Fence Charging - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fence Charging

I have a 3 year old GSD. She became part of our family at 8 weeks and I immediately started training. At this time we also had a Jack Russell terrier with some very bad habits. Although the two were very different they were best of friends. My GSD, named Freya, has basic obedience. She can sit, stay, down and heel. She is fed twice a day when we have breakfast and dinner. She sleeps locked in our room with us as she had started to soil in the basement when our Jack Russell passed away. (Our Jack Russell, Buzz, passed away about one year ago). She is only walked about one mile a day. The rest of the day she runs outside on our one acre lot which is fenced in with an invisible fence, is indoors, or going on car rides. She does NOT come when she is called if outside. Since the passing of Buzz her fence aggression has increased to her hair bristling on her back. She only charges the fence when other dog walkers are going by. This behavior is just toward's other dog's walking past our house. If she is walking on a lease herself she does not even pay any mind to other dogs. She will even bolt out of my front door if she sees a dog walking by. She charges the fence barking, hair bristling, and then will run the perimeter of the yard going nuts until the dog and walker have passed the house. When this is happening she is crazed, like she can't hear at all. She won't respond to any of her commands, not even touch her favorite. The behavior is not only embarrassing but dangerous. The invisible fence failed once and she bit a passing dog in the hind quarters leaving puncture wounds. I know I need help and have reached out to several trainers in our area but they are extremely expensive. I am alright paying that but I would like some insight to be sure it seems like what they propose is reasonable. (I have 2 separate trainers coming to the house this week to assess the situation) My neighbor's hated the dog ever since she was a puppy and now they have added ammunition. I would love any insight!! I know I need to stop this behavior. I also don't want it to seem as if she is left out all the time either, she is not. She will do this even after a car ride. I may open the car door and she will see a dog that I didn't and charge! Thank you for any help.
Freya's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quit leaving the dog out side alone. If she won't recall when you call then you need to start keeping here on a leash or rope that you can retrain her. Before she hurts someone you need to get this behavior under control.

Good luck.
swharshbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have a 19 month gsd who WAS, past tense, charging the fence. I have an electronic fence too. She went through it once when she was a lot younger. Never since then but you never know if it will happen again. Anyway, she started charging the property line and barking like a lunatic at neighbor's dogs and cats. I was concerned that one day she might just run through the e fence and besides, the barking is very annoying. If I went to get her when she started this behavior she would have a fine game of tag with me So I got an e collar from a trainer. It has worked wonders. She will now stop barking and come to me or the front door when I tell her to leave it. She isn't 100% with this but getting better every day. The other option would have been a long line or leash. I decided not to use those options because the yard is one of the only places she is off leash. But she has never bitten a dog or anything. I am watching her if she is outside, or I am out too. I don't trust her 100% yet.

And I never let her come out of the car until I give her the ok. She has to look at me first as well. And she usually sits. I am going to start enforcing the sit before she comes out more often.

How did it go with the trainers?
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Invisible fences are not safe. They may keep some of the dogs confined some of the time but probably won't work in a stress situation like you describe. The answer is simply don't leave the dog outside alone. If she bites another dog/person you will have the Sheriff knocking at your door with a nasty fine and perhaps a notice to appear in court for a law suit. An e-collar will only work if you are standing outside with you finger on the remote. What your dog is doing is completely normal, it's called barrier frustration and it is common in dogs left outside to their own devices.
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.