Dislike this behavior: Max growling at other dogs? Normal for his age? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Dislike this behavior: Max growling at other dogs? Normal for his age?

Max is 11 months old. Max goes to class at least twice a week. He goes on socialization outings almost everyday. He is generally nuetral toward other dogs. He may "stare", but I always avert his attention to a command.."heel, sit, whatever " to get his attention off. He never barks at another dog.

So, this weekend I had him in a down stay at Uncle Bill's by the front door. People came and went, no problem. Dogs in and out , no problem. Then, I hear a low rumble and think.."what was that?", I hear it again and its Max growling at a dog about 20 feet from him. I gave him a quick collar pop and "quiet!" and it was over.

Last night we attended a new class. It is a open floor time to work on AKC Obedience. Poodles, goldens, schnauzers...we stuck out like a sore thumb. (I realized how gnarly Max looks..lol.) Anyway, he was on a down stay again and growls at another dog that popped its head out of another room and looked at Max. I gave a quick pop and "Quiet" and it was over.

I dont like it! Is this normal for his age ? Will it go away with consistency? I will def be talking to my trainer on Wednesday, but wanting to get some feedback from what others have experienced at this age. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

could be age, but it also could be he is in a down position, (which is a vulnerable position) and dogs can get intimidated / don't like it when another dog (or person) stares at them. I know Masi does not appreciate other dogs giving her the 'stare' or 'stink eye'..

growling is a catch 22, I would rather have a growl as an alert to me that something is 'off', vs no growl and go in for an unexpected attack.

With that, again, a catch 22, you don't want them growling but you don't want them to not alert YOU that something is off, If mine does something like this, I tend to go with a "leave it"..and "leave it' to my dogs mean, stop, ignore, "I got it covered", mind your own business.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Personally, I would not pop him for this. I would instead do a quick round of LAT and reward him for looking and looking away without a reaction. This has worked for me much better than a correction.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Frank started at about 8 mos doing the same thing, especially with intact males that would stare at him, I used LAT at first, and then trained the "leave it" command.
Both have been very useful with new situations.
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
Franksmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I use Leave It it initially and as soon as she does, I then start LAT. You have to break their concentration first and then work on the behavior.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with Michelle, redirect for this instead of correct...some dogs see that correction as coming from what they are reacting to...backfiring and then ramping up the dog even more.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Correcting Jax with a prong definitely ramped her up, dramatically so.

If she's 100% into her reaction and I can't break the concentration there, I turn her and walk away until she's reached a distance that she is no longer behaving like a lunatic. Then I do LAT. If I can break her concentration with Leave It, I do LAT at that spot.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I will have to read up on the LAT. Max did not get amped up, and when corrected he just looked at me and said " Oops..sorry ,,my bad".

I would not categorize him as "reactive".. at least , he has not been, and I sure hope he does not become that way.

The growling only has occurred when he was laying down. So, I will watch that..and interestingly, both other dogs were intact males.

Just want to make sure I nip this in the bud.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Then what you did sounds fine, just stay proactive and if you see him start to zone in, redirect his attention to you.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Why are you surprised? He is growing up....he has an extremely strong pedigree full of dogs known for aggression and strength....he is not a Lab or a Golden

If you are planning on neutering him, do so.....

Personally, I would not tolerate this behavior.....I believe in positive training, but also in consequences. This is behavior you do not want to tolerate....yes, a prong correction could ramp him up. But I am a firm believer that redirection and reward can backfire as we really do not know if the distinction between unwanted behavior and desired behavior is crystal clear to the dog. Even a verbal reprimand helps - but not a quick glance away and reward....I have seen it backfire on people.

Do not put him in a position to fail....only to win. Do some private set ups and corrections without being in a big AKC class - get control over him before letting this happen again.

Probably not the most popular answer here.....

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.