Staged video of Kira's behavior. Aggression? - Page 18 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #171 (permalink)
Knighted Member

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #172 (permalink)
San

Yay! So happy to hear that the two of you will stay together!! Best of luck!
San is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #173 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yay!!! I couldn't stop thinking about your situation. So glad you figured something out. You have been an amazing dog owner IMHO. I look at some of the stuff you do with Kira, and think, "I wish Stella would do that".

And I love reading the "Kira did this" posts. I look forward to your threads. They are never boring!

Just so you know, you were one of the people whose posts and pms helped me when I was getting so frustrated and ready to throw in the towel. I love it that Kira is not perfect and that you continue to work with her. It inspires me to do the same with Stella.

Looking forward to the day when those of us with young, reactive dogs can look back on these days and say...."Been there, done that. But it's over and I now have a wonderful, mature, well behaved GSD".

Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #174 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That's a nice size run Anthony, she'll be real comfortable there I'm sure. Take pictures when you get it done!
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #175 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The reason I chose a run, is because I keep Kira out in the yard for hours during the day. Outside of playing with her toys, she has no problem just laying back there, and enjoying the fresh air.
The run is on the side of my home. It will allow the kids to open the back sliders to my yard, yet keep the dog secured. I have the BBQ, table, chairs, etc.. back there.

I would think that putting her in a place she enjoys would reduce her stress of being removed from the action.

Not sure why I didn't think of this sooner.. duh.
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #176 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
The reason I chose a run, is because I keep Kira out in the yard for hours during the day. Outside of playing with her toys, she has no problem just laying back there, and enjoying the fresh air.
The run is on the side of my home. It will allow the kids to open the back sliders to my yard, yet keep the dog secured. I have the BBQ, table, chairs, etc.. back there.

I would think that putting her in a place she enjoys would reduce her stress of being removed from the action.

Not sure why I didn't think of this sooner.. duh.
Sometimes it just takes a little longer until it dawns on us. BTDT

You are doing the right thing. You certainly seem to have the premises and the means to build her a beautiful run.

Another thing you can do is, if she likes Kongs with Peanutbutter, Cow Hoves or anything else to chew on... always have a couple of Kongs ready in the freezer so whenever she has to be removed from the action you can give her one outside.

It's not something you have to do but I do that with the boarding dogs I'm having here. Whenever they have to be removed and go into the crate, they get a Kong with frozen Peanutbutter, that way they keep quiet. Since she's at home, she might not need that at all, I'd still do it though
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #177 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm really happy to hear this Anthony. I think you have a GREAT plan and I wish you the best of luck! Thankfully, Kira has an amazing owner and will be able to be enjoyed for what she is.... even if she is a bit quirky.
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #178 (permalink)

Default Many thanks to Kira's Mom

Thank you for sharing your story.

I just joined this forum. I'm looking to be as informed as possible. I have a 9 month GSD, Zeke. He is not my first GSD and I have six other dogs in the house. We also rescue dogs and have found homes for three other dogs who are very sweet and loving companions to their new families.

I love him to death and we are very bonded. The video of Kira is nothing compared to how insane he reacts. When he is in attack mode I can only pull him off with great physical force and great risk of being bit. He is incredibly focused on whatever he is after. I know some of his behavior is consistent with his breed. He is very protective and super vigilant. He has bitten me a number of times, but nothing serious. He is also afraid of everything( diagnosis fear agression). He has attacked all of our small dogs, two had to go to the vet. Most recently he continued to attack even after the other dog showed her belly and was submissive. He grew up with these dogs, they are not new to him. We've been to the behavioral clinic at OSU and I've been in frequent contact with the behaviorist. We've been to basic training, which back fired. I need to get him in to a desensitzation program recommended by the behaviorist. I've read numerous books, websites, talked to "experts".

For safety he now must be kept separate from all other dogs/cats. He must be crated when ever any children are around, or any friends come in the house. He must be kept on a very strict routine which includes DAP collar, Prozac and distraction (Kongs and the like). I can only exercise him late at night or early in the morning when there are no other people/dogs out. I'm training him to get used to a thundershirt and a muzzle.

I'm now to the point, like Kira's mom, where I think I need to build him a large run so I can be sure he can't get out and hurt anyone or anything.

Supposedly, we will be able to desensistize him over time. It just seems like no way for a big healthy dog to live. All of this intervention goes against everything I've always believed about dogs. I never in a million years thought I'd agree to medicate a dog. Training definitely, but medication? I was critical of friends who did medicate their dogs.

I understand what you are going through. A year ago, I would not have understood. I've had to live through it myself.

Last edited by hopper65; 03-12-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Ooops! I mean Kira's Dad!
hopper65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #179 (permalink)
Crowned Member

" When he is in attack mode I can only pull him off with great physical force and great risk of being bit. He is incredibly focused on whatever he is after.
- part removed ---
He is very protective and super vigilant. He has bitten me a number of times, but nothing serious. He is also afraid of everything( diagnosis fear agression). He has attacked all of our small dogs, two had to go to the vet. Most recently he continued to attack even after the other dog showed her belly and was submissive"

I am so sorry that your dog is so much trouble . This is not normal nor is it (part reinserted) " I know some of his behavior is consistent with his breed.", not at all . If it were normal I would have no interest in the breed . Instead the GSD can provide great service and positive things to "us" but there has to be a stable temperament at the base which allows for this.
It would be interesting to critically examine how and why such temperament came to be , looking at the pedigree, early diet, early raising and exposure --- not saying that you created it - early signs .

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #180 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopper65 View Post
Thank you for sharing your story.

I just joined this forum. I'm looking to be as informed as possible. I have a 9 month GSD, Zeke. He is not my first GSD and I have six other dogs in the house. We also rescue dogs and have found homes for three other dogs who are very sweet and loving companions to their new families.

I love him to death and we are very bonded. The video of Kira is nothing compared to how insane he reacts. When he is in attack mode I can only pull him off with great physical force and great risk of being bit. He is incredibly focused on whatever he is after. I know some of his behavior is consistent with his breed. He is very protective and super vigilant. He has bitten me a number of times, but nothing serious. He is also afraid of everything( diagnosis fear agression). He has attacked all of our small dogs, two had to go to the vet. Most recently he continued to attack even after the other dog showed her belly and was submissive. He grew up with these dogs, they are not new to him. We've been to the behavioral clinic at OSU and I've been in frequent contact with the behaviorist. We've been to basic training, which back fired. I need to get him in to a desensitzation program recommended by the behaviorist. I've read numerous books, websites, talked to "experts".

For safety he now must be kept separate from all other dogs/cats. He must be crated when ever any children are around, or any friends come in the house. He must be kept on a very strict routine which includes DAP collar, Prozac and distraction (Kongs and the like). I can only exercise him late at night or early in the morning when there are no other people/dogs out. I'm training him to get used to a thundershirt and a muzzle.

I'm now to the point, like Kira's mom, where I think I need to build him a large run so I can be sure he can't get out and hurt anyone or anything.

Supposedly, we will be able to desensistize him over time. It just seems like no way for a big healthy dog to live. All of this intervention goes against everything I've always believed about dogs. I never in a million years thought I'd agree to medicate a dog. Training definitely, but medication? I was critical of friends who did medicate their dogs.

I understand what you are going through. A year ago, I would not have understood. I've had to live through it myself.
Do you think he has a good, happy, normal life?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.