Fear AGgressiion and vaccination - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Fear AGgressiion and vaccination

I brought home Rey's parvo/corona/distemper vaccine from my vet with a syringe. I went back and got a shorter syringe just to be sure I didn't poke through. I had a diabetic cat for 4 1/2 years that I had to give insulin to twice daily, so I'm familiar with how to do a subcutaneous injection. Yet, I keep putting this off and it needs to be done.

Rey trusts me completely. I am the only person she trusts. I can clip her nails, bathe her, etc. I have noticed she goes on a vengeance at wasps and bees that sting, though. lol

Question for others with fear aggressive dogs Do you think it's better for me to vaccinate her or muzzle her up and take her to the vet for it? I thought it may be less traumatic if I did, but now I'm worrying I'll break her trust. ???
KentuckyGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

It really doesn't hurt that much at all.
The most traumatic thing would probably be taking her by the scruff to inject.
But if you don't know how to do it or are nervous to do it, muzzle her and off to the vet you go.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Lisl had hers yesterday and didn't even know it happened.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Oh, I do know how to do it. Like I said, gave subcu injections to a cat for 4 1/2 years and have given subcu fluids as well. I don't know why I'm being such a weenie about this. I baby her FA too much methinks, always trying to do the "right thing." I'll take a deep breath and give her the shot tonight!

Thanks for the input!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I bet she wouldn't even notice the shot. Gave my pup her 5 way vaccination last weekend - she didn't even notice or make a peep and she's a vocal little thing

Act like it's no big thing and don't let her pick up on your trepidation. I bet she'll be fine!
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I've been practicing pulling up her scruff and loose skin for two weeks so she wont' freak out over doing something different. She thinks it's a game now. Wild 2-year-old!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

haha nice! overprotective mama!
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

I know it's very rare, but I worry about a reaction. Occupational hazard working in medical field.

As an alternative option, I decided that she probably does need a properly fitting muzzle regardless. A lot of people like the wire basket types Leerburg sells (though I know someone who swears by the plastic Jafco). Okay, so measuring her nose. This could be a sitcom and was a whole lot more funny than anything on TV. Measure the nose length and circumference of a hyperactive dog. I did clamp her chompers shut and get the circumference, but trying to measure the length - yeah right. She grabbed the tape, pulled it with her teeth, ran with it, teased me with it to get it back from her, flung it in the air and grabbed her Kong like it was a big game. Got her back obediently to sit position nicely, I put the tape by her nose, she flops on the floor, legs kicking, grabbed the tape and smiled at me. Okay, so I try a different way. I got a long sticky note pad, put it next to her nose to mark then measure. She grabbed the pencil and flipped it in the air with her teeth and there are now chewy marks on my sticky note pad.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I also worked in the medical field (RN) so I gave my own shots for years and years. OMG, I am LMAO at you!! Just relax and give the shot!! LOL!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

I have to say, the vaccine is to be given in the shoulder scruff, and not the (back of neck) neck scruff, but with dogs that I think may be sensitive to either the grabbing of the scruff or the vaccine itself (the poke or the medicine going in) I give it between the shoulder blades aimed towards the head. The shoulder area seems to hurt a bit more, either the poke or the vaccine going in, or what.

With a regular 5-way, reactions are almost zero, the 7 ways (+ lepto) are the worst for reactions.

Keep benadryl on hand at all times for reactions. We've had 2 in 12 yrs, to 5-ways. Both were easily controlled with benadryl. It is given at 1mg./lb. of body weight and usually the pills are 25mg. each.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.