Kira charged a guest in my home - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
bryant88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Clinton Mo
Posts: 170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
It depends on how you do it! If you do crate games with the dog and make the crate a good place to be, than it's not a problem to take the dog to his/her crate.
I tried making a game out of it but he was having non of that. He never had to crate unless we had company and got to the point he absolutely hated it. I'd say dogs handle it different it's just when they put two and two together is when they change. If you knew you was having company and crated her and she didn't see why I think its fine. But don't let her put two and two together. TRUST ME!!!
bryant88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #42 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 1,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
I don't disagree, but you all know that I'm very eager to train her, and correct her. So in my defense, I don't easily accept her behavior as something I have to live with.
OTOH, if she's going to be unpredictable, I may not have a choice.
If you're as eager to train her as you say you are, then why are you not training her? Stop giving her the opportunity to act this way. When people come over, if they're comfortable enough with the dog out - tether her, use a corrective type collar. Desensitize her to being around people.


How would you feel now if she had harmed your wifes friend? And she had to get put down? Who's at fault for that? That's right. The owners fault, because you're an adult and you've already predicted that your dog has behavioural issues. So work on them. It's like going back to basics.. when you're potty training a puppy, you take it outside even if they may not have to go. Why? Because you don't need to produce an opportunity for puppy to go in the house in order to correct it. Just don't let it happen.

I've seen dogs act punky and overconfident after getting into dog fights or biting somebody, charging somebody etc.

Be surprised by yourself, and your irresponsible choice not to take action here. Not by your dog.
__________________
Kaity, owned by

Vida (3years) & Hype, 7 weeks
Kaity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
bryant88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Clinton Mo
Posts: 170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaity View Post
If you're as eager to train her as you say you are, then why are you not training her? Stop giving her the opportunity to act this way. When people come over, if they're comfortable enough with the dog out - tether her, use a corrective type collar. Desensitize her to being around people.


How would you feel now if she had harmed your wifes friend? And she had to get put down? Who's at fault for that? That's right. The owners fault, because you're an adult and you've already predicted that your dog has behavioural issues. So work on them. It's like going back to basics.. when you're potty training a puppy, you take it outside even if they may not have to go. Why? Because you don't need to produce an opportunity for puppy to go in the house in order to correct it. Just don't let it happen.

I've seen dogs act punky and overconfident after getting into dog fights or biting somebody, charging somebody etc.

Be surprised by yourself, and your irresponsible choice not to take action here. Not by your dog.
I agree with this 100%
Well said
bryant88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #44 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Anthony8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,805
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaity View Post
If you're as eager to train her as you say you are, then why are you not training her? Stop giving her the opportunity to act this way. When people come over, if they're comfortable enough with the dog out - tether her, use a corrective type collar. Desensitize her to being around people.


How would you feel now if she had harmed your wifes friend? And she had to get put down? Who's at fault for that? That's right. The owners fault, because you're an adult and you've already predicted that your dog has behavioural issues. So work on them. It's like going back to basics.. when you're potty training a puppy, you take it outside even if they may not have to go. Why? Because you don't need to produce an opportunity for puppy to go in the house in order to correct it. Just don't let it happen.

I've seen dogs act punky and overconfident after getting into dog fights or biting somebody, charging somebody etc.

Be surprised by yourself, and your irresponsible choice not to take action here. Not by your dog.
She IS around people every day. She's been fine. She was loose for at least 2 hours prior to the incident. Are you suggesting I sit with her tehered for 2+ hours?
She happily greeted the guest, and went to sleep on her ottoman. She had no problem with her, until there was a perceived threat. In which she inspected, and backed off.


At that point, what is your suggestion?

Should I have anticipated this? She hasn't bothered anyone, and I have been desensitizing her with exposure. I have teenagers, and little ones, and she greets everyone, and hasn't had an issue in quite some time.

I have been working with her to the best of my ability.
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
llombardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Many people confuse fear aggression and reactivity with protection. This female does not have protection skills.

I disagree with this. Kira might not be trained in protection, but she sensed something wasn't right and reacted. The key here is that she did stop, meaning she knew that once she approached the situation, it was not a threat. Why do we assume that since she wasn't trained in protection that her response was out of fear? What if she has the qualities that she needs to be a GSD? It is poised, but when the occasion demands, eager and alert; both fit and willing to serve in its capacity as companion, watchdog, blind leader, herding dog, or guardian, whichever the circumstances may demand. The dog must not be timid, shrinking behind its master or handler; it should not be nervous, looking about or upward with anxious expression or showing nervous reactions, such as tucking of tail, to strange sounds or sights. Lack of confidence under any surroundings is not typical of good character.
__________________
Misty- Samoyed Mix
Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- German Shepherd CGC, TC
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ontario -
Posts: 8,991
Default

" Why do we assume that since she wasn't trained in protection that her response was out of fear? "

because we have Anthony repeatedly writing about situations where the dog was reactive , uncertain , from the time the dog was a youngster, and because many people have warned him to take measures which will basically protect the dog from a bad situation .
__________________
Carmen

**********

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #47 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 11,005
Default

Anthony, this scenario plays itself out daily across our nation.
You tend to read way too much into Kira's actions, and over-analyze everything but her farts, or maybe you do that too.
But point is...she's a dog. She'll act like a dog.
You can put your info out here to be shredded, along with your behind, or you can take your toys and go home, which is personally what I'd do at this point.

You've been a good owner to Kira and you just need to be more aware that you have a GSD there, not a Maltese or whatever Coconut is.

If you're like me, you got a GSD to help protect the house, and you need to be aware of that fact.
Or even if you didn't...or perhaps especially if you didn't, you'd not think she'd want to do that, in spite of how you've raised and trained her. But that doesn't change the fact that our breed is bred to be suspicious.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 11,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant88 View Post
I tried making a game out of it but he was having non of that. He never had to crate unless we had company and got to the point he absolutely hated it. I'd say dogs handle it different it's just when they put two and two together is when they change. If you knew you was having company and crated her and she didn't see why I think its fine. But don't let her put two and two together. TRUST ME!!!
Then crate the dog at random times throughout the day and week, and let the dog sleep in it.
Your attitude towards the crate and the act of crating goes a long way in helping the dog to see it as a "safe haven".
Otherwise, yes, the dog will see it as a punishment.

Our dogs used to hate being crated and would rather hang out outside.
But I started giving them treats when they'd get in the crate and now they run find themselves a crate to go into!
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #49 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Anthony8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,805
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
" Why do we assume that since she wasn't trained in protection that her response was out of fear? "

because we have Anthony repeatedly writing about situations where the dog was reactive , uncertain , from the time the dog was a youngster, and because many people have warned him to take measures which will basically protect the dog from a bad situation .
Something I've been very diligent about.

OTOH....

I don't consider THIS a bad situation. Does she look stressed to you? LOL

This is exactly what she was doing, before responding to whatever got her going.

Honestly, how can one anticipate what took place, from the image below?

Last edited by Anthony8858; 02-06-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #50 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Jax08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NNE PA
Posts: 22,160
Default

She looks like she needs a pillow!!!! How dare you make her sleep on a hard window sill!
__________________


~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:06 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com