Selective Agressive Behavior Towards People
New member here, and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I just adopted a year old GSD girl (Jazz) about a month ago. A few days after I got her, I decided to take her to the dog park (on a leash) just to see how she did when interacting with large groups of people and other dogs. She did great, all she wanted to do was play, and basically ignored all the people. Well, after a couple trips on the leash, I decided to let her off leash, and she did really well. She ran around, greeted dogs gently (occasionally raised her hackles if a group of dogs greeted her all at once, but never displayed any aggression other than that). If a dog got too "in her face", she would generally tuck her tail and run though.
Well, starting this week, she is still completely fine around every single dog, and 99% of the people. My issue arises with the other 1%, where as she will usually walk by people, give them a quick sniff, and move on to bigger and better things....occasionally she will find someone who strikes her fancy (either in a good way, or bad...I have yet to figure that out). She will run up behind them and bark a couple times, and nip at their heels. Nothing hard, but it's enough that every time it happens, she will certainly get there attention. This usually elicits a bit of uncomfortable laughter from the person, and if called, she will (usually) come back to me and forget about them. Most often, it is males that she does this to, but there have been 2 occasions where she's done it to women (larger women both times).
However, last night, there was a gentleman walking behind us, who she was showing interest in, so I pulled Jazz off to the side, and let the man get a good distance ahead of us. As soon as I let her back on her own, she immediately sprinted up to the man, gave him a couple quick barks, nipped at his heel, and when he turned around, she jumped up and bit his arm. Again, nothing hard, but it did rip his jacket. Thankfully the gentleman was nice enough, and after hearing that she was a new pup, he said something along the lines of "Oh, she'll figure it all out soon enough" and went about his way. He (thankfully) declined my offer to buy him a new ($400) North Face jacket. Then, at this point, Jazz refused to listen to me, and would not come. I'm sure it had very much to do with the level of frustration in my voice.
Needless to say, Jazz has lost her dog park privileges for a while. At least until I can figure out how to nip this in the bud. Which I'm not very excited about, as this has been an awesome amount of daily exercise for her.
But, now, after writing that novel, the main question I have is:
How can you correct something like this? It's something that's so sporadic. She'll find one out of maybe 200 people to do this to. I'm fairly certain that if I took her to a behaviorist, she wouldn't display the unwanted action.
I really enjoy getting her the exercise, and I really don't want her to have to spend her time not being socialized, because she really does do well around other dogs, and like I said....99% of people.
I've been working with her daily on obedience training (sit, stay, leave it, come, and a few goofy tricks just to entertain her)
Any help at all would be appreciated. I'm in Colorado Springs, CO if anyone knows any GOOD trainers in the area.