Well, as you know Gus is very reactive. BUT.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Well, as you know Gus is very reactive. BUT..

Yesterday I was carrying some things up the stairs to my house and my fiance said he would grab Gus. Gus was being lovely on the leash and I guess my fiance didn't have a power grip on the leash. A dog ran out from the side of our house and got pretty close to Gus. He wasn't charging Gus but just running around. Anyway..the dog took off down the street and there went Gus full force. He pushed the dog into the hillside and was biting at the other dog vigorously. Gus definitely had the power and opportunity to injury and kill this dog, but the other dog walked away unscratched.

We got there as quickly as we could and it looked bad until the dogs were separated. Both were 100% fine. What was Gus doing?!

Also, I know this is 100% my fault. But it was an honest mistake and an accident. I guess I just know Gus way better and should have made sure he was in my hands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

He was probably just trying to scare the other dog.
Most reactive (not aggressive) dogs do not want to hurt the other, but are reacting out of fear and saying "Hey go away this is my space, you're scaring me !" in a very loud manner.

I'm glad both dogs were ok though.
angryrainbow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus View Post
Yesterday I was carrying some things up the stairs to my house and my fiance said he would grab Gus. Gus was being lovely on the leash and I guess my fiance didn't have a power grip on the leash. A dog ran out from the side of our house and got pretty close to Gus. He wasn't charging Gus but just running around. Anyway..the dog took off down the street and there went Gus full force. He pushed the dog into the hillside and was biting at the other dog vigorously. Gus definitely had the power and opportunity to injury and kill this dog, but the other dog walked away unscratched.

We got there as quickly as we could and it looked bad until the dogs were separated. Both were 100% fine. What was Gus doing?!

Also, I know this is 100% my fault. But it was an honest mistake and an accident. I guess I just know Gus way better and should have made sure he was in my hands.
I'd like to correct the above statement....

You know Gus way better, and you know that it's time to work on a fool proof recall, and drop on command.
What happened to you and Gus was always my biggest concern. For that reason, I've spent endless hours working on her recall.

You should be able to call him off anything.
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
I'd like to correct the above statement....

You know Gus way better, and you know that it's time to work on a fool proof recall, and drop on command.
What happened to you and Gus was always my biggest concern. For that reason, I've spent endless hours working on her recall.

You should be able to call him off anything.
I am trying as hard as I can, but he doesn't work with even the SLIGHTEST distraction. He's got so much prey drive any noise, smell, movement gets him going like crazy.
I've been really working on showing that him coming to me is way better than whatever else he's doing but he's not responding to that. I'm starting to think shocker collar.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus View Post
I am trying as hard as I can, but he doesn't work with even the SLIGHTEST distraction. He's got so much prey drive any noise, smell, movement gets him going like crazy.
I've been really working on showing that him coming to me is way better than whatever else he's doing but he's not responding to that. I'm starting to think shocker collar.
I think you should start a thread in the training section, and see what you can get from it. Also seek out a local trainer.
This is very important for you and your dog. I'd hate the see this happen again with worse results.
I constantly work her call off and recall, under every scenario I can think of. That's a "biggie".
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Gus is still a puppy.
It is very unreasonable to expect an excellent recall from a puppy.
One of my shepherds is titled in Schz and Obedience but his recall sucks 50% of the time out of the ring!

I wouldn't expect anything more from a dog under 2, maybe 3 years old.

Here is a nice link for recalls in puppies (:
Lesson 6
angryrainbow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A boxer did this to Ozzy at the dog park once....
He was standing over Oz making a ton of noise, but I was able to reach down and grab Ozzy by his life jacket and rip him to safety.

I know very well the boxer could have injured Ozzy, even in that very short time frame, but he didn't. He just made a lot of noise and scared Ozzy, but unfortunately, he doesn't care for boxers anymore. (Not that I have a problem with that - just the way they play could hurt him).
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My GSD was very reactive to other dogs. In addition to the recall, she had an excellent "Leave It!" command. I could call her off of anything. She had a high prey drive too, but I could call her of a squirrel or rabbit, or even a dog.
Stevenzachsmom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I would agree....recall and leave it are the key commands. Stella is reactive and I have been working a lot on leave it. Recall is getting better unless she is past the point of listening at all. Am starting a class on reactive dogs this weekend. I have an e collar which I intend to use for recall training at some point if necessary. It has worked very nicely to stop her charging and barking at our property line. I usually can just tell her leave it and she will stop at this point or use the vibrate function without saying anything.

I wonder if this age (about 18 months to 2 yrs) is another full of themselves phase....Stella certainly is feeling quite happy about herself lately.

Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

On a personal level...I trust my dog's "Leave it!" better than I do a recall when it comes to a scary situation. If I can break focus, then I can control my dog. "Leave it" for my crew breaks their focus. Then I can bring them back to me.

Because of this, I try not to use 'Leave it' when it can't be enforced. So if I'm walking through the pasture and my dogs are running around me and they see a cat, I'll say "You better not even think about it!" and they'll ignore it. But if they've already started the chase I have to raise my level of control by using "Leave it!"
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.