How to handle a dog fight? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default How to handle a dog fight?

This morning I walked Benny on our 3 mile bike path. He was a six inch tab leash attached to his regular collar. I like the tab because there are many areas of the path where he can be unleashed and the tab does not drag, but makes it easy to call Benny back and grab it when other people or dogs are approaching.

As we ran were walking home on the sidewalk I was holding Benny by the tab leash when a male boxer ran across the street and attacked him. Both dogs were fighting. I was trying to get between them with my leg and also trying not to get tripped by the moving bodies. My instinct was to not pull or call Benny back because because I did not want to distract him from defending himself. He is only 8 pounds less than me and stronger so I could not have pulled him off when he is that amped up anyway

The whole incident probably lasted 20 second as the owner of the boxier ran across the street, wrestled him off Benny and carried home apologizing and yelling at his dog. Boxer probably weighed about 65-70 and Benny is 90. Benny had no blood, just a lot of slobber. I didn't see blood on the boxer either. Benny just shook the whole thing off as if it was no big deal.

Maybe it was not a serious fight and just male posturing, but it was loud and ugly. What should I have done? Was I right to not correct Benny? There was no way I could get him away from the dog. .

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1007494

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/610245.html
Debbieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Do not correct your dog for defending himself. Also - try not to get IN the fight - you don't want to get bit.

The best move is to grab the OTHER dog by both back legs and pull while turning around. Most dogs will release once you pick them up by their back legs. The idea is to fling the dog off of yours (once it lets go).

If a dog latches onto yours and will not let go - grab one back leg and then stick your finger up their anus. Most times this is enough to make the dog let go, then you can swing them away by their one leg. Not pleasant but works.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Eww!! Although I suppose I could do that if needed (if I could get the other dog still long enough, also), that's nasty. However, my first instinct would be to kick the other dog as hard as I could. Although... if they're really into it, a kick isn't going to cut it I've realized. I learn more and more off this forum, LOL! I NEVER correct a dog for a fight if he didn't start it. Last night I lit into my pug about her behavior, but not Grim. He didn't start it.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If no blood or bites, I'd say it was a case of male posturing.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.