I am running out of ideas for Stella..... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default I am running out of ideas for Stella.....

Been working on dog reactivity for about a year now. Some days are better than others. Had a bit of a bump in the road not too long ago, but thought we were back on track. There are not a lot of options for Stella to be off leash. So doggie day care once or twice a week has been wonderful. I get a break and Stella gets to play with other dogs and be off leash. All was well until today......She apparently was getting aggressive with several dogs. This has NEVER been a problem before. The owner was surprised and concerned that Stella was not being herself. Suggested I make sure she doesn't have an ear infection or something. So we are going to the vet tomorrow just to make sure. She has been VERY scratchy and has been shaking her head a bit too. Hope that it is just an ear infection and not the beginning of more aggression issues. Any thoughts on what might be going on if it is not a physical problem?

Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

As hard as it is to do this, don't try to think of what it could be if it's not her ears, hips, elbows, back (other common ouchy areas in our dogs). Wait and see and then worry.

If you knew me you would be doing this because I totally don't do that. But I highly recommend not doing what I do!
Old 02-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

She is acting pretty "normal" other than at the doggie place. Hope it is an ear infection....treatable and life goes on. But I honestly don't know what I will do if doggie day care isn't an option anymore. Especially since that is where she boards when we go away!!!! I will have to take her out for moonlight hikes and hope a bear or cougar or whatever doesn't eat us.

Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Old 02-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I totally understand your situation. I used to live in Trumbull and there's not a whole lot you could do with dogs off leash. So the doggie daycare is a great way for her to socialize and burn off some energy. Maybe she was just having an off day ,Hope you get this situation corrected and if she is sick she feels better soon
BellaLuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks. I just really don't know what I will do if she is not able to go to doggie daycare. I am totally out of ideas for how to exercise her. I am going to take a ride to the beach one day and hope there are no other dogs around. But that is a 1 1/2 hr trip each way so it isn't something I can do all the time. And once summer comes....no dogs allowed.

Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Old 02-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When dogs play, the ears tend to take a brunt of the bumps(at least in my pack). Hopefully she's not in any pain.
What other breeds does the daycare have her playing with? Without you supervising, you have no idea if she's been rolled or whatever by another dog.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to zivagirl

Anxious to hear what vet says.
Fell in love: Instantly
zivagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

There are all different breeds. And several other GSDs as well. She is generally on the submissive side. They were so very surprised she was so aggressive today. I think towards dogs she didn't know that well or new ones. She was fine with ones she really knew. But there are always dogs coming and going so I don't get it. I usually go on the days where they separate the large and small dogs. Stella tends to get a bit too rough with the small ones.

Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Old 02-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sooooooooo, went to vet. Ears are fine. Can't see any physical reason for her behavior. If she gets aggressive everywhere, then it may be time for a thyroid check. But she is just her usual self as far as I can see.
Now I am a bit nervous about bringing her there. But we are going on vacation in a few weeks and that is where she boards!!! And I honestly don't know what she was actually doing. I guess I will have to speak to the owner in more depth if it happens again. I did watch her on the video cam for a bit. I just saw her playing. Of course I didn't watch the whole time.... I wonder if she might just have been getting a bit carried away while playing????

That said, this morning my son joined me and Stella for a walk. We have had an issue walking by this one house that has a loose collie. The collie is very friendly. Stella usually starts her nonsense there. I tried a little experiment today. I let my son hold Stella while I walked ahead. (no worries about him holding her....he is 6'3" and BIG) The collie came over to me, I petted him and had him walk with me. Stella had eyes only for me and didn't react at all. HMMMMMM? Well, she got a bit uncomfortable after passing the collie and wanting to know what was going on behind her. So, what does that say?!?!?

Stella-GSD 6/17/11
Old 02-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Kathy,
Wasn't she always the one with a bullseye on her back? Didn't other dogs typically get aggressive with her? Or the other way around?

If I'm not mistaken, one of the biggest issues is how the fear turns to aggression.
Could this be what's taking place?
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.