12mo Female - Scared of "one" Male GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 12mo Female - Scared of "one" Male GSD?

Training Dolly has been a breeze. She has no reactions to fireworks, guns, thunder/lightning, or loud noises in general other than an occasional sniff in that direction.

I, regularly, try to socialize her around babies, kids, people, other dogs, ect. She has always been semi-aggressive never letting another dog put her on her back and very quick to put a dog on its back if it tries to hump/play with her. Male or female, regardless of size, never intimidated her nor did she ever show any fear.

This past week (During Christmas) I took her to our local Dog park to get some needed energy out of her. While there a guy with a very beautiful male GSD decided to walk over to have a chat with us about our dogs. While talking I noticed that when his dog took a step in her direction, she turned and ran?

As we talked more and more, they (the dogs) played a little, but Dolly was still very skid-ish around the dog, hair up, teeth showing while backing up. Then the dog decided to chase her around, which she ran and then turned and started nipping at the dog (all whites very bright and showing) very aggressively all the while barking very high pitch (almost like a cry or loud whine). I let this go for a about 20 seconds hoping she would relax and allow the dog to sniff and play. She never did, nor did she ever submit(?). Just alot of nipping, high pitch barking, and teeth.

She has played with MANY GSD's in the past male and female, never showing any sign of fear or aggression.

While talking with the guy, I learned that he actually purchased his male from the exact same breeder as we did, in fact, he was from a litter we were looking into a year prior to Dolly.

Any clues as to why she all of a suddenly freaked out at the dog? He was all play, not even being slightly aggressive, nor was the owner being aggressive. Very strange? Dolly has not shown any fear to dogs ever? Very odd.

Dolly is 12 months as of Jan 6th.
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

May just be she didn't like him. I personally don't ask my dogs to love all dogs, but I do expect my dog to be polite around other dogs.

I'd have taken charge to ask my dog to knock off the inappropriate behavior, and if I was ignored we'd have left the dog park. Not fair to the other dog to have to put up with the rudeness. Setting those clear boundaries and my expectations is very important specially the first few years as pups mature and change and show poor judgement just from a lack of maturity.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowen View Post
Training Dolly has been a breeze. She has no reactions to fireworks, guns, thunder/lightning, or loud noises in general other than an occasional sniff in that direction.

I, regularly, try to socialize her around babies, kids, people, other dogs, ect. She has always been semi-aggressive never letting another dog put her on her back and very quick to put a dog on its back if it tries to hump/play with her. Male or female, regardless of size, never intimidated her nor did she ever show any fear.

This past week (During Christmas) I took her to our local Dog park to get some needed energy out of her. While there a guy with a very beautiful male GSD decided to walk over to have a chat with us about our dogs. While talking I noticed that when his dog took a step in her direction, she turned and ran?

As we talked more and more, they (the dogs) played a little, but Dolly was still very skid-ish around the dog, hair up, teeth showing while backing up. Then the dog decided to chase her around, which she ran and then turned and started nipping at the dog (all whites very bright and showing) very aggressively all the while barking very high pitch (almost like a cry or loud whine). I let this go for a about 20 seconds hoping she would relax and allow the dog to sniff and play. She never did, nor did she ever submit(?). Just alot of nipping, high pitch barking, and teeth.

She has played with MANY GSD's in the past male and female, never showing any sign of fear or aggression.

While talking with the guy, I learned that he actually purchased his male from the exact same breeder as we did, in fact, he was from a litter we were looking into a year prior to Dolly.

Any clues as to why she all of a suddenly freaked out at the dog? He was all play, not even being slightly aggressive, nor was the owner being aggressive. Very strange? Dolly has not shown any fear to dogs ever? Very odd.

Dolly is 12 months as of Jan 6th.
Not very odd at all. As a matter of fact, I'd like to give you a warning.

My Kira is now 18 months. Your description of her "not liking" any one particular dog is something I've had to deal with since she's a pup.
That little high pitched bark was fear.

Becoming "prey" is a dangerous game for your dog. It will usually invite more dogs to chase her, and ultimately get cornered and possibly attacked. I've seen the move quite a few times. I would remove her the next time she's in that position. If you insist on doing dog parks, I'd make sure she's not the prey.

My dog used to do the same exact as you describe. One day, she ran away as prey, and other dogs joined in the excitement. She ended up getting pinned, and had to have 3 puncture holes stitched up at the vet. Never again, did I expose her to a dog park, or wherever there was a chance for loose dogs.
I swore that my dog had a bullseye on her back for certain dogs.

Be careful
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
Not very odd at all. As a matter of fact, I'd like to give you a warning.

My Kira is now 18 months. Your description of her "not liking" any one particular dog is something I've had to deal with since she's a pup.
That little high pitched bark was fear.

Becoming "prey" is a dangerous game for your dog. It will usually invite more dogs to chase her, and ultimately get cornered and possibly attacked. I've seen the move quite a few times. I would remove her the next time she's in that position. If you insist on doing dog parks, I'd make sure she's not the prey.

My dog used to do the same exact as you describe. One day, she ran away as prey, and other dogs joined in the excitement. She ended up getting pinned, and had to have 3 puncture holes stitched up at the vet. Never again, did I expose her to a dog park, or wherever there was a chance for loose dogs.
I swore that my dog had a bullseye on her back for certain dogs.

Be careful
Thanks for the input. It was totally fear. Her tail was visibly hidden between her legs. I have NEVER seen her tuck her tail from day 1.

I know exactly what you are talking about. She has a way of getting chased and I have been known to physically throw dogs off her and make the owners very angry. I try to let dogs be dogs, but there is a point it gets out of hand and I refuse to let my dog get attacked.

This was different though. The dog was not in prey mode and in total play mode. It showed no sign of aggression nor any sign of any sort of bad temperament. It was a very well mannered dog. I just don't understand why my dog was so afraid of it and no other dog? It really had me worried. I did step in and stop it, but just has me concerned. She has solid recall and snapped out of it and laid at my feet when I called her away, but still had her tail tucked, which is very odd and not at all normal.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that during the 20 or so seconds she was running and high pitch barking another dog decided to jump in (in full prey mode) and she pretty much man handled that dog and went right back to fear barking. The 2nd dog had no effect on it, she just threw it off and kept at the male GSD.

I'm hoping this is just a puppy fear stage and nothing trauma from her past? I've had her from 9 weeks and we are pretty much glued together.

Last edited by gowen; 01-03-2013 at 10:18 AM.
gowen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
May just be she didn't like him. I personally don't ask my dogs to love all dogs, but I do expect my dog to be polite around other dogs.

I'd have taken charge to ask my dog to knock off the inappropriate behavior, and if I was ignored we'd have left the dog park. Not fair to the other dog to have to put up with the rudeness. Setting those clear boundaries and my expectations is very important specially the first few years as pups mature and change and show poor judgement just from a lack of maturity.
Thank you for the input! I hope it is just a maturity thing, but she had some serious fear. It was total fear aggression with the high pitch bark and tail tucked when I called her off.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

if ur dog is not spayed and he was not nutered she was probably just hormonal

think teenage girl meeting a big strong studly man she just didnt know what to do with herself, but when he came near she would scream and slap his face like a typical girl.

bitches get really wierd around some dogs that are full of testosterone
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
if ur dog is not spayed and he was not nutered she was probably just hormonal

think teenage girl meeting a big strong studly man she just didnt know what to do with herself, but when he came near she would scream and slap his face like a typical girl.

bitches get really wierd around some dogs that are full of testosterone
Interesting thought. Both were intact but she went into heat back in October.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

trust me that is what it was

dont worry

if he was not intact tho she would never respond like that

bitches just get wierd around certain intact males even if they are not in heat does not matter if they are both intact the hormones flow.

the high pitch park kinda like a yelp ive seen this all before lol the tail tucked was submission but stil shes scared of the way she is feeling. Is the only way i can put it.

Last edited by pets4life; 01-20-2013 at 11:01 AM.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
trust me that is what it was

dont worry

if he was not intact tho she would never respond like that

bitches just get wierd around certain intact males even if they are not in heat does not matter if they are both intact the hormones flow.

the high pitch park kinda like a yelp ive seen this all before lol the tail tucked was submission but stil shes scared of the way she is feeling. Is the only way i can put it.
Thanks for the input. She has yet to act this way again and the pet owner was only visiting the area, so I have yet to see him again.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.