Staged video of Kira's behavior. Aggression? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Staged video of Kira's behavior. Aggression?

Please don't flame me.

(The kids thought I was playing a game, but I obviously wasn't)

This is an ongoing issue, and sometimes it's not easy to describe what's been going on.

My daughter had a friend over. I decided to leash Kira, and video her actions. I wanted the people here to see what Kira's been doing to all guests.

This girl has been in my home for about an hour. Kira's been "on alert" since she walked in. My wife leashed her, and put her next to her on the sofa. The young girl was sitting in a small dinette area with my other daughters.

Kira was lying down, when I asked the girl to simply get up an walk over to the fridge or recliner.

Please describe what you see.

It's an ugly video, and I'm very embarrassed by her behavior, so please be nice.
I'm looking for answers, not criticism.

Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I see a very reactive, protective dog who felt the teen was invading yours/hers space, like she was a threat.

Old previous GSD mix was always good with my daughters' friends, who were teens. But anyone else in the house was OK as long as they stayed in their spot. Like the Maytag repairman was fine working in the laundry room as long as he did not leave. However she was not that fierce.

Molly is a lot more protective, mostly because kids are grown and we have few visitors. Recently we had someone come into our house to update some business software. This person has a lifelong fear of dogs. We put Molly upstairs, after a while her down slowly, our desk faces the landing of the stairs. Each time giving her treats telling her it's OK and the software guy ignored her. Slowly bringing her closer and closer on a tab leash, giving treats and using calm voice. He stayed for 3 hours. Molly would alert exactly as Kira did when the guy moved, we got her to relax on the sofa just like Kira. But I have a feeling Molly too would have lunged and barked if he moved too far or too fast.

Molly is getting pretty good with people that have come over, say 4 or more times. The people can move around the house, just not very quickly. Hopefully for you with repeated exposure to the same people while you provide some positive reinforcement (treats, toys, petting, etc) Kira will learn to relax.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rei
Elite Member

I wish I could see the girl, actually. I know you said that she thought it was a game, but her question sounded apprehensive at best and there's a fair chance that she was nervous. I am basing this off of your wife's promise that she "won't let [Kira] get to [her]".

It didn't look like an aggressive response to me, just excitement and reactivity. She seemed to sense that something was about to happen beforehand, and reacted when it did.

I really just see a young, reactive dog in a tense atmosphere. Nothing ugly about her reaction. Undesirable, sure, but not ugly. It doesn't seem like an aggressive or protective response to me.

Bree - 2/11/08 Tuxedo DLH Cat

Raina - 8/12/11 Black Smoke DLH Cat

Rei is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

get the dog off the sofa.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just watching that video I see a dog that is in protection mode, which can be considered aggressive. It didn't help that she probably sensed the kids fear. If the girl didn't starting laughing or move quickly, I think it would have been slightly different. As much as I love Kira, per this video...it looks like the safest place for everyone and her is the crate when people are over. What would she have done if you walked over to the girl with you? Did she have any contact with the girl before the video?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't know what to advise except for crating, I agree with you this is unacceptable. I know from reading your posts how hard you work with her, and I'm sorry you are having issues with her. Tessa would be kenneled before anyone entered my house if this was her behavior. I would hate to have something happen to a guest, and have Kira suffer the consequences.
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
I wish I could see the girl, actually. I know you said that she thought it was a game, but her question sounded apprehensive at best and there's a fair chance that she was nervous. I am basing this off of your wife's promise that she "won't let [Kira] get to [her]".

It didn't look like an aggressive response to me, just excitement and reactivity. She seemed to sense that something was about to happen beforehand, and reacted when it did.

I really just see a young, reactive dog in a tense atmosphere. Nothing ugly about her reaction. Undesirable, sure, but not ugly. It doesn't seem like an aggressive or protective response to me.
The atmosphere was a bit tense, because of the staging. The girl did nothing, but get up and walk away. The giggles came from my 8 year old.
If I would have let Kira go, she would have lunged at the girl, and put her mouth on her arm. Not necessarily bite down. But of course, that's not acceptable either.

Kira will act this way, with every guest in my house, EVERY time someone moves! She will know you're there. You can leave the room, and come back, and she'll act as she did in that video. She never relaxes with people in my house.
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

i don't think you need to test Kira anymore. i
think it's time you and your wife start to protect
Kira. keep her behind closed doors or crated when
you have guest. find a behaviourist. good luck.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

[QUOTE=llombardo;2999306]Just watching that video I see a dog that is in protection mode, which can be considered aggressive. It didn't help that she probably sensed the kids fear. If the girl didn't starting laughing or move quickly, I think it would have been slightly different. As much as I love Kira, per this video...it looks like the safest place for everyone and her is the crate when people are over. What would she have done if you walked over to the girl with you? Did she have any contact with the girl before the video?

The problem is that he has children, they have friends, children laugh, move quickly and are unpredictable. The girl obviously was not a threat to anyone. I agree crate every time.
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Staged video of Kira's behavior. Aggression?

Dont be embarrassed. I think videoing was a great idea. I wouldn't allow her on any furniture though. Have you worked with a trainer?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.