Prong or e-collar???? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Prong or e-collar????

It's been a while since I posted anything about Stella's reactivity. (at least I think it has been) Anyway, things were going well after I started using a prong collar. Then we had a bunch of loose dogs charge at her at different times, in different places,....it was crazy. And the weather was nasty so I probably did not walk her as often for a while. Soooooo, it seems we have regressed and Stella has gone back to reacting. Not as bad as before thankfully. My trainer got me an e-collar to use for Stella's barking in the yard, and said I should use it for reactivity as well. I don't really know if I feel comfortable with the e-collar yet. The prong was highly effective, it just looks awful. And I don't want to spend the day shocking her in the yard, while on walks, etc.
A different trainer I go to for more "fun" training is more on the treat treat treat side of things. But I know treats mean nothing to Stella once she gets her "Poof on". (all puffed up, tail stiff)
Just curious as to what might be better....e-collar or prong? And I don't want to start a debate about training methods. For me and Stella, the prong enabled us to take walks and keep things under control......
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by katdog5911 View Post
But I know treats mean nothing to Stella once she gets her "Poof on". (all puffed up, tail stiff)
For me and Stella, the prong enabled us to take walks and keep things under control......
One of the primary things for good training is timing.

And once your dog is puffed up and has a stiff tail then you probably lost the training window where you would be in control and teach. Instead you are in the bad place of reacting to the bad and doing damage control.

Distance is your friend with a reactive dog and teaching. I personally would maybe have the prong collar on, but wouldn't be relying on that for the training.

Instead I would be working to help my dog become less reactive, rather than punishing once I was LATE and my dog is in freak out zone.

Did you start the clicker training and 'The Surprise Game' yet? How did that work after a few weeks?

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If you do not act your dog might. Who is the leader and defender, well it all rest on you.
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I did my own version of that I guess. But once Stella saw a dog, or whatever, even before she got her "poof on", she wouldn't care if I was a walking filet mignon, wrapped in bacon. And we have gotten to the point where she will "leave it", (the other dog or whatever) if we are not too close. We were at the point of actually being able to walk right by them! Now the big issue is when walking and a dog is coming right towards us. Although, yesterday we did walk by a dog that was coming towards us on the opposite side of the street.
So, what is the best course of action if she starts poofing up? Or what do I do when I see a dog, although she usually sees it first? I maybe can treat her at that point, but I am doubtful. Do I go the other way? Making her sit and try to focus on me doesn't really work out so much.
Maybe we just need to get back at it again.....
Old 12-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony View Post
If you do not act your dog might. Who is the leader and defender, well it all rest on you.
Not sure what you mean????
Old 12-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

People just do not go out and use these collars, lazy is bad. They use them for training in the right way and after a certain point.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
People just do not go out and use these collars, lazy is bad. They use them for training in the right way and after a certain point.
I must be in need of a strong cup of coffee because I am still not sure what you are trying to say.
I did not just go out and use the prong. I have worked with a trainer who worked with Stella first and then showed me. I haven't had the e-collar very long and with the holidays and other stuff, I haven't seen my trainer since getting it. We have talked on the phone about how I should use it. I just don't know if it would be more effective than a prong. And I am not sure I like using it for this particular issue.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Not sure what you mean????
You have to be the leader and defender, K9s know that! So I wonder what kind of people want a dog these days? Never ask your dog more then yourself please.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
I must be in need of a strong cup of coffee because I am still not sure what you are trying to say.
I did not just go out and use the prong. I have worked with a trainer who worked with Stella first and then showed me. I haven't had the e-collar very long and with the holidays and other stuff, I haven't seen my trainer since getting it. We have talked on the phone about how I should use it. I just don't know if it would be more effective than a prong. And I am not sure I like using it for this particular issue.
Sorry, do what you would for your self and help a dog along, dogs are not people
Old 12-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
Now the big issue is when walking and a dog is coming right towards us.
Just because a dog is walking towards you doesn't mean you have to keep walking towards it while you are working thru this issue. Going down a side street. Taking your dog off the sidewalk and into a sit with you between it and the oncoming dog/handler. Crossing to the other side of the road. Not walking your dog in areas where you may meet a dog until you work thru this again.

Go back and really watch/listen to the video The Surprise Party and don't dismiss the time element involved. Though since it sounded like things were better for awhile if you are consistant things may progress well. Set your dog up to SUCCEED rather than fail so if you know something is too much than avoid it rather than have another bad experience.

Did you purchase/view the DVD 'Calming Signals' by Turid Rugaas? Tons of information on reactive dogs and how to help early on before the situation is out of hand, and how to look for the quieter precurser signals our dogs throw out that we 'stupid' humans tend to miss entirely or misread.

YOu want the DVD not just the book...

Amazon.com: Calming Signals: What Your Dog Tells You: Turid Rugaas: Movies & TV Amazon.com: Calming Signals: What Your Dog Tells You: Turid Rugaas: Movies & TV

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.