13 months old GSD, got some problems. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
tmy

Default 13 months old GSD, got some problems.

I have a GSD thats now, 13 months old.
I adopted him when he was 9 months from a family that went thru a divorce, and because of several reasons they weren't able to keep the dog.

When i got him he was very scared, insecure, and didnt really listen to anything i said, he also pulled me when i walked him on a leash like i was trying to kill him.

Now he's gotten a lot more calm, leash walking is getting a lot better, he knows several commands, and he is very protective from noise outside the house.

But not everything is getting better.
When i have people over, he jumps on everyone that enters the house and even outside aswell. He will most likely pee inside because he gets overexcited when someone enters the house, If i lock him into a corner in the living room he will whine and try to get past me for a long time before he gives up, and if he does he takes a break for a few minutes and then its on again.
I suppose this behavour is fixed with treats and some training but any advice is highly appriciated.

When we're outside he pulls a lot on the leach when we meet other people, he always tries to get to anyone he sees.

If we meet other dogs he growls, he pulls the leash, and even barks sometimes and he will NOT turn his back on them. If someone with other dogs get close he wont listen to anything of what i say he's all focused on the other dog, then if they get as close as 1-2 meters he usually lays down(he doesn't lower his head and ears are straight forward) then from nothing he snaps. I dont know if he's trying to attack, but it makes me insecure and afraid of being around other dogs with him. I dont know if the growling comes from him being scared or insecure, or just simply because he is agressive.. But i really doubt that he is. He haven't always been like this around other dogs either, he used to have a playmate just when i got him, but he always tried to dominate somehow.

I just find the whole behavour weird, because when we're alone he's really another dog, once theres people or other dogs involved, he just changes a lot.

My questions is how do i handle the problems he's got with other dogs?
There is no trainers in my area and i dont know if i can afford one.
I have been reading a lot about raising, and training GSD's, and im very used to dogs and how i need to behave to be a good leader.

I've tried with treats outside, he wont even pay attention to them if we meet other people or other dogs.

Sorry for my bad english, im from Norway :-)
Attached Thumbnails
13 months old GSD, got some problems.-46222_10151335496976241_79704142_n.jpg   13 months old GSD, got some problems.-9b6438d2309a11e28e8322000a1f9686_7.jpg  

Last edited by tmy; 01-21-2013 at 10:55 PM.
tmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'll see if I could give the simple answer.

First off, welcome aboard. Hopefully we can help you.
He's a real nice looking dog, and I'm sure everything will be fine.

I broke it down a bit for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmy View Post
I have a GSD thats now, 13 months old.
I adopted him when he was 9 months from a family that went thru a divorce, and because of several reasons they weren't able to keep the dog.

The dog will need to get acclimated. Be patient.

When i got him he was very scared, insecure, and didnt really listen to anything i said, he also pulled me when i walked him on a leash like i was trying to kill him.

First thing you want to do is get him to trust you. You can do this with treats, lots of playtime, and walks. No need to stress over training, or what he's listening to,.. just yet. Sometimes, just sitting in a chair, with a high value treat, and letting him come to you, turn to look at you, get close, any positive action, will get him a reward. He'll quickly associate you as a positive experience.

Now he's gotten a lot more calm, leash walking is getting a lot better, he knows several commands, and he is very protective from noise outside the house.

The calm will come with his comfort level. As I mentioned, be patient. Go slow, and give lots of praise for good behavior. His barking is more than likely not protective, but excitement. I would discourage this by calling him to you, and giving him a treat for stopping this bark, and coming to you.

But not everything is getting better.
When i have people over, he jumps on everyone that enters the house and even outside aswell. He will most likely pee inside because he gets overexcited when someone enters the house, If i lock him into a corner in the living room he will whine and try to get past me for a long time before he gives up, and if he does he takes a break for a few minutes and then its on again.
I suppose this behavour is fixed with treats and some training but any advice is highly appriciated.

You're going to have to control him. If you know he jumps on people, leash him and hold him when people come in. Make him sit next to you, and learn house manners. This is just a starting point, and not the actual cure. But my suggestion to you, is based on what you describe.
I wouldn't lock him in a corner either. Do you have a crate? Make the crate part of a happy game. Lead him to the crate, and reward for entering. Keep doing and extending the time in the crate. Let him associate being in the crate a good thing. Even when home, put him in there for 10 minutes, 20, minutes, 45 minutes, etc... Keep adding some time to the crate.

When we're outside he pulls a lot on the leach when we meet other people, he always tries to get to anyone he sees.

Training, practice, patience.
When he pulls towards other people, turn the opposite direction, and make him sit next to you. Keep doing that until he makes the connection that pulling towards someone will actually result in going the opposite direction. I did this, and it worked. If my dog sees a guest approaching, she will now automatically sit next to me, and show her manners.

If we meet other dogs he growls, he pulls the leash, and even barks sometimes and he will NOT turn his back on them. If someone with other dogs get close he wont listen to anything of what i say he's all focused on the other dog, then if they get as close as 1-2 meters he usually lays down(he doesn't lower his head and ears are straight forward) then from nothing he snaps. I dont know if he's trying to attack, but it makes me insecure and afraid of being around other dogs with him. I dont know if the growling comes from him being scared or insecure, or just simply because he is agressive.. But i really doubt that he is. He haven't always been like this around other dogs either, he used to have a playmate just when i got him, but he always tried to dominate somehow.

I would suggest you keep him away from other dogs for now. You don't know him well enough, nor have a good handle on him yet.
In this case, I would seek the advice of a trainer. Even a one time session if money is an issue. Let someone evaluate his actions, because this could be problematic for you and others, if you fail to recognize the signs of aggression or possibly the opposite... Where your dog could be put in a position to get attacked.

I just find the whole behavour weird, because when we're alone he's really another dog, once theres people or other dogs involved, he just changes a lot.

Dogs don't have to be social butterflies. Let him be your best friend, and for now, I think you should limit his exposure to strangers and dogs, until you have full control over him.
Ideally, I'd like to see you start a training class. It would work wonders for you.

My questions is how do i handle the problems he's got with other dogs?
There is no trainers in my area and i dont know if i can afford one.
I have been reading a lot about raising, and training GSD's, and im very used to dogs and how i need to behave to be a good leader.

Seem a little fixated on other dogs. As I mentioned earlier... Spend as much time learning to control him.... Alone.
That will put you in a better position to stop any unwanted behavior around other dogs.

I've tried with treats outside, he wont even pay attention to them if we meet other people or other dogs.

Sorry for my bad english, im from Norway :-)
Good luck.

Last edited by Anthony8858; 01-22-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't know. After owning this dog for four months, I would think the bond is at least becoming established. I think my focus would be on training at this point.

These behaviors sound like a dog that has had no training. The pulling on leash, the jumping on people. He is a big dog that is kind of out of control right now.

OP, my advice would be to find a good trainer who has experience with the breed. You might need some basic instruction privately before joining a group class. If your dog is pulling you around and jumping on people, it sounds like you might need more control before adding in the stimulation of other people and dogs.

Polite social behavior with people and other dogs is something that needs to be taught. Same with appropriate leash skills. I would be willing to bet that his previous family had way too much going on to spend much (if any) time training him.

Do you own and use a crate at home? Crating him in an out of the way corner of the room when you have guests over might be one way to socialize with friends without having him jumping on people. And in the mean time, work on teaching him the behaviors you do want him to display when visitors are around.

Finding a good trainer will be your first step. And then working with your dog comes in a close second. He is just behaving in the way he knows at this point. Teach him the skills you want him to have and he will thrive.

Good luck!
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
tmy

Ok, first of all.. Thanks a bunch for the replies.

He's been improving with people the last weeks, i simply just focus more on what point to reward him, and also i figured that it helps to just totally ignore him instead of struggling with making him behave, because after a little while when he figures he wont get any attention, he gives up

There's still a lot of practice needed but theres improvement!

With other dogs i havent gotten any further, i suppose the only way to fix this is to just let him meet other dogs when im more comfortable with his behavement outdoor.
tmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've been surprised at how much work it has been to socialize Nita with both people and dogs. We have had both of our Samoyed's since they were puppies and they seemed so much easier.

But the more work we put into Nita the more we get out of her, so I know that it will all pay off

Kenai - 10 yr old Samoyed Koda - 8 yr old Samoyed
Max - 4 yr old rescue Persian Nita - 01/26/2012 GSD
gmcwife1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.