Barking while "playing" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Barking while "playing"

Hello,

I am semi-new here...only posted once and am mostly a lurker. I have a 6.5 month old gsd. We are currently in Sch training. I also have a 11 month old Cardigan Corgi. The corgi is WAY more interested in playing with other dogs, he LOVES to run around and wrestle, the gsd isn't nearly as interested.

Before I started Sch I had the mindset that every dog, if well socialized, should want to run around and play with other dogs. Now I realize that every dog and breed are different, and a lot aren't interested in playing. I also realized the "danger" of fenced in, closed space, dog parks(just that you don't know what kind of control owners have of their dogs and anything could happen). So we don't do dog parks anymore.

I have been only allowing my dogs to be around other, neutral dogs, that we know. And it's been going great. Except my gsd does this thing (he's done ever since he was a puppy), he barks CONSTANTLY when other dogs start running around. It doesn't seem aggressive, but sometimes seems nervous (which I know can turn into aggression). At the advice of my sch trainer, he is put up immediately if he starts barking/getting nervous. I take him away from the situation.

We have been doing sch training for almost two months now, and it is making a huge difference. Just really encouraging focus on me at all times, seems to have relaxed him and he can go longer and longer periods with our friend's dogs before he reverts back to barking/nervousness.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with this? If they have any additional advice? Thoughts on what I am currently doing?

Thanks so much.

Dani
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Your GSD is young and gets excited easily. So when he sees another dog, he barks. You can distract him - by suddenly going in another direction. You can also have him sit, and say quiet - try putting your hand over his nose - give him a treat when he is quiet. I suggest you start at a distance to practice, then as he gets better, you can get closer.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks so much!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would follow the advice your Sch trainer gave you. Do you really want to discourage him from barking completely?

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I would follow the advice your Sch trainer gave you. Do you really want to discourage him from barking completely?
Hello again, no obviously we encourage the barking in Sch training, but there is a time and place. When it's only a few barks while running around, that's fine....it's when he's becoming agitated, barking(no breaks), running back to me, barking, whining...I just don't want to encourage that.

Before Sch training when he would do this, I would say, "it's okay, it's okay" when he ran back to me. Now I know I was encouraging that fear/anxiety and his dependence on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.