German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Aggression (the good, the bad & the ugly) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/)
-   -   Dogs jealousy aggression ?!?!? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/375761-dogs-jealousy-aggression.html)

Abe Merie 12-04-2013 01:13 AM

Dogs jealousy aggression ?!?!?

Ok so I have a 14 yo GSD Female ( Sally) and she's not crazy about other dogs but I wanted to add more dogs so that led me to adopt two newborn litter mates GSDs that are about 7.5 mo now ( Lucy and Rocky) in order for Sally to accept having them around... Lucy will flip smooth right out and attack the other dogs ( specially Rocky when they receive attention by any of the family members ( she won't attack Sally but she'll bark her head off ) ... Lucy seems to be the alpha no doubt although she's the smallest gsd I've ever seen .. I try to correct her every time I'm around but it seems that it's going no where and she's getting even worse .. Not sure what to do at this point ... Help!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

wolfy dog 12-04-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abe Merie (Post 4609185)
Ok so I have a 14 yo GSD Female ( Sally) and she's not crazy about other dogs but I wanted to add more dogs so that led me to adopt two newborn litter mates GSDs that are about 7.5 mo now ( Lucy and Rocky) in order for Sally to accept having them around... Lucy will flip smooth right out and attack the other dogs ( specially Rocky when they receive attention by any of the family members ( she won't attack Sally but she'll bark her head off ) ... Lucy seems to be the alpha no doubt although she's the smallest gsd I've ever seen .. I try to correct her every time I'm around but it seems that it's going no where and she's getting even worse .. Not sure what to do at this point ... Help!

That is a lot of dynamics to unravel. Is Rocky a male? I don't know what you mean by "punishing". But most likely it will make it worse or, if she considers it attention from you, reinforces her behavior, which also makes it worse.
You need to get in charge with each individual dog; training, exercising, crating and separating them on a regular bases. Also give the old gal a break from the youngsters. Read this book: "FEELING OUTNUMBERED?" and the threads on raising two puppies.
In the meantime: as soon as you see Lucy's first signals for trouble, immediately separate her from the others by taking her gently but confidently by her collar and say "OOPS!" and put her in time out for a few minutes. Not in a crate but behind a closed door if you can. Get her out on a leash and practice some obedience with her.
Forget about the word "Alpha". It is outdated. True Alpha dogs do not bully others. But the very best thing you can do is hiring a trainer that is educated and works with the newer techniques. Go to Association of Pet Dog Trainers - Dog Training Resources and click on Trainer Search.
Never leave them alone together.

Abe Merie 12-06-2013 02:10 AM

Honestly they are great with each other when they're alone . It's when people are around is the big problem . If I try to separate them they both freak out and bark as of if they are crying or for each other ... Still I'm having to separate them to give attention to Rocky the male .
I feel like I have to I force my self as the pack master because apparently Lucy is acting otherwise when she attacks her brother .
Btw I bought the book ( feeling outnumbered ) that you recommended .. I will finish reading it soon .. Hopefully I will find some good tips because googling this issue have me some conflicting answers ...

Baillif 12-06-2013 09:25 AM

It sounds like resource guarding on the part of Sally. She is viewing people as a resource, after all they provide the food attention affection and that kind of thing. It is compounded by the fact you raised two siblings together.

kiya 12-06-2013 09:52 AM

Lucy sounds like my Lakota. Rather than correcting her after the fact I try to nip it in the bud. Whenever I see her posturing or giving my male the hairy eyeball I get her attention back to me. She will guard toys, bones and people. There are a lot of things you can do but I don't really believe the behavior goes away. Management and prevention.

Abe Merie 12-07-2013 02:19 PM

It makes sense to think about it as resource guarding... Specially that they get along fine the remaining if the time .
I'm going to try to feed them separately and use preventative correction when it's petting time... She's normally very obedient so I hope it works since she's still young ... Thanks for the input guys I will post an update about the results.. Whats the deal with having two siblings being different than unrelated dogs ?

Baillif 12-07-2013 02:39 PM

Raising Siblings

There is a post on the forums about it somewhere with a few more links on the subject.

Edit I found it

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...dogs-once.html

Abe Merie 12-07-2013 11:34 PM

Wow! Honestly this whole thing makes sense. They are in fact act like they are one ! Which I think is shadowing Rocky's personality . I talked to my wife that maybe we need to re-home one of them but she thinks it's ( cute) that they act up when separated . I immediately thought it was a separation anxiety .. Also Lucy's aggression towards her brother ... I have to admit getting two siblings is partially my fault because I thought it would have been a good idea and that they will keep each other busy and I didn't do a lot research before committing to this matter.

doggiedad 12-07-2013 11:41 PM

if i had a 14 yr old dog that doesn't get along with other dogs
i wouldn't bring 2 dogs home.