First bite - VERY LONG post - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When I go to training, I do expect to be criticized. That is part of the reason I go...I need that other pair of eyes to let me know what I'm doing wrong, or not doing right. But my trainer also will give me compliments when I 'get' it. That does boost my confidence, but when I get all confident, then I get lax and screw up! So balancing the need to know and knowing is fine. I don't want to leave training crying, but leave seeing how much progress we made.
Always remember that you are in control of your program, and end it(the session) when it feels good/don't stop when you and your dog are in a bit of a battle....change it up to end it positively, and always on a good note.
Many suggest to end it when you get frustrated, but I'd rather change up a bit and get myself and my dog back in a "happy zone" then end it. Even if we didn't reach our goal for that session.
Don't let your trainer dictate your progress according to the others in your class. Group classes are great, but keep it individual for your needs and goals. I always crate my dog for a bit after our session so he can process what he just did. That is as important as the lesson.

Keep a journal as others suggested, it does help to see where you've been and where you are headed! Set some goals and think about what you'll be doing for your next lesson that builds off where you ended the last one.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 01-05-2013 at 10:58 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
When I go to training, I do expect to be criticized. That is part of the reason I go...I need that other pair of eyes to let me know what I'm doing wrong, or not doing right. But my trainer also will give me compliments when I 'get' it. That does boost my confidence, but when I get all confident, then I get lax and screw up! So balancing the need to know and knowing is fine. I don't want to leave training crying, but leave seeing how much progress we made.
Always remember that you are in control of your program, and end it(the session) when it feels good/don't stop when you and your dog are in a bit of a battle....change it up to end it positively, and always on a good note.
Many suggest to end it when you get frustrated, but I'd rather change up a bit and get myself and my dog back in a "happy zone" then end it. Even if we didn't reach our goal for that session.
Don't let your trainer dictated your progress according to the others in your class. Group classes are great, but keep it individual for your needs and goals. I always crate my dog for a bit after our session so he can process what he just did. That is as important as the lesson.

Yes, I always work in group classes at my pace and at my dog's level. If my dog is not where the rest of the group is, I will adjust a little for my dog -- not go so far away, go back before the trainer says, or I will sit an exercise out and take a break. If I am ahead of where the class is, I will work on something else between exercises, tricks, stationary exercises. And yes, after doing something hard or frustrating, change up and do something that you know both of you do well and end the session on a positive note with lots of praise.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
A class with six dogs in it is exactly what you need to do. That is enough for the distractions, enough individual, enough people, enough space.

This is not going to be easy to hear, and may not be popular here, but, this is my take on this: I really do not care what the teenagers did, that one incident should not have caused your dog to become what he is. Your dog is a young fear-reactive dog, you can call it weak nerves, whatever. In my opinion, you should neuter this dog if he has not been neutered already.

This is also NOT the end of the world. Your dog can make GIANT strides. And you will learn too how to manage situations with him in it. The training, and plan on continuing to train for a year. Classes once a week. Just keep signing up. The training will help your dog's confidence in YOU, and You will improve your confidence in your dog and in yourself. Keep on going, and I will be very surprised if you read this thread 12 months from now, and you are not in a whole other universe.

It may be that your parents will never feel comfortable around your dog. They are in their seventies and a dog bite takes a lot of time to heal, and longer for older people. You may choose to board your dog if you spend the night over there. Or if it isn't too cold, and you have to go some to get too cold for a GSD. Take the dog and leave it in your vehicle. You can go out every 2-3 hours and take the dog for a quick walk. But do not force the dog on your parents.

Just taking your dog out and exposing them to people and places isn't enough. In fact, it can be counter-productive if your reaction to people and places causes him to be more wary. It is hard to not be nervous when we are afraid our dog might lunge and bite someone. That is scary. So cut that out. Take him to classes. Work with him. Throw the ball in the back yard for exercise. Take him on walks only if there isn't a lot of distractions and people, go late at night, early in the morning, or drive him somewhere if you must.

Remember that you are not just managing him, or hiding him at home, you are going to classes. Your dog is learning to trust you and gaining confidence, you are upping your leadership skills by reading/learning/practicing good leadership. NILIF might be a good place to start.

If you do not give up on this dog, in another year, you will be at a different place. In two years, this dog is going to be even better. But, to get to that place, you need to change what you are doing right now. Walking him with your hands down at your sides, where you need to correct more -- that is not what you need to be doing. Let them teach you how to walk him. How to teach him to walk on a loose leash. Be open to different types of collars. A prong collar may be the right choice with your dog. It might be the wrong choice. Treats may be the right way to go. Corrections may shut your boy down, and they may be what he needs. Under the careful eye of a good trainer, they should be able to match you and your dog with a method that gets good results. It isn't one size fits all.

He will mature, and your leadership will improve, he will gain confidence in himself, you will gain confidence in him, he will learn to trust you, and you will learn to trust him and you will learn to trust yourself. And there will be a bond. You will automatically set your dog up to succeed and will automatically praise him for doing so and that bond will grow. You will automatically tweak the situation you and your dog is in so that it is imperceptible. And negative behaviors will go way down.

It isn't over night. Keep a diary. In three months, you should see a difference. In six months even more. In 12 months, I will be surprised if he isn't a different dog.

Good luck.

GREAT POST! Please, OP, pay close attention to it.
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
GREAT POST! Please, OP, pay close attention to it.
I read all replies and do take them seriously. I really appreciate Selzer adding her comments because I know she has a lot of experience.

My first dog training facility did criticize ME. I just couldn't do the fancy footwork, and I was new, Hank was probably only 4 or 5 months then. They made me feel stupid. I also did not think they liked my breed of dog. My first night there for advanced beginner while Hank was barking, some woman who was training a different class came up and sprayed him the face with water.

The new trainer corrected me numerous times yesterday without making me feel stupid. Big, big difference.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

One of the biggest mistakes I made was sticking it out with a trainer that was afraid of my 10 week old puppy because of her breed. Huge mistake.

I am glad that your new trainer has GSDs and is not going to be flipping out simply because he has pointy ears.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.