I need Help ASAP - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I need Help ASAP

My wife and myself are at our wits end. This forum is one of our last hopes for our GSD. I will keep things brief but as informational as possible.
My house consists of 4 dogs.
1 Chocolate lab- lazy and older male. 100 lbs. owned since puppy.
2. GSD- owned 1 year, was a rescue. is probably close to 3 yrs old. Female
3. yorkie- 6 lbs male.
4. Golden retriever brown- female, less than a year old. 45 lbs probably.

These dogs have been together for at least a year and have had no issues, other than typical dog issues, fighting over a bone or a toy. Nothing major.
all the dogs play together, romp and run through the house.

One night about 3:30am the retriever walked down the hallway and the GSD just flat attacked her. We burst out of the bedroom split them up. The retriever ran and hid, the GSD was just angry and we separated them for the rest of the night until later in the morning. When they got back together they played and were fine the entire day. That evening the retriever was in the kitchen eating. The GSD was in another room, she saw my wife walk out of the kitchen and she charged in and attacked the retriever again... same deal broke them up, retriever ran and hid. the retriever isnt even trying to be dominant. She immediately submits.
Other facts- The GSD loves our yorkie, she even helps feed him out of her own food bowl.
She does not get aggressive over toys. She doesnt really play with them.
When she goes out to pee she will find where the retriever pee'd and cover it with her own.
She does not like the retriever to come inside from being outside before she does. If i open the door they come running but the GSD will always charge her and make sure she doesnt get to the door first.
We spoke with a GSD specific trainer, he does things for the police etc. He said it was a female vs female dominance thing, he suggested the GSD would have to find a new home with no female dogs. FFW we found a home, husband wife, 2 kids, 1 male yorkie. Figured it would be great. 15 acres to run on etc. The GSD has been there a few days everything has been fine. We get a call today that the GSD nearly killed their yorkie after they walked out of the house. They returned the dog to us, saying otherwise she was a great dog. So now it is not a female vs female thing.
We dont know what to do aside from putting her in a home where she is the only dog is putting her to sleep the only solution?
savage22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Are they spayed and neutered?
Sounds like classic same-sex aggression to me.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Are they spayed and neutered?
Sounds like classic same-sex aggression to me.
All are fixed, the GSD is 'suspect' but the vet believes they are fixed.
I thought it was same sex aggression too until today when she attacked a male yorkie...
Old 12-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

I believe the yorkie in the second home was a male, so not same sex aggression there

Frankly, I'd find a home with no other dogs and make sure you inform them of her behaviors.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I believe the yorkie in the second home was a male, so not same sex aggression there

Frankly, I'd find a home with no other dogs and make sure you inform them of her behaviors.
thats what I am going to try and do.
My wife is afraid this will turn toward human aggression.
She hasnt been terribly aggressive toward people but she doesnt just allow someone to walk into the house unannounced either. (which i like)

Last edited by savage22; 12-25-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Frankly, your dog was in a heightened mode, in a new home, free access to a dog she does not know. She works fine in your home with your Yorkie and your older lab.

The problem is that you brought it another female. That female is not reaching sexual maturity, and your GSD bitch is simply not ok with having another bitch there.

I think that you should rehome the Golden puppy, and be a three-dog home while you have a GSD.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

In my experience with same sex aggression, spaying won't have any impact on the behavior. It goes beyond hormones. As for her attacking the other dog in the home you just placed her in, there are several possibilities as to cause. But it does sound like she would do best in a home that has no other pets.

OP, I would contact a GSD specific rescue and ask if they can courtesy post her on their website. List her as a dog that needs a home without other pets. I would try to place her in an appropriate home before thinking about euthanizing her as unadoptable. Perhaps if you make it known up front when you contact rescues that you will keep her until she is placed you'll have a better chance of getting someone to respond.

Until she is placed in a home, keep her separate from the other dogs by crating her when they are loose in the house.

Good luck.
Sheilah
ETA: Dog-dog aggression has nothing to do with being aggressive to people.
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Dog- aggression or other animal aggression doesn't transfer to humans, not like that, unless she's a genetic mess and is going to be aggressive to humans anyway.
But someone could get injured trying to break up fights.

Crate and rotate until you can find a spot for her. Enlist the help of a good rescue, would be a good plan.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Dog aggression has nothing to do with human aggression.

I feel bad for you. But it will be a whole lot easier to rehome the Golden puppy than to rehome a GSD that has a problem with other dogs.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Frankly, your dog was in a heightened mode, in a new home, free access to a dog she does not know. She works fine in your home with your Yorkie and your older lab.

The problem is that you brought it another female. That female is not reaching sexual maturity, and your GSD bitch is simply not ok with having another bitch there.

I think that you should rehome the Golden puppy, and be a three-dog home while you have a GSD.
This may be a good plan...Goldens with no issues would be easier to place than an aggressive GSD.

BTW, we have a rescue and foster and we've found that yes, initially things will be okay when we foster, but sooner or later, there is a dog (maybe 1 in 4-5 dogs that come through) that'll throw the balance off badly.

The last notable time it happened (other than we're dealing with it currently) one of our Dachshunds (a 20lb. one) almost killed two of our other dogs, and he's not been aggressive since the foster left.
The foster wasn't even really the target of his aggression but we had to keep her separated after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.