German Shepherds Forum banner

Please help us. Dog turned agressive

29K views 156 replies 49 participants last post by  AshleyD 
#1 ·
We have a two year old male GSD. We got him when he was about ten weeks and has been in our home with myself, my wife and our 17 year old son. He is the most loved and loving thing you would ever see. My work takes me away for weeks at a time and he spends every minute of every day with my wife. She walks him four to five times a day. She takes him to the field by the house three times a day to play catch. She feeds and cares for him like he was another child of ours. He is our baby.

Since he was old enough to bark he would defend the vehicle and the door very aggressively. We have had a difficult time having friends of our son stop by for this reason. He is very intimidating and very loud. Although to this point it was all more bark than bite, he is avoided by all but one or two of our son’s friends.

About three weeks ago he started growling at our son. It was like just one day he wouldn’t want him in the same room with him. The dog would hide from the boy and he was visibly shaking. We tried to have the boy feed him some of his treats and the dog just would growl at him. We separated the two and it has been hit or miss ever since. Sometimes he would be fine and loving on the boy. Other times he would growl and move towards the boy.

Fast forward another two weeks and he has started the same behavior with the wife. He will love her by kissing her and licking her like only these puppies can do and the next minute growl at her. Several minutes later he would sit next to her and lick her face then start growling at her again.

We LOVE this dog. He has NEVER been mistreated. He is loved, well fed and well exercised. Up until a few weeks ago I would say he is well adjusted. Fiercely protective of the home and when he is in the car but obedient and well behaved.

Now for the bad news. The dog bit our son. Fortunately it was not a bad bite but it wasn’t a nip and he did intend to do harm. He has been to his vet and there appears to be nothing obviously medically wrong with him. We are urgently trying to find an animal behaviorist to meet and hopefully give us an idea of what may be happening. The problem is that there are no openings in our area. My schedule keeps me away for weeks at a time. I cannot leave my home with the dog alone with my wife after he went after the boy. Our choices are limited. We will not rehome the dog and pass this problem onto another that may mistreat him for this horrible behavior. We do not want to put him down as it is an unthinkable thing to do if there is a chance we can figure out what is wrong. I am afraid the unthinkable may be what we need to do.

If anyone can give us information that will help us and our puppy please help.

See less See more
#2 ·
My quick take on it is that he is 2 now & feeling his oats. But at the same time unsure of himself. (defensive [and testing what he can get away with] yet alternting with shaking.) He has now ramped it up a notch.

It's a hard one to recommend training from a distance. What I would do right off the bat is remove all privileges. I would implement what I call "hard core nothing in life is free". For details on this, I'd google Bill Campbell's "earn-to-learn" - and hope it took you to his website for the good information posted there on this very technique. If nothing showed up on google, I'd go to the library & get his The New Better Behavior in Dogs. book. NOW.

Doggo would loose all privileges and the NILIF/earn-to-learn program would be followed by all members of the family. [In the initial 10 days or so, the dog gets fed, watered, let out & brought in. No eye contact, no rewards, no treats, no attention.] Things like being on the furniture are considered rewards. If he's been sleeping on the bed or on a chair, his butt hits the ground. etc. This is doggie boot camp without a fight.

#3 ·
I agree with that recommendation completely. Your dog is now testing the waters and it's time you pulled the life jacket off and make him sink or swim.

The problem with being the leader is that you are always being tested to see if you still rate being the leader. The dog has to be reminded that he/she is the follower, and NOT the leader.

Some dogs are harder than others to convince of this after they grow up.

#4 ·
The problem with being the leader is that you are always being tested to see if you still rate being the leader. The dog has to be reminded that he/she is the follower, and NOT the leader.
This seems like it is it in a nutshell. Did your son's voice recently get deeper? Maybe he is interpreting that as a change in the structure of the pack. It seems like he think he's the boss when you are not around.

My Belgian Shepherd tested me at the two year mark... would defy commands and get aggressive. Just remain consistent and restrict privileges and that should do the trick in a few days.

Maybe the poor guy is in heat. haha.

#5 ·
Thank you

We appreciate the help. The last thing we want to do is have anyone hurt including the animal. In addition to being heartbroken, my wife is very scared when he comes at her. He is so strong and very capable of serious damage.

What do I do to get him to understand that this is unacceptable behavior. I refuse to hit him. Expecially with an agressive dog, voilence to correct violence doesn't seem the answer.

How do we correct this and immediately get him to understand his attacking will not be tolerated? I can have him on the leash when he does this and when I correct him he looks right through me. He acts like I am not even there.

Yelling "no" no matter how loud or stern seems to have no effect. Pulling him back removes him from reach but he just lunges with more strength and ramps up the ferociousness. I have heard a 50/50 mixture of white vinager and water in a spray bottle onto his snout may help. Any thoughts?

#90 ·
.... and when I correct him he looks right through me. He acts like I am not even there.....
This is what sticks out in my head. I'm no expert by any means but with the "blank stare" he is giving you seems very inducive to a medical issue, possibly seizure related. At any rate, I'm hoping for the best for you and your pup!

#6 ·
I don't think physical correction is the way to go. Best would be to avoid putting the dog in a situation where he can react.

I'm surprised you said he reacted fearful toward your son first? Is he usually a fearful dog? Are you sure nothing happened? (even something as silly as your son stepping on his tail etc)

If he was my dog I'd be looking into some serious training classes, he seems to have worked out that he can make people afraid of him- which often then makes the dog more reactive because they feel they need to be in charge.
If he isn't neutered I'd be calling for an appointment right now to get him cut. It's not going to make things perfect but after a few weeks he won't have as much testosterone in his system which could help.

Definitely start with "noting in life is free" he sounds like he's had a lovely spoilt life so far.

#7 ·
It may help if you describe in detail the bite incident with your son.

I would have also run a Thyroid test on the dog, as sometimes an out of whack thyroid can cause aggression issues.

#8 ·
Keep in mind when beginning hard core NILIF - which is needed - there may be a temporary increase in the behavior, so be prepared for that.

While in the middle of one of these events, it is hard to remember but do your best to not 'pull back' on your dog, instead to the side. Pulling back will kick in his natural instincts to go forward - exactly where you don't want him to go. Instead, correct to the side and put him off balance.

Post where you are located. Someone may be familiar with an experienced trainer/behaviorist in your area.

#11 ·
Definitely make sure you eliminate health reasons.

Any trainer you find needs to be able to give your son and wife their confidence back. I may be reading too much into your comments but it sounds like they are understandably very fearful. If so they need to honestly assess whether they can ever completely put that fear away. A constant tester will never believe you are in charge if you don't believe it. It's mental, not physical.

#14 ·
Agree on the no fear...letting him know we are not fearful and we are in command.

The issue for my wife is that again, I will be leaving for work soon. I am gone from the home overseas for a period of 30 days. This clearly is not something that can be "fixed" by the time I leave for work or even the next few months I am guessing. Leaving her in the home with Sieg alone is a frightening idea.

He is completely current on all vaccines and and his trifexis as well. He is extremely well cared for.

This is by all accounts a switch flipped and completely surprising and disheartening.

Any help is appreciated.

#22 ·
Agree on the no fear...letting him know we are not fearful and we are in command.

The issue for my wife is that again, I will be leaving for work soon. I am gone from the home overseas for a period of 30 days. This clearly is not something that can be "fixed" by the time I leave for work or even the next few months I am guessing. Leaving her in the home with Sieg alone is a frightening idea.

He is completely current on all vaccines and and his trifexis as well. He is extremely well cared for.

This is by all accounts a switch flipped and completely surprising and disheartening.

Any help is appreciated.
Did this behaviour start post recent vaccine? He could be having a reaction, especially rabies...google "rabies miasm", essentially the vaccine if MLV can induce rabies type symptoms (aggression) and/or adjuvants can casue seizure type disorders - that along w/pesticide (trifexis)

What are the possible side effects of Trifexis: Side effects that may occur include vomiting. If vomiting occurs within one hour of administration, redose with another full dose. Other side effects may occur. Continue giving Trifexis chewable tablets and talk to your veterinarian if your pet experiences decreased appetite, lethargy or decreased activity, diarrhea, cough, increased thirst, vocalization, increased appetite, redness of the skin, hyperactivity and excessive salivation. Talk to your veterinarian about any side effect that seems unusual or especially bothersome to the pet.

What should I discuss with my veterinarian before giving Trifexis to my pet: Tell your veterinarian if you are planning on breeding your pet. Tell your veterinarian if your dog has a history of seizures (epilepsy).

NOW - if you didn't know of the potential for seizures, you couldn't advise

GSD also prone to MDR1 mutation (10% - this is a genetic mutation mostly in herding dogs)...this is a simple cheek swab that can be sent out and should be done before administering ANY HW/flea products - it can lead to seizure disorder and/or death

#16 ·
About three weeks ago he started growling at our son. It was like just one day he wouldn’t want him in the same room with him. The dog would hide from the boy and he was visibly shaking. We tried to have the boy feed him some of his treats and the dog just would growl at him. We separated the two and it has been hit or miss ever since. Sometimes he would be fine and loving on the boy. Other times he would growl and move towards the boy.

Fast forward another two weeks and he has started the same behavior with the wife. He will love her by kissing her and licking her like only these puppies can do and the next minute growl at her. Several minutes later he would sit next to her and lick her face then start growling at her again.
This behavior isn't 'testing the waters'. Testing the waters might involve the dog growling when asked to be removed from the couch. Or when you attempt to remove a toy / food. Not aggressive behavior that has no trigger.

#17 ·
When they did a health eval, did they look for any signs of epilepsy, etc?

Your description of the sort of lightswitch behavior makes me think of something seizure induced, or rage syndrome.

On the other hand, the bite occurred after being pinned to the ground while in an already excited state. Hmmm....

#18 ·
Good luck with the behaviorist later today. There seems to be a disconnect in training theory going on - you say you don't want to hit him because you don't agree with using violence and yet you're telling us about your son pinning him. There's a problem. And also saying that the dog is very spoiled, which is another problem. Hopefully the behaviorist can work with your entire family to get things back on track.

#19 ·
Sorry to hear of this problem. I'm no expert but I have a few thoughts.

Every time one of these threads starts there are always people who say get the thyroid tested. I don't ever recall seeing anyone post a reply saying "Oh, it was his thyroid! We got some medicine and the dog is back to his old self!" Not saying not to do it, just that I'd be real surprised if it anything other than behavioral.

Reading between the lines, I'd say that your dog is testing you. I get the feeling that you have spoiled him (as you admitted) and let him have his way often in areas where many would have chosen to discipline him (such as barking at your son's friends--since when does the dog choose who is welcome in your home?).

You refer to him as "your baby." I respectfully disagree. Babies can't crush your hand with one bite. Babies won't attack your son. This is a dog, an animal, and you and everyone in your family need to realize that and begin to treat him as such.

You don't want to hit him (absolutely correct) but sometimes this attitude translates into a failure on the part of all in the family to be strong leaders --disciplinarians-- to the dog. As he matures he senses this weakness and asserts himself.

He is apparently a strong-willed and dominant male (which is ok) but you have to relate to him as such. NILIF is a great start, but you have to change fundamentally how you relate to him. This doesn't mean that you can't be nice to him, but you have to maintain control--he has to know that even when you are hugging him, it is always, always on your terms.

If he regains his respect for you and your family I suspect he will calm down and accept his rank as last in the pack of 4, and follow your lead on what goes on in your household. Good luck.

#20 ·
By the way, when you have to leave, you cannot and should not leave your wife and son alone with the dog. I don't understand why that is even an option for you. He can maul both before you are back. Are you in contact with the breeder? Ask him if he can at least board him when you are gone. Then your family has an opportunity to see what normal life is like again.
And don't have anyone's face close to the dog's for obvious reasons.
Personally I would give this dog to someone else who can handle him and maybe get another breed. It is very hard for people who treat their animals like babies to suddenly become assertive dog trainers, especially if the dog knows he can take and has taken them on in the past.

#21 · (Edited)
Neuter the dog NOW!

I'm surprised no one has focused on this. It can make a huge difference. (And it should not cost $400)

The 2 year old mark coincides with the increased testosterone and is the age when intact male dogs start to challenge the hierarchy.

It may not totally change the dynamics, you still need to do the NILIF, but I bet it makes a huge difference.

If you have a GSD to protect your property and family, neutering does not lessen their ability or inclination to do so. If the dog is not being used for breeding or dog sports, now is the time for neutering.

I never neuter puppies or young dogs but wait until all their growth is concluded and at 2 it has finished growing.

You say you are not home for long periods, are you sure your son has not been teasing or been physical with the dog before? Having two male teenagers in the house - human and dog - can sometimes create their own rank dynamics.

I know many male owners, I am one myself, are reluctant to neuter because they project on the dog.

#23 ·
No, his last vaccines were months ago.

The behaviourist is the only one in the PNW and one of 60 in the US. He is booked out for weeks.

I don't know what to do...it is killing my wife as she has spent 24/7 with him his entire life. I am gone consistently for a month every/other. She now cannot walk him, hold him, love on him. It's extremely upsetting.

Again, I realize something has had to occur but in terms of from our, the handlers standpoint, nothing has changed. I appreciate that overly loving or overly paying attention to him may have triggered something along with his being 19mos old but nothing has changed in terms of feeding, playing, walking, exercising or sleep.

If we cannot get an "emergency" appointment with the behaviourist I absolutely have no idea for what to do. I am not comfortable and will not leave him with my son and wife.

This is absolutely heart wrenching. He is such a good boy and so lovable.

#24 ·
If we cannot get an "emergency" appointment with the behaviourist I absolutely have no idea for what to do. I am not comfortable and will not leave him with my son and wife.
Board him until you get in this office. Forget that he is "such a good boy and loveable". He is dangerous and you need to see him for what he is right now.
Neutering will not fix this but he should never be bred. You need to protect your family and put their safety first before you will regret it and we see you on the news.

#26 ·
This is fear of your son. Something happened in their relationship that caused mistrust and the pinning certainly didn't help.

Lots and lots of good advice, and a little bit of bad mixed in. Does your dog ever seem to space out or look right through you? When he growls at your wife does he seem "different" or off and then it's like he's normal again?

When you talk with the behaviorist, see if they can recommend someone you can work with if they don't have an appointment available. Since you mentioned that s/he is only of 60 in the states, I assume you are looking at only those with a certain "credential". There are many capable behaviorists that don't have certifications but would be able to help you (and there are many that won't be able to) so do your homework, ask for references of a case similiar to yours and interview the behaviorist before committing. More popular and more expensive doesn't mean better.

#27 ·
Neutering will fix a lot of it. You don't lose anything, it's a relatively cheap and simple procedure that any vet can do. You don't need to wait until your regular vet has an opening. You can literally pick up the yellow pages and find one to do it.

Right now, your wife and son are afraid of the dog which reinforces the notion in his head that he is above them in rank.

Board him while you are gone. That is also the start of the NILIF process and everyone can have a fresh start when you are back. Right now, everyone needs to calm down. Humans and dog.

Raising a dominant GSD like a human baby does not work. Most GSD owners, including people in this forum, have never really owned or even met a truly dominant GSD. Your dog may or may not be one. I'm also betting that something happens when you are not home between your teen-age son and the dog that you are not aware of yet.

#29 ·
Reading your post about the $4000 MRI

DEFINATELY do the MDR1 cheek swab test - it's less than $100.00 - your vet should know about this, if not, then google and provide the info.

Your dog could very well be reacting to the trifexis...

Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology Lab at the College of Veterinary Medicine

DOn't be duped by the clinical studies of 136 dogs (approx.) and having no real adverse reactions - these studies are done by the drug companies who profit - the real stories/reactions come from the thousands and thousands of adverse reactions on actual family pets

#30 ·
Exactly what Ocean said.

The more you share the more clear it seems that the dog has already won the mental contest. He knows it and he knows they know it. There is no physical game and someone will get seriously hurt if they try to make it one. That includes pinning him to the floor as you already found out.

It's going to be a hard decision but you have to honestly assess it. Do you have the money to work through medical possibilities, boarding, training. If not you really need to change your focus from fixing the problem to figuring out where he goes next.

#31 ·
A previous dog at 8 years old developed all the symptoms of Rabies Vaccinosis. All his life (he was born here in a foster litter) he was a sweet dog. Then at 7 years old he started to become fear aggressive (serious attacks) to strange dogs, then to familiar dogs in the neighborhood, then to his own canine pack members ( he attacked an old and frail dog that he had known all his life) and then he became petrified of me. He fled in his crate when he saw me in the morning. This dog has been clicker trained and never been hurt!! In the meantime he had been on Reconcile and other drugs but nothing did anything. I had to keep him separated from my own other dogs. Then one day I put his bowl down and he looked at me with a very scary (green glow) look in his eyes. I then decided that it was time to have him euthanized to prevent a tragedy. I wasn't willing to put anyone in jeopardy. It was heartbreaking and still is, but I never hesitated after making that decision. I am sure it was the result of the rabies vaccines throughout his life. The other dogs never mourned him, they actually played hard that day. The vet never wanted to discuss it.......

#32 ·
sent you a private message, do you know how to retrieve them? would only like to add to my pm that the trifexis and vaccinations can surely wreck havoc and cause neurological issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.