What does everyone think of this?(leerburg.com) - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

Default What does everyone think of this?(leerburg.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Clicker and Cookies have their place! If someone can't acknowledge that, than the person is just as ignorant as those who can't acknowledge the necessity of a well placed correction!
That is correct. I personally am so sick of the liberal extremists on this. Bottom line, EVERY method or tool has its place and is effective when matched with the right dog and or situation. The real ignorance is to push a point of view and boast that this one way is for every dog when I and a lot of other veteran professional dog trainers know better.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
SFGSSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #42 (permalink)
Crowned Member

cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #43 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGSSD View Post
That is correct. I personally am so sick of the liberal extremists on this. Bottom line, EVERY method or tool has its place and is effective when matched with the right dog and or situation. The real ignorance is to push a point of view and boast that this one way is for every dog when I and a lot of other veteran professional dog trainers know better.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Exactly!
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Exactly!
Now can't we all just get along?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
Leerburg | Aggressive Dogs Q&A

It's a little past the halfway point on the page.
If you look at the list of questions at the page (which are links to the questions), it's number 30. I had to Crtl+F "goody-two-shoes" to find it. LOL

Hard dog or not, I don't think it is ever appropriate to hit a dog with a shovel, unless it is a matter of self-defense or breaking up a serious dog fight (so if she'd only hit the dog once, I'd even give her the benefit of the doubt). If she'd electrified the fence or used an e-collar or some other method of physical correction, I wouldn't bat an eye. But hitting a dog with a shovel comes with real risk of seriously injuring or killing that animal, particularly hitting it on the head.

I also question the inclusion of that story in that context, especially because it wasn't even all that relevant to the question. Even if this was an extremely hard dog and she knew what she was doing enough to not injure him (if that's possible when hitting a dog with a shovel), that's not going to describe most of the people who read that site and are dealing with fence aggression in their pet dogs.

I liked the rest of that answer, and I like her advice overall, but I'm a bit disappointed in that particular story.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!

Last edited by RowdyDogs; 01-23-2013 at 05:34 PM.
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #46 (permalink)
Elite Member

I did some short research and this was a "killer dog" destined to die. So if hitting it witha shovel? worked...
I hope he hasnt hit alot of other dogs with shovels where it made them more aggressive...
I have a new pup and she wont be agressive, but I may title her in shutzund, she has it in her.
volcano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #47 (permalink)
Elite Member

Question

' "killer dog" destined to die' because of fence fighting with other dogs? Hardly a reason to put a dog down.

And the problem solved in 90 seconds???? Fascinating!
GregK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyDogs View Post
I liked the rest of that answer, and I like her advice overall, but I'm a bit disappointed in that particular story.
In all honesty, there are a lot of things that have been done and have been proven effective in the working dog world that made my jaw drop over the years. These things that are even practiced today are not something that is usually posted publicly so JQP can read up on it. Ed dared to post it so people that do not understand could freak out. Yeah I guess that was a bad call on his part but it does not change the truth when it comes to handling hard dogs that the emotionally driven trainer would not go near in there dizziest day dreams.
When I was a kid and learning the ropes I was always told that when it comes to training a hard dog your effectiveness is limited by your emotions, till you truly understand the consequences of those limitations you will not be ready to handle a hard dog effectively and safely in a training capacity. This was one of the many things I did not understand till I witnessed the good, the bad and the ugly first hand. The politically correct way of putting this is: you are preventing a liability if you succeed and you are giving this dog a chance at a productive happy life. If you fail, the dog was headed to the Vet to be put down before you even got to the dog, so you can leave knowing you truly did everything you could for the dog, the owners and for the general public.
When you can truly understand it is this or else, your emotions tend to shift as you understand that you are truly giving this dog one last chance. I donít know about you but if I was a dog, I would choose something extreme over death any day of the week.
For the person that said he (Ed) recommended euthanasia to a lot of people. Did it occur to you that unless you are a professional in this field (in some cases even if you are) attempting these things may get you hurt if you donít know what you are doing? Giving direct professional training advice that potentially can harm the inexperienced handler/trainer is a huge liability. Yeah I would say call a professional to deal with it hands on or put the dog down too.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #49 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK View Post
' "killer dog" destined to die' because of fence fighting with other dogs? Hardly a reason to put a dog down.

And the problem solved in 90 seconds???? Fascinating!
Please don't take that out of context. He said "I have owned some nasty dogs in my life. I own a male right now that is as bad as anything I have ever seen - probably worse than anything most people will ever see in their life"
That coming from Ed means that dog was WAY WAY WAY more than just a fence fighter. Maybe you could show up with a clicker and a bag of hot dogs and try your luck with the dog
That alone solved the problem? Doubt it, but it sent a clear message approaching THAT Dogs threshold.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:14 AM   #50 (permalink)
Master Member

Default What does everyone think of this?(leerburg.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGSSD View Post
In all honesty, there are a lot of things that have been done and have been proven effective in the working dog world that made my jaw drop over the years. These things that are even practiced today are not something that is usually posted publicly so JQP can read up on it. Ed dared to post it so people that do not understand could freak out. Yeah I guess that was a bad call on his part but it does not change the truth when it comes to handling hard dogs that the emotionally driven trainer would not go near in there dizziest day dreams.
When I was a kid and learning the ropes I was always told that when it comes to training a hard dog your effectiveness is limited by your emotions, till you truly understand the consequences of those limitations you will not be ready to handle a hard dog effectively and safely in a training capacity. This was one of the many things I did not understand till I witnessed the good, the bad and the ugly first hand. The politically correct way of putting this is: you are preventing a liability if you succeed and you are giving this dog a chance at a productive happy life. If you fail, the dog was headed to the Vet to be put down before you even got to the dog, so you can leave knowing you truly did everything you could for the dog, the owners and for the general public.
When you can truly understand it is this or else, your emotions tend to shift as you understand that you are truly giving this dog one last chance. I donít know about you but if I was a dog, I would choose something extreme over death any day of the week.
For the person that said he (Ed) recommended euthanasia to a lot of people. Did it occur to you that unless you are a professional in this field (in some cases even if you are) attempting these things may get you hurt if you donít know what you are doing? Giving direct professional training advice that potentially can harm the inexperienced handler/trainer is a huge liability. Yeah I would say call a professional to deal with it hands on or put the dog down too.
I never thought of it this way. That its either extreme training to try and fix the dog or put the dog down because of major liability. If I had to chose of course I would rather get beaten and live than die. Although i would never have the guts to hurt my dog... but you made a really good point!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.