Thresholds and aggression -- long - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser2012 View Post
I do not think that you did. I'm referring to the very intense correction that my trainer wants to try to use on him (have me use on him). My worry is that if he is so worked up then he will just redirect to me, even through the pain.
"I have no doubts he would redirect with a correction since he will do it without one."

Isn't this (above) a quote from an earlier post of yours?

Sounds like he will bite you with or without any correction?

Might as well at least try to correct him in that case, if he will "redirect" on you and your leg, for example.

And if he will "redirect" on you w/o any correction, what does it take to get him to do that? just seeing another dog?

Now I am assuming that when you say "redirect", you mean bite/attack you - is that correct? Or do you mean something else by "redirect"?

If your dog will "redirect" on you, I would really really recommend that you find some professional trainer/behaviorist help who is experienced with handling big aggressive dogs.

That sounds like a very dangerous dog! IMHO at least!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
No physical corrections because you are afraid he will redirect on you?

Did I read your post right?

HHHMMMM!
No, I do not physically correct him because he WILL redirect and is easily controlled without the use of physical force. Brains over brawn. I am not afraid of being bit, I just know how not be.

Not my first time in this rodeo and dealing with dogs others won't touch and I don't need to get physical to do it.

OP, I think you misunderstood my post. The dog I mentioned doesn't react because he wants to be closer either. He reacts because he is over stimulated and likes to test other dogs. Being allowed to get closer is a reward when he is calm. In your situation, being allowed to interact with the other dogs would be the reward and being taken out of the park would be the correction.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #33 (permalink)

Codmaster, that was my post. Just incorrectly quoted by the OP.

Yes, redirect as in bite, hard. And no, if he does it without a correction then it would not be advisable to add one and "see what happens" especially for someone not experienced or equipped to handle something like that.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

i totally agree not to take him to places where there are unleashed dogs, because of his issues he will just get owrse. kind of setting him up for failure. what i would do is try and find people you know that have calm submissive dogs, maybe one on on play time. you still need to watch his signals and keep him calm before he meets the calm dog. when his nose start smelling thats the curiousity and if his other signals are calm, i would take him up to the other dog. no head on meeting try and let him smell the other dogs privates. then call him back and treat and praise him, then walk together with the other dog. if the meeting doesn't go smoothly and he gets aggressive i would maually correct him put him down in a submissive postion beside the other dog, hold him there till he relaxs. then have him repeat the greeting., tell him to be nice this time, usually they will do two things they will repeat the greeting nicely and walk away, or just avoid and walk away. just make sure the other dog is very calm and submissive, goldens work well for this. but your timing has to be right if something goes amiss. by correcting him in the act tells him its not allowed. i would never try this with anyone who has a dog that tends to be dominant, or aggressive. but there are plenty of dogs that you can work with that have calm temps. this has worked well with my gsd. if you ever encounter an aggressive dog, you need to take care of the problem not him. pepper spray, dominant stance, etc. never let him take care of it. a private trainer can set you up in these encounters and teaqch you how to react in situations so that your dog understands what you want and don't want. he will be more confident if you are and he will trust you to protect him from negative encounters,. etc.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.