Please help! 11 month old with nipping & jumping issues - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Please help! 11 month old with nipping & jumping issues

Hi all -- I'm new to the site, not new to GSDs though

I have a predicament with the newest member of the family. Jax is an 11 month old male, not fixed yet, that we adopted last week. It has become apparent that the poor guy has had minimal training. He is completely uninterested in my boyfriend and I (we co-own him) and is very nippy and jumpy. He does not have food aggression but nipped me when I gave him a treat and jumps and nips at my face when I am trying to work with him on a lead and he doesn't like something. We have a 14 month old fixed male boxer that we have had since 8 weeks and while Jax is playful, he will not let our boxer sniff him and he nips and jumps at his face and neck. Neither boy seems to want to give up dominance. Can anyone offer suggestions or help? I have had GSDs before nut have always gotten young pups that I trained and I have never had to deal with this in an 11 month old 75 lb and growing boy. I don't want anyone to get hurt. I need to be able to train him but he is not interested in me, he won't play fetch and he jumps whenever he wants something or cries and barks. It's been an exhausting week of little progress with him. He is housebroken and crate trained but hates the crate and paws and barks all night trying to get out.
saintbee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

This is just the first week you have had Jax. He is going thru a big adjustment so he is acting out with the nipping and the jumping and then there is your other dog who is used to being the top dog. I think it would help if you can work with Jax alone without your other dog present - you may find then that he will start to relate to you. An 11 month gsd has lots of energy you may want to start by taking him for a walk alone . For the jumping up and the nipping, you can try tucking your hands underneath your arms and turning your back - completely ignoring him. You also may want to search on some of the threads on clicker training which may also be a way to reach him.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Increase the exercise by a lot. Also, behaviors that make a dog a pleasant companion (not jumping on people, taking treats gently, focusing, etc.) don't come naturally to most dogs. They need to be explicitly taught by the owner.

OP, it does sound like you are a little inexperienced. My best advice would be to find a good trainer and sign up for classes ASAP. That will help get you on the right foot, and help you set goals and reach them.

Good luck! This is a very exciting time for you.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.