Kira charged a guest in my home - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Kira charged a guest in my home

*** I KNOW I'LL GET BADLY FLAMED FOR THIS, BUT I'LL TAKE MY LUMPS AS THEY COME***

Kira did something rather strange. It happened a few days ago, and I've been meaning to write about it. And once again, it involved her not being comfortable with people in my home.

Before I describe, I just want to say that she's been an absolute angel with guests. Very neutral, sniff and walk away. Generally paid no attention to anyone.

A few days ago, my wife had a female friend over. the woman was in my house at least 2 hours before anything happened.

Kira was sitting on her ottoman (completely out of sight), in the front portion of my house. She knew the woman was there, and was neutral.

My wife was with her friend, in the family room towards the rear of my house. As I mentioned, they were completely out of sight.
My 13 yr old daughter had an incident at school, and my wife, her friend, and my daughter were chatting in the family room. I was in the kitchen.

At one point, my 13 yr old had gotten a little teary eyed, and the woman got up from her chair, and walked over to console my daughter, and wipe her tears.
Without a clue, Kira bolted off her ottoman, came barking and charging. At first I thought she had seen her cat friend, but quickly realized that she went to neutralize the woman. She didn't nip, jump or bite. She charged, and stopped at the woman. I intervened, and removed her.

I was startled by this.
Could she have picked up the sound of my daughter's sniffles? There was no way Kira had a visual on her. There are lots of walls and turns separating the rooms.

It's getting to a point where I may have to crate Kira, whenever ANYONE is in my home. As great as she can be, she's apparently not too comfortable with people in my home. It's not the first time.
She's been fine for months. I never expected this.
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

I am no expert. My mom's GSD is such a great dog, but she gets very nervous if any of the kids are upset. Your girl probably sensed your daughter was upset and was just being protective.
Axel'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

It is completely possible that she was picking up on the emotional state of everyone involved, no need to be in the same room. However, this friend was not a threat and so Kira's reaction was inappropriate as you already know.

Not much else to tell you that hasn't already been said in past threads. You know how to handle it. She needs to be managed in situations where you know she'll react, either by tethering her to you or removing her completely.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
It is completely possible that she was picking up on the emotional state of everyone involved, no need to be in the same room. However, this friend was not a threat and so Kira's reaction was inappropriate as you already know.

Not much else to tell you that hasn't already been said in past threads. You know how to handle it. She needs to be managed in situations where you know she'll react, either by tethering her to you or removing her completely.
I was completely startled and caught off guard. I agree the reaction was inappropriate, and would I have to take measures going forward.
She's been so good. People come and go all day, never an issue.

I acknowledge, that she did go through something a while back, but I haven't any reason to believe that she would charge a guest.

I honestly think that she thought the woman somehow posed a threat. She came charging as soon as the woman touched my daughter's face.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am confused. You say she had no visual on her. Could it be possible she just reacted to your daughter crying?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't doubt that Kira heard the new person move.

Dogs' hearing is insane. They can memorize what their owner's car or footsteps sound like coming to the door. Ozzy doesn't get excited at all when my mom comes home - pull in the driveway, open the garage, come in. Now when I come home, he goes NUTS.

Kira was probably listening in and heard your daughter crying, then she probably heard (what she thought) the woman advance, and she acted how she felt was necessary.
Obviously you know this was an inappropriate response, but I think people forget just how incredible our dogs' senses are sometimes.

I don't see why anyone would flame you for this. It sounds like Kira was being a typical protective German shepherd. Luckily no one was hurt, but let it be a learning experience. Even if she goes several months of being perfect, it only takes a split second for something to go wrong; it sounds like you've learned from this and will manage her accordingly.
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Last edited by Konotashi; 02-06-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konotashi View Post

Dogs' hearing is insane. They can memorize what their owner's car or footsteps sound like coming to the door. Ozzy doesn't get excited at all when my mom comes home - pull in the driveway, open the garage, come in. Now when I come home, he goes NUTS.

Kira was probably listening in and heard your daughter crying, then she probably heard (what she thought) the woman advance, and she acted how she felt was necessary.
Obviously you know this was an inappropriate response, but I think people forget just how incredible our dogs' senses are sometimes.
Okay this makes perfect sense. Hans can tell who is approaching by the sound of the footsteps at the front door, and he is penned in the back room of the house. I don't know what to tell you, Anthony.

Time and time again she has done things like this and you're always surprised.
I think it's time she's crated when people are over.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
I am confused. You say she had no visual on her. Could it be possible she just reacted to your daughter crying?
There was absolutely NO WAY Kira had a visual on the woman and my daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konotashi View Post

I've been a good student for over a year, and this is another lesson learned.
I can honstly say that all indications are that Kira had an "ear" on this woman at all times. While that's absolutely incredible, it's also a warning not to take her calmness for granted. She could be sitting 40-50 feet away, completely out of sight, and still be guarding her territory.
Good in a sense that she protects her home, but bad that she protects it when I'm there, and without a clue or reason.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Okay this makes perfect sense. Hans can tell who is approaching by the sound of the footsteps at the front door, and he is penned in the back room of the house. I don't know what to tell you, Anthony.

Time and time again she has done things like this and you're always surprised.
I think it's time she's crated when people are over.
I don't disagree, but you all know that I'm very eager to train her, and correct her. So in my defense, I don't easily accept her behavior as something I have to live with.
OTOH, if she's going to be unpredictable, I may not have a choice.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

I would hazard a guess (since no-one truly saw the whole incident) that Kira heard the guest get up, got up to check and see what they were doing, saw the woman touching your daughter and reacted to that.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.