Kira charged a guest in my home - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

In the words of the Taco Bell Chihuahua: "I think I need a beeger box!"
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It seems, for Kira's own protection, she should be behind a closed door, crated or on lead when strangers are in the house. Period. As was said, the price is too high if she would bite someone.

As far as hearing - GSDs have phenomenal hearing ability. My Csabre will jump on the couch, and look out the window barking.....I look and 3 doors away, someone has come out of their house and is walking their Akita AWAY, not towards, my house. A cat crosses the street - and Csabre will alert on it...again this is 3 and 4 doors away - so at least 150 - 200 feet from my front door, with the door closed, with the TV or music playing. It never ceases to amaze me what she can hear....

It is unfortunate that you have to be so diligent with management, but it seems the safest course of action.

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That's what I thought, lol. I was the same way. If someone had done that to me I'd have wanted to grab their arm and tell them to leave me alone. But she was being polite and held it back - except Kira knew. I don't think you can fault her for what she did, like it or not.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nobody has asked about voices??? People are upset, their voices go up. You say your daughter didn't appreciate the gesture? What was her reaction? Did she loudly and angrily brush the woman off? Maybe even not loudly? I won't say that Kira acted inappropriately because maybe your daughter was acting like she was a threat at that moment and that is what Kira reacted to. I will second all others who say to manage her with crate, other room or on a leash when people are in the house.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master Member

It does go to show how sensitive your dogs hearing is.

I don't know the background on this female but I like her protection skills even if it wasn't needed in this circumstance.

My female(bullmastiff mix) is pretty sharp too. She doesn't bond with or trust strangers. She is still a great dog though.
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Nobody has asked about voices??? People are upset, their voices go up. You say your daughter didn't appreciate the gesture? What was her reaction? Did she loudly and angrily brush the woman off? Maybe even not loudly? I won't say that Kira acted inappropriately because maybe your daughter was acting like she was a threat at that moment and that is what Kira reacted to. I will second all others who say to manage her with crate, other room or on a leash when people are in the house.
A complete oversight on my part. My daughter did raise her voice prior to the woman walking over. I didn't make the connection. The reason the woman walked over, is because my wife was telling her something my daughter didn't want to hear. She walked over, when my daughter started to get agitated.

I won't say she was loud, but she did change her emotion.
The woman wanted to console her.
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #27 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
That's what I thought, lol. I was the same way. If someone had done that to me I'd have wanted to grab their arm and tell them to leave me alone. But she was being polite and held it back - except Kira knew. I don't think you can fault her for what she did, like it or not.
She's a teenager...

Need I say anymore?

As I said... She's a little snot, with an attitude.
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLab View Post

I don't know the background on this female but I like her protection skills even if it wasn't needed in this circumstance. .
Many people confuse fear aggression and reactivity with protection. This female does not have protection skills.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

[QUOTE=Anthony8858;2905450]I won't say it's normal either way. She does interact, and will sit amongst our guests. Many times, she would even make an offering to play with her ball.

Otherwise....

This is where you'll find Kira 99% of her day.

I don't have any answers for you Anthony. I am really just curious. So it's safe to say the ottoman is Kira's "crate". Her comfort zone.

If Kira is hanging out with guests, then she is comfortable. If she goes to her ottoman, (when strangers are present) would it be an assumption that she isn't comfortable and is seeking comfort?

Whereas most of the time my dogs are where ever we are. In what ever room we are in. But I wouldn't find it strange if I was in the bedroom and hubby was in the kitchen, to find our dogs in the living room. In the middle of both of us. But if we had a guest, the dogs would pretty much be in their space. So I'm curious as to why Kira would seperate herself.

If I were the dog whisperer, my theory would be as follows; the tone in the room with Wife, Daughter & Guest was a heavy tone. I suspect emotions were high. I suspect it even made you uneasy, which is why you were in another room and let the 'girls' talk it out.

As in the past, Kira picks up on heavy emotions. It stresses her out. The tone in the room with Wife, Daughter & Friend came to a head - to the point where Friend got up to comfort Daughter. What ever happened at that moment caused Kira to react. (Same as she did when the party got too loud.) Stressed, she went into the room to try and change the tone. Stressed, she saw the Friend over her girl and reacted aggressively.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
Knighted Member

So...your daughter will be sneaking Kira some steak later? Lol, I shouldn't make light of this, but really - Kira did protect her. It doesn't matter what the woman's intentions were, if your daughter didn't like it, that's that.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.