an unfortunate fluke that Benny got the eye area.

It's not your fault or Benny's fault - it was just one of those things that happen.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I am so sorry this happened, but absolutely not your fault. You did everything right and could not have foreseen this. Dogs are dogs...

I can feel your pain though, because my family also tends to need someone to blame. I caught it with my son when he was staying with us and his Boston Terrier got out with our lab who is dog aggressive. My son accidently let him out, but I got the blame, just for the principal of it I guess.

Speaking of the Boston, Heidi once spent an entire Saturday with him and all of a sudden hauled off and bit him in the head. Dogs are dogs.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.